Bradlees in TOMS RIVER NJ. [ 9 pics ]

Started by NJxxJon, March 11, 2008, 01:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJxxJon

ITSSSSSSS STILL THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!   [[03.08.08]]

Boscovs????????????????????

Most the lighting was bright for this building not being in use for    12 Years.....................( 411 from my girlfriend)

"NYCE" signs still at the bottom of the doors. ... . . . . .......:bigsmile:

Register Bays were still there. (nj really doesnt do much with retail) I would buy this lot if I had some cash. I will be uploading a shop-rite and grand union from down the road.  I, myself will not try to get into locked buildings but I might be able to get a hold of some people running this. ...............Why all the useless space?????????
JN

GothicPrincess

Fabulous pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You would think after that long the lights would have burned out...note* cash drawer sitting on the register...sahhhhhhweet!!!!!!!
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

C. Fontaine

Nice job Jon!!  I like that Boscov's sign!:insane:

NJxxJon

......yeah I try to do my bestest.......... :bum:
JN

XISMZERO

Wow, great job! What a ratty building and plaza, eh? Gotta get down here in May(ish).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

I've been dying to go back to NJ to go to a Sonic.  It seems like their advertising up here is viral, considering the closest Sonic is 200 miles away!  It makes you want to go even more...:insane:

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I've been dying to go back to NJ to go to a Sonic.  It seems like their advertising up here is viral, considering the closest Sonic is 200 miles away!  It makes you want to go even more...:insane:

There are 2 sonics near me not listed. White Castle is the shizzle too.
JN

Crawford

wonder who pays the electric bill in closed down buildings like these
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
wonder who pays the electric bill in closed down buildings like these

Good thought. Like I said the lighting looked like it was changed in the past year. I dont know what the hell people do in these buildings either.......Like actual work?
JN

XISMZERO

Electricity is probably paid for by the building realtor/plaza owner for all the parcels within the plaza. I spoke with Anita of Dead Malls about this phenomenon and have come to the conclusion they're probably lit and the vacant ones are kept on as part of a package deal, paid in advance.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Electricity is probably paid for by the building realtor/plaza owner for all the parcels within the plaza. I spoke with Anita of Dead Malls about this phenomenon and have come to the conclusion they're probably lit and the vacant ones are kept on as part of a package deal, paid in advance.

Wow If Rent could work like that. :bouncing:
JN

Great Eastern

They leave the lights on a lot now there because the Toms River Police (And even when it was called Dover Twsp) had a lot of problems with kids breaking in and hanging out inside.  Use to past there about 2am on a Saturday night in the summer and when the cops got there , the kids would scatter like roaches LOL.  Running across Route 37 and the Garden State Parkway.
They required the property owner to keep some of the lights on for sercurity.  It was the same for the old Treasure Island (Which was actually an old Shop-Rite Supermarket) behind this Bradlees.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Great Eastern
They leave the lights on a lot now there because the Toms River Police (And even when it was called Dover Twsp) had a lot of problems with kids breaking in and hanging out inside.  Use to past there about 2am on a Saturday night in the summer and when the cops got there , the kids would scatter like roaches LOL.  Running across Route 37 and the Garden State Parkway.
They required the property owner to keep some of the lights on for sercurity.  It was the same for the old Treasure Island (Which was actually an old Shop-Rite Supermarket) behind this Bradlees.

I have pics of that shop-rite as well....been late on uploading pics.....THANKS!
JN

C. Fontaine

Same even with open stores.  I was a closing mgr at Papa Ginos for a few years and the police always advised us to keep some lighting on overnight to make it easier for them to catch burglars.

Great Eastern

Funny thing is the same thing use to happen to the Bradlees in Bricktown on Route 70 when it closed .  The trouble with that one was it was set back some so you didn't see much from the highway and except for the entrance, there wasn't much glass to see inside..

I wish I has a photo of the roadside side for that Bradlees, it was an original.  Round with the triangle support legs.  Love to make a lighted model of it LOL.  Have to check with the library there or in town records if they have a photo or plans for it.

M&M

I AM GAY 4 CALDOR

Holy Moley, I live pretty close to Toms River!!! I am gonna take everything from that place!!!

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by I AM GAY 4 CALDOR
Holy Moley, I live pretty close to Toms River!!! I am gonna take everything from that place!!!

haha......whats your name besides that SCREEN NAME.
JN

I AM GAY 4 CALDOR

Great Eastern

QuoteOriginally posted by NJxxJon
QuoteOriginally posted by I AM GAY 4 CALDOR

haha......whats your name besides that SCREEN NAME.

The property of the Toms River Caldor is still owned by Vornado (Two Guys former parent company) and I heard a few months ago there was talk of a possible Trader Joe's going there.

Good luck going in there...  The parking lot there at the old Caldors (nee 2 Guys) is where the Toms River Cops love to fill out their nightly reports.  There and by the old Shop-Rite by Bradlees.  And a few nights a week, there is a guard inside the building, Found that out one night a few weeks ago when I broke down with a rental car there and forgot my cell.  I was walking to the Foodtown there when a guy came out from there in a uniform and asked me if I needed to call a tow.  Vornado does put guards in their properties.

And besides the Toms River Shopping Center there has roaming security there because that is the place.  Back I believe it was 1996 or 97 where a teacher from Ocean County was abducted from the Caldor parking lot and raped and murdered.  The way they caught the kid who did it was she had a small recorder on her and whole thing was recorded..........  Chilling

So good luck if you try to steal anything for there... AND IT IS STEALING IF YOU DON"T ASK THE OWNERS OR LIQUIDATERS FIRST !! because you might get an ichy TR cop or shopping center sercurity guard popping caps in your butt !   :duh:

I AM GAY 4 CALDOR

I understand that, but if I go there and ask the guards if I could possibly take the sign and put it on my truck??? I don't see why not, it's not like they are gonna ship it to another BRADLEE'S down the street....

Great Eastern

Signs,  registers, shelves, mostly all the items left in the store are cataloged by the liquidators.  I know some of the Bradlees, Caldors and a few Grand Unions that haven't been leased yet still have most of the fixtures in them.  The liquidator looks for a store fixture reseller to buy the store's lot and after some time they either auction the fixtures or have an open sale on the premises.   They never just give away anything just to give it , even more so the guards who the liability falls on for missing cataloged items..

The signs are worth a small fortune at a scrap yard with the price of metals today.  

That Bradlees and some of the other area ones (like Grand Union, Shop-n-Save) that aren't leased I found out tonight that the contents are being sold through a liquidator in PA somewhere.  Remember just because a company goes out of business and bankrupt say in 2001, does mean the company is totally dissolved today.  A trustee & company is held until the debt is dissolved.  They hire the liquidators to sell the companies fixtures, properties (if any) and take care of the leased property and equipment (item like registers, computer systems, forklifts, handling equipment) The trust corp that was set for Two Guys didn't offically close until 1995 some 13 years after the stores closed their doors.  And according to some state records, the trust for dissolving most of the big closed chain stores debts (Caldor, Bradlees, Rickles, Clover even Herman's World Of Sports) are still around as of Jan. 2008.

My friend who is a manager of a store by the old Bradlees in TR said most of the items inside should be moving out before the summer because there is talk of leveling the structure to make way for a new unannouced anchor for that mall.  And when he talked to one of people from the liquidator firm a while ago, she said to him tell are selling everything, including the sign LOL.  He thought she was kidding by she said they really do sell them or if they don't sell they scrap metal channel type signs for the value of the metal.

If you go to Beacon Scrap in Freehold, once in a while to see store signs in the heaps of scrap metals. I remember seeing a Clover sign and a few Caldor signs there in around 2004.  And in a scrapyard in Newark just before Xmas last year, I saw about 5 Ames signs and a few Rag Shop signs being loaded into a metal cutter.  I know it is a shame but the fact is $$$$$ in the end.

I remember Caldor items being sold at a fixture liquidation sale in New Brunswick back in 2000.  My friend bought 5 Caldor shopping baskets for his workshop. And the best part was they were only 15 bucks each.  I remember I wanted the Playstation , Nintendo and an old Atari video game Kiosks they had for sale but they didn't take credit cards at the sale, Cash & Carry only. By the time I came back with the cash, they were gone !

The best bet for finding the sales on a closed store fixtures is when a chain folds or closes.  Check the legal section of a newspaper.  They have to list the sale in the newspaper for the open sale or auction of the stores contents.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Great Eastern
Signs,  registers, shelves, mostly all the items left in the store are cataloged by the liquidators.  I know some of the Bradlees, Caldors and a few Grand Unions that haven't been leased yet still have most of the fixtures in them.  The liquidator looks for a store fixture reseller to buy the store's lot and after some time they either auction the fixtures or have an open sale on the premises.   They never just give away anything just to give it , even more so the guards who the liability falls on for missing cataloged items..

The signs are worth a small fortune at a scrap yard with the price of metals today.  

That Bradlees and some of the other area ones (like Grand Union, Shop-n-Save) that aren't leased I found out tonight that the contents are being sold through a liquidator in PA somewhere.  Remember just because a company goes out of business and bankrupt say in 2001, does mean the company is totally dissolved today.  A trustee & company is held until the debt is dissolved.  They hire the liquidators to sell the companies fixtures, properties (if any) and take care of the leased property and equipment (item like registers, computer systems, forklifts, handling equipment) The trust corp that was set for Two Guys didn't offically close until 1995 some 13 years after the stores closed their doors.  And according to some state records, the trust for dissolving most of the big closed chain stores debts (Caldor, Bradlees, Rickles, Clover even Herman's World Of Sports) are still around as of Jan. 2008.

My friend who is a manager of a store by the old Bradlees in TR said most of the items inside should be moving out before the summer because there is talk of leveling the structure to make way for a new unannouced anchor for that mall.  And when he talked to one of people from the liquidator firm a while ago, she said to him tell are selling everything, including the sign LOL.  He thought she was kidding by she said they really do sell them or if they don't sell they scrap metal channel type signs for the value of the metal.

If you go to Beacon Scrap in Freehold, once in a while to see store signs in the heaps of scrap metals. I remember seeing a Clover sign and a few Caldor signs there in around 2004.  And in a scrapyard in Newark just before Xmas last year, I saw about 5 Ames signs and a few Rag Shop signs being loaded into a metal cutter.  I know it is a shame but the fact is $$$$$ in the end.

I remember Caldor items being sold at a fixture liquidation sale in New Brunswick back in 2000.  My friend bought 5 Caldor shopping baskets for his workshop. And the best part was they were only 15 bucks each.  I remember I wanted the Playstation , Nintendo and an old Atari video game Kiosks they had for sale but they didn't take credit cards at the sale, Cash & Carry only. By the time I came back with the cash, they were gone !

The best bet for finding the sales on a closed store fixtures is when a chain folds or closes.  Check the legal section of a newspaper.  They have to list the sale in the newspaper for the open sale or auction of the stores contents.

I will goto Freehold because its closer to me to see old signs......other than that Newark and A brunswick are out of the question .....:exorcist:
JN

Anonymous

Total time warp, cool.

The red stripes are still on the floor,wow.

I find the liquidating process somehow, fascinating.

njt42

Lol I live in toms river!! Like not even 3 minutes away from that bradlees. I see it everyday!!:insane:

d_fife

NJxxJon

12/19/2011 - Drove past with my fiance today........................GONE. F!!!ing gone! A new shop rite is in the back and construction everywhere. I am glad I got these pics when I DID!!!!!! Wish I could have got more of other things in the area.....the signs of the old shoprite are there I still think...... sucks  :-\
JN

CTAmeshopper

WOW that's a shame glad you got pics when you did!  :(

TRJ_22487

I know the feeling of recently being at a place that was vacant forever and then suddenly it's gone
I shot a bunch of video at the Berlin, VT Ames in early 2009 when it was still fully intact, abandonment still inside the store 7 years later, and within months it was fully renovated as a Family Dollar. Good thing I shot all that video. It used to be on youtube, but my account got deleted

The old liquor store in my town of Keene NH was vacant for about 10+ years too, sign still flipped inward on the road sign, and just suddenly out of nowhere a few months ago it got a noticeable renovation, looks to be used by the college now