Main Menu

Radio Shack

Started by Jag67, June 17, 2005, 06:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubcolbert1952

Since a new thread was started just to discuss a new RadioShack commercial today, I came to this thread to ask a question I've had for awhile: does RadioShack still have any clearance outlet stores? There once was one in Atlanta in the same shopping center as a regular RadioShack, but both stores closed long ago, around 2000.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on September 11, 2014, 02:13:50 PM
Radio Shack may file Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/radioshack-says-it-may-need-file-bankruptcy-n200851

Honestly, who didn't see this coming? I give them 5 years top before they go under.

Hudsons81

Here's a late 1970's picture of the former Radio Shack that was at 2932 Biddle Avenue in Wyandotte, Michigan. A Progressive insurance agent office now occupies that spot (and the building itself looks totally different today).

And here's where it relocated to, 14100 Fort Street in neighboring Southgate, where it continues to operate. It may have relocated in the mid-to-late 1980's.

retailisking

If they make it at all, I suspect there will be very few if any corporate stores remaining and the local small-town dealer-franchisees will dominate what remains of the chain.

ynkeesfn82

Hudsons81 - That building where Radio Shack is today is very cool looking.

TheFugitive

They need to revert to their core business.
Teenage guys building pirate radio stations.  ;D

TRU7536

Quote from: retailisking on December 22, 2014, 09:51:31 AM
The end is close at hand
http://investorplace.com/2014/12/radioshack-stock-rsh-monday/#.VJgsTl4Bds

Yea they are on their last leg. I bet by next year they will be or be in the process of GOB.

MikeRa

Quote from: TRU7536 on December 22, 2014, 05:41:23 PM
Quote from: retailisking on December 22, 2014, 09:51:31 AM
The end is close at hand
http://investorplace.com/2014/12/radioshack-stock-rsh-monday/#.VJgsTl4Bds

Yea they are on their last leg. I bet by next year they will be or be in the process of GOB.
That will be 6,000 to 9,000  stores they will be closing
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

In Southington, Connecticut Radio Shack has been in the same plaza since the 1970s. I think it may have been one of the plaza's original tenants. At just over 2,500 Square Feet it might be hard to fill the space. It's in the Queen Plaza which was built in the 70s with a Zayre that is now Bed Bath Beyond and Bob's Discount Furniture.

In Bristol, Connecticut they are in their second location in The Bristol Commons - the Price Chopper Plaza. They may even have been somewhere else in the plaza at one point before the overhauled the plaza in the early 90s. I'm not sure though. Originally they were located on the Price Chopper side of the plaza (formerly Caldor). Then they moved to the other side of the plaza in a spa ce that was once a bank and then a children's consignment store called Once Upon a Child. (They moved into a bigger store front elsewhere in the plaza). There is a small 1100 Square Foot Store front that is empty that looks like it's directly in back of Radio Shack. Maybe when Radio Shack closes they can combine the 2 spaces. As it is they're redoing that section of the plaza. Next to the Radio Shack are 2 side by side spaces that were once KB Toy Works and Fashion Bug (later Rainbow). See page 2: http://fairfieldretail.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Bristol-Commons_Annex_041714.pdf (Note: This is the latest version of the lease plan. It's not up-to-date. Space 2 is now Aaron Rental. Space 11 I believe is part of the expansion of Planet Fitness. Space 12 is now empty. Space 19 is now a Military Recruitment Office). Space 14 is Radio Shack and Space 17 is the 1100 Square Foot Space I mentioned in back of Radio Shack.

There was another Radio Shack in Bristol. It was at the now demolished Mall at Bristol Centre. It closed several years before the mall did. It was really too bad because the employees at the mall store were much nicer than the ones at the Bristol Commons Store. As it is I don't understand why they had 2 stores so close together. The 2 stores were 9/10ths of a mile apart!

Waterbury, Connecticut had a couple of locations. 2 that I know of in recent memory. One on Wolcott Street in the former KMART Plaza and one at The Brass Mill Mall. The one at the former KMART Plaza is part of a daycare center that takes up 5 store fronts. I don't know if it still does or not, but for a while the Radio Shack fixtures were still in there even though it was taken over by the daycare. It's been quite a number of years since Radio Shack closed. I don't know if the one at the Brass Mill Mall is still open or not.

AmesNewington

The Newington store must have been with the plaza since it was built, which was about 1987. The plaza underwent a facelift about 10 years ago. Radio Shack is at the very end of the JoAnn plaza on the north side. Modell's, which used to be KB Toy Works is next door. I'm sure the space would be filled rather quickly. Another vacancy in the plaza is the former Planet Fitness, which moved.

MikeRa

The Radio Shack in Neshaminy Mall has been their spot since 1974, when the Lit Brothers wing was built.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

The Radio Shack at the Westfield Meriden Square in Meriden, Connecticut is having a Going Out Business sale. Technically they're calling it a Clearance Sale, but usually when stores have Clearance Sales the walls aren't bare and people don't have to dig through boxes of crap to find stuff to buy.

retailisking

RadioShack has definitely accelerated its rate of store closures in the past two months but it isn't nearly enough to avoid BK. Even now, 90% of Americans live within five miles of a RadioShack store, and there are 23 RadioShacks within  a 25-mile radius of Sacramento, to cite one example of how much RadioShack is overstored.

shore72

I stopped in their mall location in Salisbury, MD this weekend. The signs just said clearance, 25% off everything in the store, but it sure looked like a closing sale. Lots of empty shelves. I had a good chat with an employee who said corporate was closing one of the their three stores in town, but they hadn't officially decided which one yet. One of the others is in a dead shopping center (not terribly old, but the anchor was a Super Fresh that closed.) The landlord has dropped rent to only $500/month! The main thing that lead me into the store was their surprisingly competitive price on HP ink cartridges, especially with the sale.

ynkeesfn82

Business as usual at the Southington, Connecticut Radio Shack.

Hudsons81

Green clearance sign on a window at the Southgate, Michigan Radio Shack. Didn't go inside, though-was driving at the time.

jason83080

I don't live within five miles of a RadioShack anymore. I think they closed the three immediately around me - one of which was a fairly new location in an affluent plaza - and, if you look at Google Maps, there's ONE RadioShack between the cluster of stores in and around Cleveland and the three that line US Route 250 over in Sandusky.

Guess they don't want my business. Ironically, Kmart, Quiznos Subs, and RadioShack are all 'prospering' around the Lorain/Amherst, OH border, while other locations in different - sometimes, nicer - areas of town were closed down. I'm actually surprised that the one remaining Cici's Pizza franchise isn't down there, too. (There WAS one, but it closed down. Oh, the irony.)

(Also, my apologies if I missed it, but did RadioShack have any sort of closing sales, or did they just disappear?)

retailfan

The thing that keeps radio Shack surviving in the  not so good parts of towns is there prepaid phones  Dish network etc
Sold a lot of prepaid dish when i worked there.

retailisking

Hudsons81

Quote from: Hudsons81 on January 06, 2015, 02:42:53 PM
Green clearance sign on a window at the Southgate, Michigan Radio Shack. Didn't go inside, though-was driving at the time.

Additional details have been revealed: I went by there again yesterday and this time I was able to see through the windows into the store-not a single shelf was bare, nor were they heading that way.

TheFugitive

TRU7536

Quote from: TheFugitive on February 03, 2015, 12:46:44 PM
It's getting interesting!  A more intriguing suitor has arrived at the table.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2015/02/report-amazon-interested-radio-shack-stores?et_cid=4396494&et_rid=82422372&location=top

I think amazon is a Better idea than Sprint.

retailisking

Before he started Amazon Jeff Bezos studied RadioShack's method of distributing product to their stores.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on December 28, 2014, 01:37:09 PM
The Radio Shack at the Westfield Meriden Square in Meriden, Connecticut is having a Going Out Business sale. Technically they're calling it a Clearance Sale, but usually when stores have Clearance Sales the walls aren't bare and people don't have to dig through boxes of crap to find stuff to buy.

The one at the Westfield Meriden Square Mall is gone as of Monday February 2nd. In an article in The Meriden Record-Journal about the closing of Sears Appliance and Hardware in Wallingford it mentions the uncertain future of Radio Shack which is located in the same plaza as the closing Sears Appliance and Hardware Store. A person at that store says Radio Shack still has several years left on their lease there.

ynkeesfn82

Did anyone else get a CueCat bar code scanner at Radio Shack years back? You took the device which you hooked up to your computer scan a product bar code with it and it would bring up the product's website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat

ynkeesfn82

Radio Shack in  Southington, CT is open and there's a sign in the window that says "We're Open. 94 Years and Counting. #teamradioshack".