Mammoth Mart

Started by farmingtonvalleymall, March 11, 2008, 07:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmingtonvalleymall

I didn't see a Mammoth Mart thread so here's one.

Check this out. Vintage slide of the Mammoth Mart in Bristol, CT from 1970. It was framed by the photographer to only show Marty and the M

Crawford

Wow, first pic of Mammoth Mart I've seen in a long time. There was one in the Gansett Plaza in Rumford RI. I believe it opened when the plaza did. This chain was bought out in the mid-70s by Kings. I remember a commercial that showed the signs switching out. The one in the plaza has been a Burlington Coat Factory ever since Kings went bust.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

Anonymous

Great Pic - reminds me of the first one I visited in Raynham, MA as a kid.  You mentioned the picture was "framed by photographer" - does that mean the rest of the sign is on that slide?  Which really means, how can we get a look at that whole slide!

farmingtonvalleymall

There is no more to see except a little black space above and to the left that I cropped out. It cuts right off at the M, sorry.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
Wow, first pic of Mammoth Mart I've seen in a long time.

The Mammoth Mart in Scarborough, Maine. Thanks to Bob Osborn of Saco, Maine who scanned it from a 1967 Scarborough High School Yearbook.

Crawford

QuoteOriginally posted by patk
this might be the Mammoth Mart of  Rumford RI?
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qz8f0s91mkk5&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=2444589&encType=1

Make sure to go partially  to your left to see the Burlington Coat Factory, that is the former Mammoth Mart.  The Job Lot (former Grants) has since closed down and an Aldi will going into the space. The building towards the back and to the right of Job Lot is a bowling alley and the large building immediately to the right of Job Lot is a former Star Market which became an Almacs before the chain closed in the 90's. That building is still vacant and rumor has it a Wal-Mart moving in and demolishing the entire structure for the new store.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

JimSawhill

There used to be a Mammoth Mart at the corner of School Street and Ellington Road. The Store became a Mars, then an Edwards (they moved from their old Finast location) and is now a Big Y.

JimSawhill

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 08, 2008, 11:08:04 PM
There used to be a Mammoth Mart at the corner of School Street and Ellington Road. The Store became a Mars, then an Edwards (they moved from their old Finast location) and is now a Big Y.

Update, after Big Y left, I believe it became a gym and a Grossman's...

Retail_247

Retail_247

Retail_247

I found an archive of several annual reports from King's & Mammoth Mart

https://archive.org/details/mammothmartkingsstoresannualreports/mammothmart1973/mode/2up

They have a lot of interesting pictures (including some from the inside of Mammoth Mart)
Retail_247

Retail_247

I found this photo on Google a year or two ago of a Mammoth Mart sign in a background, it appears that this photo has since been completely wiped from the internet

I'm not sure exactly where this location is / was, but if I had to take a guess I'd say its the former Mammoth Mart location in Foxboro, MA (later King's, than Bradlees, now an Ocean State Job Lot store)

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Retail_247