Main Menu

Lunch counters

Started by march573, December 14, 2007, 09:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

march573

Does anyone remember the lunch counters inside Ames? We had one in Gouverneur, NY. My Grandmother always used to takes us there after shopping. The hamburgers and fries can not be matched at any resturant today. That was in the late 70's and Early 80's

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by march573
Does anyone remember the lunch counters inside Ames? We had one in Gouverneur, NY. My Grandmother always used to takes us there after shopping. The hamburgers and fries can not be matched at any resturant today. That was in the late 70's and Early 80's

the one in Belmont NH did in its last few years. When  Ames was Zayre in Belmont and Concord, they closed the lunch counter the second they became Ames;.

NJxxJon

They should have bought some subway or quiznos..........................:insane:
JN

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by march573

The Ames in Ogdensburg's Park Plaza had a lunch counter, too.  It was taken out in the early 1980's.  The fact that the Kmart at the other end of the plaza having a full-size restaurant might have had something to do with that, too.

march573

I did not shop at the Ogdensburg one until later. The one in Canton had a lunch counter too.

beachgal26

I never visited an Ames with a lunch counter, but I sure do remember the great food you could get at the ones in GC Murphy and K-Mart.  (For all you youngsters, try to remember a time when you had to travel to find a place that cooked french fries and actually served fountain Cokes.  Ahhh, those were the days!!)

:saint:

GiantApe67

I used to work in Woburn, MA from 1988-1992 and there was a Zayre's (now a Super Stop and Shop) that had a little food area near the housewares area of the store.  As pathetic and sad as it sounds, I really used to enjoy heading over there for a BLT, fries and a Coke.  I'd usually be the only one there, reading a Stephen King paperback, but it was nice to catch a little quiet solitude whereas my life at the time was pretty much in shambles.  I remember one Christmas Eve-day when all the office hot shot were heading out to get lubed before seeing their families and they asked me along.  I declined, much preferring to sit alone in peaceful joy at my little table at the back of the store.

shakethis1234

When ames took over the hills stores in Penn can mall and Carousel Mall they kept the snack bars

Crawford

All the Zayre stores in my area had one. Some even had video games tucked in the corner. I recall waiting for my food and playing Galaxian. The fries were nice and crisp and the hamburgers square shaped like Wendy's used to be. All were closed when Ames took over. Another store that had great food was Ann & Hope. What I wouldn't do for one of their hotdogs and a Large cherry ICEE.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

ronn0326

when the Mount Pocono store was rebuilt after the fire (first new store opening after the first chapter 11), there was a food counter... maybe Subway?  can't remember anymore.  but it did have food... the whole store was part of a big new prototype.

Toys4Joy

There was an Ames in Queensbury, NY that if I recall correctly, had a lunch-type counter until sometime in the 90's.

The Adamantium Elbow

I don't think any of The Ames stores I've been to had snack counters until they bought out Hills. Even then I still don't recall ever being in any that had them. It's just as well since usually they weren't too far from a McDonalds.

JamesAsal0734

Starting around 1999, many new & remodeled Ames stores were fitted with a "Snack Express."

The Snack Express included a small seating area (depending on the store configuration) and served coffee, cold drinks, hot dogs, chips, cookies, and a small variety of unappetizing convenience store style microwave sandwiches (chicken patty, BBQ pork, etc).

The Snack Express station in my store was busiest on "55 Gold" Tuesdays, serving the senior shoppers.

Jonah Norason

So did the Ames that were Hills pre-1999 get their snack bar refitted as a Snack Express? What was the Hills snack bars called?