McDonald's

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 03:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on September 08, 2013, 07:29:56 PM
The former McDonald's across from ESPN on the Southington/Bristol town-line is still empty nearly 5 years later. 2 restaurants have failed there since December 2008 when McDonald's closed.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=18068102&SRID=3616826917&StepID=101

How could a McDonalds across from ESPN possibly fail? 
I mean, Mike Golic comes to work there every day.   ???

I only know of two Mickey D's that have ever closed here in the Burgh.
One downtown on Wood St. at Forbes (became overrun with drug activity)
and one on Banksville Road (very bad location, on the outbound side of a divided
highway.  Caught zero breakfast traffic from commuters going into town).

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 07, 2014, 04:01:01 PM
How could a McDonalds across from ESPN possibly fail? 
I mean, Mike Golic comes to work there every day.   ???

ESPN has their own cafeteria.

ESPN has very strict security. It's hard to get in and out of the campus.

ESPN took over a road that used to bring traffic out right by the site.

You want to know how strict security is at ESPN? You need to show your ID to visit a co-worker in another part of the building or even in the next cubical.

TheFugitive

so...they need a hall pass to go to McDonalds?   ???

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 08, 2014, 08:35:10 PM
so...they need a hall pass to go to McDonalds?   ???

Pretty much. And going back to the strict security at ESPN, a couple years ago Governor Malloy announced a Tax Break for ESPN and they wouldn't even let the TV stations onto their property to do a story about it. Channel 3 set up in the parking lot of this former McD's. NBC 30 set up down the road.

Stork of The Weak

Really why does McDonald's still exist at all? With so many other restaurant chains out there, including much better fast food options, who wants to eat such bottom of the barrel food?

ynkeesfn82

McDonald's is testing out 3 different flavors of Seasoned Fries in 3 California Markets and St. Louis.

http://www.courant.com/business/chi-mcdonalds-seasoned-french-fries-20140509,0,7864454.story

Pikapower

From what I've read from the link sounded like McDonald's is trying to bring back the "Shake 'em Fries" that Burger King had years ago, but with no "Cheetos" cheese flavor!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

TheFugitive

McDonalds has rolled out a new character to pitch the healthier Happy Meals to children.
It is already being slammed by critics as "too creepy".

Gotta admit, when I was five or six, it would have given me some nightmares!

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/mcdonalds-new-mascot-box-teeth-n109396

Stork of The Weak

What came first, Walmart stores having McDonald's instead of a snack bar, or Walmart stores selling their exclusive line of "McKids" apparel? But a better question is why would anyone want to dress kids in McDonald's-themed clothes?

Bdubs

I remember Sears selling the clothing in the late 80s or early 90s.
Most of the Wal Marts in my area have converted their McD's to Dunkin Donuts. Waterford CT is the only one I know of that still has a McD's.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Bdubs on May 21, 2014, 07:52:44 PM
I remember Sears selling the clothing in the late 80s or early 90s.
Most of the Wal Marts in my area have converted their McD's to Dunkin Donuts. Waterford CT is the only one I know of that still has a McD's.

Quite a few Walmarts have Subways. In CT: Bristol, Southington, Wallingford, Waterbury, and even the now closed New Britain location had one and they were one of the smallest Walmarts in CT.

Stork of The Weak

I know one Walmart that was a Caldor for a relatively short time (seven years). The Caldor had a Nathan's hotdog stand, but then the Walmart had a snack bar called "Wal-Mart Cafe", then that closed and was replaced by a Subway with a bonus Nathan's menu, but now the Walmart has no food service whatsoever and now has a nail salon (owned independently from Walmart?) in the snack bar space!

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on May 22, 2014, 04:21:07 PM
I know one Walmart that was a Caldor for a relatively short time (seven years). The Caldor had a Nathan's hotdog stand, but then the Walmart had a snack bar called "Wal-Mart Cafe", then that closed and was replaced by a Subway with a bonus Nathan's menu, but now the Walmart has no food service whatsoever and now has a nail salon (owned independently from Walmart?) in the snack bar space!

The nail salon probably leases the space from Walmart like Subway does. They have a nail salon at the Waterbury, Connecticut store next to Subway. The one in Waterbury was probably  the photo studio.

Bdubs

Now that you mention it, the Rocky Hill store has a Subway as well. Perhaps a location thing. 

Stork of The Weak

The McDonald's at the Walmart in Marlton, NJ closed and was replaced by a Subway that moved to that site from the shopping center across the street, which ironically was anchored by Kmart and later Sears Essentials. Now the center is 100% empty. The former A&P (which didn't last long) there was later a Super Fresh which lasted 30 years with one or two very minor remodels but closed in the last year or two.

TheFugitive

Around here the Heidelberg and Bethel Park Walmarts have Subways,
while the Super Walmart in West Mifflin has a McDonalds.

ynkeesfn82

McDonald's has a McCafe Strawberry-Banana Smoothie. It tastes the same as the Strawberry-Banana Smoothie at Burger King. At the McD's in the Plainville Commons in Plainville, CT and at the one on Queen Street in Southington a Large Strawberry-Banana Smoothie is cheaper than at the Burger King on Queen Street. At BK it's $4.03 with tax. At McD's it was $3.61 with tax.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on May 20, 2014, 08:18:18 PM
What came first, Walmart stores having McDonald's instead of a snack bar, or Walmart stores selling their exclusive line of "McKids" apparel? But a better question is why would anyone want to dress kids in McDonald's-themed clothes?
...And what about the McKids video game for the NES? Who would want to play a McDonald's-themed video game on their NES?

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on May 23, 2014, 10:06:25 AM
Around here the Heidelberg and Bethel Park Walmarts have Subways,
while the Super Walmart in West Mifflin has a McDonalds.

In our area, the Taylor Walmart has a Blimpie Sub (which is one of Subway's competitors), but the ones in Southgate and Woodhaven have Subways.

Though I do know that the Walmarts in Auburn Hills and Frenchtown Township had McDonald's when they opened (Auburn Hills has since relocated to a Supercenter in neighboring Rochester Hills, Frenchtown Township has since relocated to a Supercenter across the road, those replacements probably have Subway now too).

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 09, 2014, 09:00:59 PM
...And what about the McKids video game for the NES? Who would want to play a McDonald's-themed video game on their NES?

Nobody would really want to play a McDonald's-themed video game on any system or dress kids in McDonald's-themed clothes!
Let's not forget the McDonald's Happy Meal Workshop toy where you can make fake burgers and fries from desserts, like cinnamon sugar bread "fries" and Rice Krispes "treat" burgers.

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Hudsons81

The McDonald's in the newly-shuttered Picnic in the Garden food court at Southland Center in Taylor, MI in late 2005, before it was torn down for a Best Buy.

ynkeesfn82

The McDonald's at 698 West Main Street in New Britain, CT has  new owner. His name is Joe Rodriguez and he owns several other McDs including the new one at 150 North Main Street in Bristol, CT.

http://newbritainherald.com/articles/2014/10/02/news/doc542cb1eee024b128148054.txt

Hudsons81

It appears McDonald's may now be showing off local pride in their advertising-just a few minutes ago as I watched the 10 PM newscast on WJBK Channel 2 Detroit, I saw a McCafe muffin advertisement that began with an old map of Michigan and the surrounding states. Then a cooking mitten comes up, flips the Lower Peninsula around and shows the back of the cooking mitten-red with the McCafe logo. Later, after they showed the muffins, there was a screen showing a white Lower Peninsula outline next to the McDonald's logo. Lower Michigan then materializes into a cooking mitten outline.

Pretty unique, I might say.

Hudsons81

Many people may overlook this, but Walmart wasn't the only superstore that McDonald's had affiliated with-for many years up until the late 1990's, McDonald's operated full-line locations inside several Meijer stores. They had locations in the Meijer stores on Pierson, Center and Hill Roads in Flint; 28th Street and Plainfield Avenue in Grand Rapids; Jenison, Saginaw Highway in Lansing, Muskegon, Okemos, Royal Oak and Wyoming-all in Michigan. They may have also been a McDonald's inside the Meijer on Alpine Avenue in Grand Rapids.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 29, 2014, 08:39:14 PM
Many people may overlook this, but Walmart wasn't the only superstore that McDonald's had affiliated with-for many years up until the late 1990's, McDonald's operated full-line locations inside several Meijer stores. They had locations in the Meijer stores on Pierson, Center and Hill Roads in Flint; 28th Street and Plainfield Avenue in Grand Rapids; Jenison, Saginaw Highway in Lansing, Muskegon, Okemos, Royal Oak and Wyoming-all in Michigan. They may have also been a McDonald's inside the Meijer on Alpine Avenue in Grand Rapids.

When would this have been?  I regularly shopped the Meijer on Center Rd. from 1988-92.
I don't recall a McDonalds being inside there.

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 30, 2014, 08:30:31 AM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 29, 2014, 08:39:14 PM

When would this have been?  I regularly shopped the Meijer on Center Rd. from 1988-92.
I don't recall a McDonalds being inside there.

Most McDonald's locations inside Meijer stores would have been on the balcony level at the front of the store across from the checkouts. The one on Hill Road, however, was located at the back of the store instead and that space was demolished when the grocery area was remodeled.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

There was a McDonald's at the Port Plaza Mall on 320 Adams Street in downtown Green Bay, Wisconsin from 1982 to 2002. The mall closed permanently in 2006, and has been torn down along with the neighboring Days Inn hotel, to make way for a new corporate headquarters for Schreiber Foods. I remember eating at that McDonald's back in the 1990s.

Pikapower

I think Wal-Mart selling the McKids clothing line came first, then the McDonald's in their stores. Now a McDonald's in Wal-Mart is becoming a rare sight seeing how some Wal-Marts replaced McDonald's with Subway.

ynkeesfn82

They're going to be demolishing McDonald's on Route 5 in Wallingford, Connecticut and rebuild on the same property. It will be slightly smaller, have 2 Drive-Thru Lanes, and no playground.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/wallingford/wallingfordnews/6597660-129/mcdonalds-in-wallingford-to-be-demolished-rebuilt.html