Cumberland Farms

Started by Hadley, January 13, 2008, 12:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadley

Convience store in New England (i think its still around)

Discuss

C. Fontaine

Ohh yes they are, and they have cheap fountain beverages!  $.89 for any size you want, including the giant cup!

NJxxJon

They ARE here in NJ still. Just ran by not the best people. I never seen the fountain drink -but then again jersey gets x'ed out on other drink deals....haha
JN

Lastdaysofrain

There was/is one in Narragansett, RI that we used to frequent when we would vacation down there when I was a kid.  I loved it.  There are almost none in Metro Boston but a lot further outside of the city and up in NH, RI etc.

Everytime I go to one I feel like I'm on vacation for some bizarre reason.

arnoldziffel

I have seen them in New Hampshire I think.  If not, then it was connecticut.

Great Eastern

I know there are still loads of them from Ocean, Mercer and Burlington Counties on south in New Jersey. I haven't seen any in North Jersey where I live most of the year.  I love them, they are a great pitstop.  It was nice that Gulf Oil who are their parent company used their colors in the CF scheme.

When I was living in Ocean County in the early 1980's , you lived for Cumberland Farms, WAWA and 7-11.  They were the only oasis with signs of life in the winter time south of Toms River in that era. :boring:

The CF in Bayville changed to a Kwik-Mart with generic fuel back in the 1990's. That sucked because they took out my favorite Zaxxon machine that was there since 1980 LOL.

M&M

store215

They had one near me in PA, but it lost the Cumberland Farms name and became a generic "Country Farms" mini-mart and is kinda shady.... There are a few other larger ones too in PA branded as Gulf/Cumberland Farms, but only a few

JimSawhill

There are CUMBERLAND FARMS in Florida. I take my golf cart, to the one near me - so I can pick up foodstuff. Good stores.

C. Fontaine

My friends and I used to hang at the Cumby's down the road from me in Dudley, MA in front of Ames.  I remember getting the rock hard Bazooka Joe gum and some other candy with a tattoo in it.  We used to stick the tattoo's on the side of the building, a few which are still there today!

FearlessSwan

Mervyns

In the Philadelphia area they are all co-branded with Gulf, such as the ones in Wynnewood and Wilmington, DE.

wwefan101

in oxford ma they got 3   2 with in mins of each other 2 with  gas  and 1 with out  they got the best gas prices at time

ynkeesfn82

If you get New England Cable News on your cable system the President of Cumberland Farms will be spotlighted on their show "The Boss" tonight (6/4/12) at 8PM.

buzz86us

for me they are pretty much the local equivalent to 7-11 (wish there were some here). I like the slurpee ripoff they call chillzone but for some reason it doesn't measure up to the genuine article.

buzz86us

Has anybody noticed that more and more of these are closing down to be replaced by lame generic convenience stores I am wondering if their in trouble or if they are just trying to cull the herd so to speak of their older stores to renovate their well performing stores. It seems everywhere I look I see a former Cumberland Farms that has become Country Farms or something else. Though generic looking they have pretty uniform distinctive buildings.

BillyGr

Probably a combination.  Here's info on the greater Albany (NY) and surrounding areas.

In this area, a few have closed down over the years as you mention, primarily within certain areas - both stores in one town closed while the ones in two other towns nearby remained open, for example.

Meanwhile, our local store has been renovated TWICE - once to expand it into the whole building (it was one of the style that started out with a small restaurant space next door) and a second to add the hot foods (pizza and such).

A couple others nearby that also have a vacant space next door haven't been expanded (though I think they use the spaces for storage, even though they have signs that they are available for rent).

And another smaller store (without the second storefront) was completely demolished and replaced with a larger store.

Also, at least three or four smaller stores around remain open without any renovation/expansion (though a couple may not have space to do so within their properties).

So, quite a mixed bag around here.

zonemad96

They must be in trouble if they had to resort to using David Hasselhoff for their advertisements. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/08/21/hasselhoff-signs-being-stolen-from-cumberland-farm-stores/

BillyGr

Quote from: zonemad96 on January 26, 2014, 11:16:51 PM
They must be in trouble if they had to resort to using David Hasselhoff for their advertisements. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/08/21/hasselhoff-signs-being-stolen-from-cumberland-farm-stores/

I'd guess they picked him originally as someone who is (still fairly well) known, but probably someone they could get less costly (being not out there as much and a smaller chain that couldn't afford a more current star).

It may have worked better than they expected - after all how often does a store get news coverage about their advertising?  The people taking the signs made it a much bigger advertisement than they expected.

zonemad96

Quote from: BillyGr on January 27, 2014, 11:27:25 AM
Quote from: zonemad96 on January 26, 2014, 11:16:51 PM

I'd guess they picked him originally as someone who is (still fairly well) known, but probably someone they could get less costly (being not out there as much and a smaller chain that couldn't afford a more current star).

It may have worked better than they expected - after all how often does a store get news coverage about their advertising?  The people taking the signs made it a much bigger advertisement than they expected.

"the signs have become popular items to steal, police say."
"The Cumberland Farms worker, whom authorities have not named, suffered a head injury when he was hit by the thieves’ SUV and dragged, police said. He remained hospitalized in critical condition Wednesday."

I don't think that's the type of attention they were going for but if it helps them out so be it. I wonder what ever happened to the poor dude who ended up in critical condition over it.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on March 04, 2014, 03:37:11 PM
http://www.wggb.com/2014/03/04/cumberland-farms-to-sell-some-stores-outside-new-england/

While that link doesn't say specifically, I saw elsewhere that it is 16 or 17 in NJ and the rest split between DE & PA.

Seems like a sensible move, since that is a fairly small number of stores and they are isolated from the rest of the chain (even the NJ ones mentioned were along the shore and the southern part of the state, not nearer to either NY or CT stores) - even though FL is as well but that seems to be a common idea for chains from this area of the country catering to those who move there or split their time between NY/NE and FL.

Not to mention that they would have more competition in those areas from chains (Wawa primarily) that would make it more difficult to compete even with their upgraded food offerings that they are putting in the new/renovated Cumberland stores.

JSIDA17

Probably the best place to get slushies under one dollar.

giantsfan2016

Connecticut Cumberland Farms news:

We have 2 Cumberland Farms in Southington. An older one (with gas station) at 909 Queen Street. (Route 10) and a brand new state-of-the-art store (with gas station) on West Street (Route 229) next to Kizl's that opened in 2015.

Years ago what is now an independent mini-mart in a small strip mall on the corner of West Street and Jude Lane was a Cumberland Farms with no gas station.

They're rumored to be building a state-of-the-art store in Bristol (with gas station) on the corner of Pine Street and Emmet Street across from Valero Gas.

They're also going to be building a state-of-the-art store (with gas station) in Wallingford on Route 5 where a popular banquet hall used to be. I do not know if they're going to be keeping the one at the corner of Route 5 and IVES Road open.

JSIDA17

The Thompson, CT location has closed and turned into a local convenience store (they still have the slushie machines my friends told me! Yay!)

Everything Community

There are Cumberland Farms locations in Florida. For example, that location is in Lake Worth. That store sells beer and other liquor too as there is a Florida law that allows grocery stores, supermarkets, and convenience stores to sell these products in Florida.
You cannot see attachments on this board.