Main Menu

Radio Shack

Started by Jag67, June 17, 2005, 06:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

amesman

I hate how they always ask for your name and address when you buy something from them. It bugs the crap out of me. It's like:

Can I have your name and address?

Why, you wanna come over and watch dirty movies with me? How about I get your name and address so if it doesn't work I can come over and kick your ass. How about that?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
I hate how they always ask for your name and address when you buy something from them. It bugs the crap out of me. It's like:

Why, you wanna come over and watch dirty movies with me? How about I get your name and address so if it doesn't work I can come over and kick your ass. How about that?

they did that to me in toys r us yestruday i was liek why do u want my adress and the lady said ohh u dont have to im just requrkled to say it
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman

I know it can be annoying, but then it is possible they want that kept incase of proof of returns.

back to radio shack, my dad said the stores have had untrained help and do not know much and anything they have you can find anywhere. the nearest one to me is the one in the hatch plaza in plymouth nh (my town); the plaza that has hannaford and marshalls.

here is the radio shack in downtown presque isle

d_fife

radio shack in ridgefield ct in the newly remodeled plaza

Marc82

I could take them or leave them. The last thing I bought there was a replacement antenna for my boombox a few months ago. The Southington Radio Shack is one of only a few stores in the AMES Plaza that's been there for a long time. I was also treated poorly by an employee at the Bristol, Connecticut solely based on the fact that I was dressed like a street thug (baggy shorts, wifebeater, sideways Yankees hat, gold hoop eaaring). Why I even went there in the first place was because someone working the overnight shift at Shaw's decided to be cute and cut the wire for the Dish Network sateliite system we had in the break room. I mentioned it to the nite manager and she told me after I was done working for the day go over to Radio Shack and buy some new wire. I went in there dressed how I mentioned and I was told "What size do you need Dish Network Wires come in 5 or 6 different sizes." I told them they were wrong and walked out. I told the night manager at Shaw's and she said that Radio Shack was full of crap. (Well she used the "s" word). She had some extra wire at her house from when they put the Dish Network in at her house and the next day she brought it in and hooked it up.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
I could take them or leave them. The last thing I bought there was a replacement antenna for my boombox a few months ago. The Southington Radio Shack is one of only a few stores in the AMES Plaza that's been there for a long time. I was also treated poorly by an employee at the Bristol, Connecticut solely based on the fact that I was dressed like a street thug (baggy shorts, wifebeater, sideways Yankees hat, gold hoop eaaring). Why I even went there in the first place was because someone working the overnight shift at Shaw's decided to be cute and cut the wire for the Dish Network sateliite system we had in the break room. I mentioned it to the nite manager and she told me after I was done working for the day go over to Radio Shack and buy some new wire. I went in there dressed how I mentioned and I was told "What size do you need Dish Network Wires come in 5 or 6 different sizes." I told them they were wrong and walked out. I told the night manager at Shaw's and she said that Radio Shack was full of crap. (Well she used the "s" word). She had some extra wire at her house from when they put the Dish Network in at her house and the next day she brought it in and hooked it up.

radio shack will be sending out pink slips to 400 to 450 workers.

d_fife

radio shack in franklin nh

d_fife

radio shack in portland me on brighton ave

d_fife

the one in madawaska me

d_fife

the one in fort kent me (THE NORTHERN MOST ONE IN US AND MAINE)

d_fife

d_fife

radio shack malone ny

Hadley

Havent seen a thread on the board about this store so lets discuss radio shack here.

Lastdaysofrain

It's a completely different store than it used to be.  Essentially now it's a cell phone store.  I almost never see Radio Shack's that are actually parts and electronics stores anymore.

C. Fontaine

I know I usually go in there for hard-to-find electronics like connectors and led's and such.  I can imagine they make a lot of money off of the hard-to-find connectors and adapters they sell for things.  Things that people would rather pay a fortune for at Radio Shack rather than wait a week to get it shipped offline.

FearlessSwan

The signs on this one always fascinated me. Haven't seen another like it. Sadly it has been replaced with the newer logo.

videogamer75

FearlessSwan

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Where is that one?

Stamford, CT, next to what is now a Homegoods, but was at one time a Finast/Edwards/Stop & Shop.

videogamer75

Thanks!

I hear RadioShack is going to start selling video games and consoles soon. They are testing this by selling them on their website.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Thanks!

I hear RadioShack is going to start selling video games and consoles soon. They are testing this by selling them on their website.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032401&cp=2032062

wow, over-priced.
JN

C. Fontaine

Radio-Shack made a lot of money years back when DVD players came out.  Most people had TV's that had only the coaxial-in and no aux input which DVD players sport.  Radioshack made tons off those R/F modulator boxes after Chrismas when people were desperate to use their new DVD players and video game systems.  Since then anyone who has an older TV really doesn't have a choice.  Just about everyone I know has at least one in their house.

Myself, the only time I really go into Radio-Shack is if I'm looking for some rare wire connector/splitter/part/etc... and I don't feel like waiting for one off eBay.

MikeRa

Here is a picture of one of their products that, I believe, they don't sell anymore, the XR Series Cassette Tape.  The picture has it under it's original name of "Supertape" before it was changed to "Radio Shack".
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Marc82

Here's the one in The Queen Plaza on Queen Street in Souhtington. Plaza was home to Zayres (and later Ames), which is now Bed Bath Beyond and Bob's Discount Furniture.

TRJ22487

I was going through my VHS collection (which is held in my living room by a wheel-free red Ames cart) and found a tape off Nickelodeon from 1993 from the show Wild and Crazy Kids

I have no idea what mall they are in or what state or anything, but in one segment this Radio Shack is recognizable

videogamer75

Hey, I remember Wild & Crazy Kids! That show was awesome! Remember Double Dare, GUTS, and Legends of the Hidden Temple?

ynkeesfn82

Anyone know when the Radio Shack in the KMART Plaza on Wolcott Street in Waterbury, CT closed? The adjacent Daycare Center took over that spot even though they didn't knock down the wall separating the space. You can still see Radio Shack on the window and see a sign on a fixture that says SPRINT Phones. By the way it looks like that daycare center takes up what at one time looks like could've been 4 or 5 different store fronts.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Radio Shack has been a good place to find TV antennas lately, especially flat HDTV antennas for indoor use, as well as the traditional rabbit ears. I've also seen other items, such as coaxial cables and radios, as well as flat screen TVs and radios. They also sell cell phones. I've seen Doc Brown and Marty McFly communicate back and forth using Archer Space Patrol walkie talkies that were purchased off-screen at Radio Shack (posibly back in 1985) in the movie "Back to the Future part II" in the 1955 scene, where Marty tracks down Biff and the stolen sports almanac. Radio Shack still sells walkie talkies just like those.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

RadioShack is in search of its future store
By Maria Halkias, Dallas News

RadioShack opened its first new concept store on the Upper East Side of Manhattan today and more are planned for New York, New Jersey and Texas over the next several weeks. The store, located at 2268 Broadway (at 81st Street), is the beginning of a transformation that new CEO Joe Magnacca believes is necessary to attract younger customers and make the Fort Worth-based chain profitable again. Magnacca said in April that the first batch of stores would be in Manhattan. He joined RadioShack in February from Walgreens where he’s given credit for creating a new concept for Duane Reade drugstores in New York. The store is a living lab. While all its new features and displays have been tested with consumer panels and received positive grades, Magnacca said he knows from experience that’s not enough. “Based on my nearly 30 years in retail, I know that the proof of concept always comes when shoppers begin exploring the stores,” he said. The company plans to tweak as the test stores are studied. Each location will be configured to meet local buying patterns and neighborhood needs, the company said.

Here’s what’s different so far:

Interactive features include a speaker wall to test and compare before you buy on the shoppers own Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices.

There are new displays by brand for Apple, HTC and Samsung, AT&T and Verizon.

Touch screens and apps are used to explore and explain product benefits.

The staff has received extra training.

Finally, the new stores come with new branding: “RadioShack: Let’s Play.”

Better than “The Shack” huh? To me, that sounded like a fast food restaurant, not a chain that can help me out with electronic needs. And the word radio isn’t really that outdated, is it? It’s still a very much alive concept for most of us, even though it’s less and less accessible from the twist of a knob.

New RadioShack logo:

New exterior:

New interior: