Wilsons to close 160 stores

Started by dmx10101, February 28, 2008, 11:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmx10101

MINNEAPOLIS  (Feb. 25) Wilsons The Leather Experts announced Friday that as part of a cost-cutting initiative, it would close up to 160 mall locations and eliminate about 938 store-related positions. In addition, the company announced that it would convert the remaining 100 stores in the mall division to a new "Studio" concept, which will focus on women's fashion accessories.

The company said the remodeling of the 100 stores should be completed by August.

"The decision to take these actions, while very difficult, is the right move for the future of Wilsons Leather," said Mike Searles, Wilsons Leather's ceo. "We expect the cost reduction initiative will enable us to reduce our working capital needs and strengthen our business, as well as provide capital for our remodel efforts to convert all remaining mall stores into our new "Studio" concept. Initial test results for the Accessories business in our new concept stores are very exciting and we look forward to rolling out this concept soon."
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Crawford

I wondered what happened to this store. The ones in the Emerald and Swansea mall closed months ago. Too bad, I had gotten some nice coats there.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

beachgal26

I just visited the one in our local mall today and they will be gone within about 4 weeks.  It's a shame since it's always been a good chain with nice stuff, but times are getting tough...

jmcnamara96

all my leather coat are from them:o