Main Menu

Vinyl Records

Started by TRJ_22487, July 22, 2011, 01:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Quote from: BillyGr on March 21, 2023, 09:46:10 AMThat may also depend on location - given the original poster is in CT, where Walmart and Target are more recent stores (probably mid 1990's at the earliest, similar to this area of NY around Albany), by the time those stores arrived, CD's or other forms were likely the leader.

None of the Ames stores where I was assigned carried LP's.  I joined the company in early 1988.  I can't speak to every store in every region but for sure none of the Ames locations in the Midwest that I was involved with were selling vinyl at that point.  Our music rack jobber was Handelman and this may have been their decision. I don't recall if they handled the entire Ames chain or just our region.

Of course you could go to the mall in 1988 and find vinyl in lots of other places.
I had gotten rid of mine because as an Ames manager you had to be mobile and an LP collection was kind of tough to lug around.

jconsolmagno

I had got the Beatles Anthology 3 on CD from Ames. I know that for a fact. Also got Ringo Starr's Blast From Your Past from there as well.

Now, I do have a late 1980s Best Of Frankie Vallie vinyl I picked up a few years ago sealed with an Ames sticker. I think that was a mid-1980s release.