Defunct retail dreams.

Started by Hddfan135, February 21, 2008, 06:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hddfan135

Did you ever dream about being in an Ames, Caldor, or any other retail store?

I had one just last night. I was in a Caldor that kinda resembled a Walmart (hate to say it) supercenter. It also had a grocery section and flat-belt escalators just like in Hawley Lane (Since that's the only caldor I remember being in). It also had a very high ceiling.

Rayco7030

i did quite qa while back

i went back in time to King's
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

Anonymous

I've had dreams of being in Woolworths. The dreams are so pleasant. It's like reliving the pre-1998 era.

Mobil

I remember one time having a dream that the Kmart near me closed. It really did some time later! Interesting... The store opened in 1974, closed in 2004 and became a Home Depot.

JimSawhill

I dreamt that a local Supermarket (in East Hartford, CT, where I grew up) was closed, and I bought it. The funny thing is now it is closed - after the supermarket (in 1976) moved to its 'old' new location, and the space is empty.

rjstheiv

I had a dream that they re-opened hills and i was like the only one in the store or something...i cant really remember it that well...I know i was in the one on Baptist Road because of the shopping center it resembled...it was pretty weird.

nims57

I had a dream I was at Bradlees in the 70's, and this was in 2006. Later that night I had a heart attack!

Marc82

I had a dream last night I was at The Bristol Centre Mall in Bristol, CT. The mall closed in 06 and was torn down last year.

Marc82

I had a dream last night that several times I drove past this abandoned supermarket. Finally I pulled into their parking lot to take a look. Part of the building was boarded up, but I could see that they fled the building in a hurry. There was a rack containing cartons of cigarettes. There was a a partially empty rack containing greeting cards. And the register terminals were still there. In my dream I remember thinking "Let me get my camera. This is perfect for the Ames Fan Club Site." The supermarket was located on a side street off a major heavily traveled road. I couldn't even tell you where it was located - What City, Town, or state. Nor do I know what the store was. But I was thinking it was an A&P.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
I had a dream last night that several times I drove past this abandoned supermarket. Finally I pulled into their parking lot to take a look. Part of the building was boarded up, but I could see that they fled the building in a hurry. There was a rack containing cartons of cigarettes. There was a a partially empty rack containing greeting cards. And the register terminals were still there. In my dream I remember thinking "Let me get my camera. This is perfect for the Ames Fan Club Site." The supermarket was located on a side street off a major heavily traveled road. I couldn't even tell you where it was located - What City, Town, or state. Nor do I know what the store was. But I was thinking it was an A&P.

Geesh, that sounds like the old A&P in Newington. It's off a heavy traveled road too. However, the store has been empty since late 2007, and there has been construction material inside the store for a while now. But it sure sounds familiar.

jmann

I'm always having dreams that i'm at the Naugatuck Valley Mall in Waterbury CT. The mall closed in 97 and I think torn down in 98. Sometimes the mall looks like it did when it was opened and sometimes it looks completely different with stores i've never heard of.

TheFugitive

I have these all the time.

Mind you, when you are in retail management and are spending 60-80 hours of your life each week
in the store, they are more like nightmares than a dream.

Stuff like being in an Ames Store with 175 registers at the front end, and every single one of them
is paging you for a void.

Or being at the conveyor belt in the warehouse of a Service Merchandise store where they are
ringing catalog number NE1RX (Remington Nose Hair Trimmer) over and over so many times
you're stepping and fetching like Lucille Ball in the candy factory.

Or of trying to write a Hills employee schedule with a looming deadline when they've just informed
you your store payroll for next week has been cut to $375.26.

Or of building a giant Berlin Wall of Campbell's Soup Cans, stacking them one, on top of the other,
on top of the other...

bubcolbert1952

I keep having this dream that always has me going back to 1985, buying beer for the Super Bowl at a Safeway. ???

ynkeesfn82

I had another dream the other night about the old Mall at Bristol Centre. In real life it's been torn down for 5 years now. In my dream it didn't look like it did in real life. 2 details I remember from the dream is that the Chinese Buffet that was in the mall in real life was a banquet hall. And also in the dream there was a clothing boutique selling clothes for Plus Sized Woman and that very night they were supposed to have a Fashion Show for Plus Sized Women. -- Oddly enough it was a night of strange dreams.

TheFugitive

I had another dream where I had to take a test to get a promotion at Service Merchandise
and the questions were all either nonsensical or unanswerable.

For example, scads of detailed specs out of the catalog about a particular high-end ballpoint
pen that we sold, complete with catalog number, tip size, gold carat count of the casing,
warranty details, etc. etc. etc.

All leading up to "and manufactured in Denmark.  The exact population of Denmark at this moment is?"

Woke up in a cold sweat after that one.