Main Menu

Radio Shack

Started by Jag67, June 17, 2005, 06:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag67

i did post a topic on it but it wasnt very popular so i deleted it lol...I like radio Shack and they have some sweet stuff but theyre kinda expensive. I like their old 70's logo much better too

TRU7536

Radio Shack suxs, lol. I should know, i work for them. Its a evil and cheap company. They really dont focus on what they use to sell, parts, radios, etc. 40% of their business is cell phone now. That what every that works at Radio Shack cares about. T he good thing about them, the cell phones, they are cheaper if you go into Verizon or Sprint. Dont ever work for this company, people dont last long working for them!

Jag67

I know. like 70% of the store is cell phone stuff and all the radio stuff has been moved to the back of the store. Might as well call it "Cell Barn" or something

thedisneystore967

that's a good idea!!!! lol....:insane:

storehistoryguy

I wish I had a picture of it but I once saw a Radio Shack up in Lancaster Pa. that was in a early 1900's house. It looked strange.

storehistoryguy

Radio Shack Telephones.

Zayre88

Radio Shack at Augusta Marketplace.  Radio Shack in Canada has recently been renamed "The Source" by Circuit City.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Radio Shack at Augusta Marketplace.  Radio Shack in Canada has recently been renamed "The Source" by Circuit City.

Are they associtated with Circuit City now?

An old RS Battery

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

Are they associtated with Circuit City now?

It's a long story but since last year, they are associated with Circuit City in Canada only....  Read this:

Radio Shack started in Boston more than 80 years ago.  It was acquired by Tandy Corporation from Texas in the 1940s.  Tandy spun off its foreign retail operations into InterTAN, Inc. in 1986.  So then, Canadian RadioShack stores were run under a licensing agreement by InterTan Canada Ltd. But InterTan was acquired last year by Circuit City, setting off the legal fight over the RadioShack name.

Circuit City is the second-largest U.S. electronics chain and RadioShack didn't want its name - and products - to help bolster a key competitor.  Radioshack sued Circuit City to stop it from using Radioshack name in Canada.

All Radio Shack stores in Canada are now operating under the name "The Source by Circuit City"

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Crawford

Another store found in pretty much every single mall and every other shopping plaza. The help varies from excellent to embarrassing. I remeber the Tandy computers and going in here for antenna wire and to test tubes for our ancient television. Decent buys can be found on occasion. Right now, I buy my mother's hearing aid batteries here since they are cheaper than the drugstore, I also buy my cordless phone batteries here since they install them for free.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

d_fife

this radio shack is in gardiner maine.

Caldor1999

i heard news that there gonna clsoe 700 stores across the usa

By Nicole Maestri
2 hours, 34 minutes ago

RadioShack Corp. (NYSE:RSH - news), whose chief executive has admitted to lying on his resume, on Friday said quarterly profit fell 62 percent after a switch in wireless providers led to an inventory write-down, sending its shares to a nearly three-year low.

The consumer electronics retailer, which said it was hiring legal counsel to investigate the admission by CEO David Edmondson, also announced a new turnaround plan that includes closing 400 to 700 company-operated stores and liquidating slow-moving inventory.

The company said it was "unwise" to issue earnings forecasts for 2006 given the uncertainty of the turnaround plan, which could cost up to $100 million.

"We have been very cautious on (RadioShack's) ability to execute the wireless transition smoothly and are skeptical on the just-announced turnaround," Lehman Bros. analyst Alan Rifkin said in a note. "We would not be owners of (the) shares at this time."

RadioShack shares were down $1.61, or 7.8 percent, at $19.14 in afternoon New York Stock Exchange trading after touching as low as $19.02.

FALLING EARNINGS

Fourth-quarter earnings fell to $49.5 million, or 36 cents per share, from $130.9 million, or 81 cents per share, a year earlier.

According to Reuters Estimates, excluding 22 cents per share for the inventory write-down and a 2-cent charge for an accounting change, profit would have been 60 cents, which compares with the analysts' average forecast of 66 cents.

Sales rose 5 percent to $1.67 billion, compared with analysts' target of $1.62 billion.

The results come two days after Edmondson admitted that he lied about his academic record on his resume and on the company's Web site. The discrepancy was first reported earlier this week by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

At an investor conference, Edmondson began by apologizing for any embarrassment the situation caused and said the issue was now in the hands of the board.

As for the quarterly results, Edmondson said sales were "good" in low-margin nonwireless categories like MP3 players, but were weak in high-margin categories, like batteries. Sales of wireless products, a key profit driver, were below targets.

Last year, RadioShack said it would switch phone carrier partners to try to revive its wireless sales. It agreed to sell Cingular Wireless phones and cut ties with long-time ally Verizon Wireless. It also signed a new 11-year deal with Sprint Nextel Corp. (NYSE:S - news).

But the transition, which took place at the end of the year, turned out to be more difficult than expected.

On Friday, RadioShack said it took an inventory write-down of $62 million in the quarter, and it is replacing old, slower-moving merchandise like speaker wire and outdoor antennas with new, faster-moving items

"Our business model for many years has been based on high- margin, slow-moving products," Edmondson said during an investor presentation. "These products are taking up valuable space in the store that can be much more efficiently utilized."

RadioShack said it would liquidate some products, take "aggressive" mark-downs on others and let some stay on store shelves until they sell out. It will continue to sell some of the products on its Web site, though not in the stores.

The company also expects to add about 200 kiosks in 2006, relocate some stores to better sites, and close two distribution centers.

RadioShack, which has 7,000 company-owned and dealer stores, estimated it would incur costs of $55 million to $100 million on the inventory write-downs and store closures in 2006, although it may take some of the costs in 2007, depending on when it closes the stores.

"While the execution of the turnaround plan will trigger the recognition of significant costs," Edmondson said, "we are confident that the steps we are taking will put RadioShack back on the track to sustained profitable growth."
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

Not really suprised about this. Most of their stores nowadays are just glorified cell phone shops. And especially in such a throw-away "walmart" society that we have today, these stores don't make much sense any more. Most of these little small parts RS sells can be found online much cheaper without dealing with high-pressure Radio Shack employees. Stores located in smaller towns will still be good for some time though.

d_fife

this radio shack is in the old stop and shop plaza in warwick ri on warwick ave

from http://www.kgiproperties.com/properties/location/16/

d_fife

here is the radio shack in yonkers ny on cross country shopping center on central park ave

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1141430918&subNum=40214000001

d_fife

here is the closing radio shack in brewer maine

d_fife

radio shack closing in old town / orono maine, as of may 22, 2006

beachgal26

I have to agree with "Crawford" about the service because it is not consistent at all!!  I happened to see one of the stores near us that is closing and they have everything on a 60% reduction and I just about cleared them out of batteries.

It is such a shame that these chains don't recognize a good thing when they have it because this used to be a unique kind of store where you could find everything from steroe wire to turntable needles and everything else.  Why they decided to focus so much on cellphones when the whole world carries them now is beyond me?  

This just seems to be another example of the stores not listening to what the people really want and then just throwing bad idea after bad idea and running the company into the ground.  Let's hope that this is not the beginning of the end for them too.

:mad: :o :mad: :question:

Ameskid

One of ours closed because the Bigg's near it wouldn't let it have adequate parking!
Or something to that effect.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/