McDonald's

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 03:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 06, 2015, 10:30:37 AM
McDonald's started serving all-day breakfast today.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2015/10/06/news/doc5613cf3c29da1039858145.txt
Yes, but there's a catch: some states in the Southern United States get Biscuit sandwiches, while states in the Northern and Southwestern United States get Egg McMuffin sandwiches.

TheFugitive

a McBreakfast Civil War?   ???

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 07, 2015, 01:11:40 PM
a McBreakfast Civil War?   ???

I found out that almost all items will be available, the map pictured shows customer preference by majority.
Some breakfast items might not be available.

(I would love to order a Cheeseburger and an Egg McMuffin, pull them both apart, and combine them to create a Mc10:35 sandwich. XD)

TheFugitive

hmmm.....so I'm in a McMuffin area but if I drive 40 minutes south into Greene or Fayette
counties I get a biscuit?   ???

ynkeesfn82

Weird. For the past several days I've heard the all-day breakfast thing has been an epic fail but in today's Hartford Courant there was an article about how successful they've been.

TheFugitive

They sent me coupons for a free Large Soft Drink and Fries
with the purchase of an Egg McMuffin.

I am still trying to come to grips with that combination.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 20, 2015, 01:41:07 PM
They sent me coupons for a free Large Soft Drink and Fries
with the purchase of an Egg McMuffin.

I am still trying to come to grips with that combination.

I don't drink coffee so for me this would be a good thing - having a Coke or Root beer with my Egg McMuffin. 

That's what makes me mad. So many breakfast specials at restaurants whether it's a Fast Food Place like McD's or BK or a local diner include coffee as part of the special. Breakfast specials everywhere should include your choice of beverage - Coffee, Tea, Softdrink, Orange Juice (or any other type of juice), milk, etc.

TheFugitive

See, I am on the opposite side of that.
I gave up drinking pop around five years ago, so I am always
ordering either iced tea or a coffee as a substitute with my
fast food burger meals.

ynkeesfn82

Pikapower

I kind of thought of something for McDonald's is for them to stop putting toys in Happy Meals and put books in Happy Meals instead. Since a lot of those Happy Meal toys end up being thrown away and I think a book would last longer than a toy.

What do you guys think about that idea?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Hudsons81

What the Dix Highway McDonald's in Lincoln Park, Michigan used to look like, as seen in 1996. Picture courtesy of the Downriver Things Flickr page.

The 2004 Mark Knopfler song "Boom, Like That" is about McDonald's founder, a milkshake mixer salesman, Ray Kroc, who bought the restaurant from its original owners, Richard "Dick" McDonald and Maurice "Mac" McDonald, and turned it into the fast-food chain we all have a love-hate relationship with today.

An upcoming biographical film about McDonald's founder Ray Kroc, known as "The Founder" is scheduled for release on November 25, 2016, starring Michael Keaton as McDonald's corporate founder Ray Kroc.

Ameskid

Quote from: Pikapower on October 29, 2015, 03:21:17 PM
I kind of thought of something for McDonald's is for them to stop putting toys in Happy Meals and put books in Happy Meals instead. Since a lot of those Happy Meal toys end up being thrown away and I think a book would last longer than a toy.

What do you guys think about that idea?

Isn't that the approach that Chick-Fil-A uses, or used in the past? My sister worked at one for a few years and I remember seeing lots of non-traditional kids' meal freebies on offer.

Not sure how pleased kids would be with a small book to read as opposed to a plastic trinket to annoy family members with. I've never really noticed them being thrown away.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Hudsons81

This is a very unusual McDonald's at Rochester and 13 Mile in Royal Oak, Michigan. Yes, those are mansard roofs, but not of the types they've traditionally used. This one opened in 1984.

Quote from: Ameskid on November 17, 2015, 11:51:07 PM
I've never really noticed them being thrown away.
Why don't they just donate them to Goodwill or sell them on eBay instead of letting them flood our landfills? Plastic does not break down very well, you know. There are also toy collectors out there willing to take them off their hands, as well.

busman_49

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 19, 2015, 08:52:28 AM
Why don't they just donate them to Goodwill or sell them on eBay instead of letting them flood our landfills? Plastic does not break down very well, you know. There are also toy collectors out there willing to take them off their hands, as well.

Laziness...It's easier to throw something in the trash than to put fort the effort to get rid of it by other means.

But I completely agree with you.  I hate seeing perfectly-usable-to-somebody stuff being tossed in the garbage.

Pikapower

Quote from: busman_49 on November 19, 2015, 09:08:27 AM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 19, 2015, 08:52:28 AM

Laziness...It's easier to throw something in the trash than to put fort the effort to get rid of it by other means.

But I completely agree with you.  I hate seeing perfectly-usable-to-somebody stuff being tossed in the garbage.

Not to mention some of those Happy Meals are worth a lot of money like the Beanie Babies and the Disney figures that came with a video box.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

TheFugitive

I think there may be a legal issue with donating the Happy Meal toys to Goodwill.

Most of them feature licensed characters.  McDonalds could possibly have a contractual obligation
with the copyright holder that they will NOT donate them and will, in fact, destroy any unused inventory
when the promotion ends.

We had certain product at Ames which fell under that category when I was handling
disposition of D&D.  Made me sick to toss it in the compactor, but those were the terms
of the legal agreements with the vendor.  I was not allowed to do anything else with them.

Quote from: TheFugitive on November 20, 2015, 11:00:22 AM
I think there may be a legal issue with donating the Happy Meal toys to Goodwill.

Most of them feature licensed characters.  McDonalds could possibly have a contractual obligation
with the copyright holder that they will NOT donate them and will, in fact, destroy any unused inventory
when the promotion ends.

We had certain product at Ames which fell under that category when I was handling
disposition of D&D.  Made me sick to toss it in the compactor, but those were the terms
of the legal agreements with the vendor.  I was not allowed to do anything else with them.

Most of the thrift stores where I live have no problem doing it. I've seen bags with a whole bunch of used happy meal/kids' meal toys in them. Once the toys are in the consumers' hands, it's up to them where they will end up next. Copyright issues are of no use once the toys are in the hands of the consumer (I believe this is where the Copyright Act of 1976 comes into play).

BillyGr

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 20, 2015, 01:59:59 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on November 20, 2015, 11:00:22 AM

Most of them feature licensed characters.  McDonalds could possibly have a contractual obligation
when the promotion ends.

disposition of D&D.  Made me sick to toss it in the compactor, but those were the terms
of the legal agreements with the vendor.  I was not allowed to do anything else with them.

Most of the thrift stores where I live have no problem doing it. I've seen bags with a whole bunch of used happy meal/kids' meal toys in them. One the toys are in the consumers' hands, it's up to them where they will end up next. Copyright issues are of no use once the toys are in the hands of the consumer (I believe this is where the Copyright Act of 1976 comes into play).

I suspect they were referring to toys that never got handed out (like when they change from one promotion to another).
However we did get a box full of mixed items last year as a donation from a McDonalds so apparently not all of them (the toys or the stores) are included.

TheFugitive

Not much the Government or Disney lawyers can do when a consumer who received a toy in his
Happy Meal donates it to Goodwill.  I believe however that bulk donations of unused stock by McDonalds
are contractually barred.

busman_49

Not sure if this had been covered or not, but it turns out that the icky eyebrow-style is officially called the "Arcade" style.  Found that in this article

The largest McDonald's in the United States, located in Orlando, Florida, has a video arcade on the second floor.
The McDonald's in Vinita, Oklahoma, which used to be called the Howard Johnson Glass House Restaurant, was originally the largest McDonald's restaurant, and its dining area extends over the Will Rogers Turnpike. That restaurant recently closed for remodeling, which modernized the structure, and is now known as the Vinita Archway. Other tenants found in the Archway besides McDonald's includes Subway, a gift shop, and a Kum & Go convenience store.

TheFugitive

Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 02, 2015, 07:03:24 PM
and a Kum & Go convenience store.

My gosh, that has to be the most horribly awful name for a retail chain EVER!

The McDonald's in the 7th floor of the Macy's department store in New York City.

ynkeesfn82

McD's has closed at the Westfield Meriden Square Mall in Meriden, CT.

McDonald’s closes at Meriden mall, Harry’s Eatery considering move to food court

Published: January 26, 2016 | Last Modified: January 26, 2016 05:49PM
By Mary Ellen Godin Record-Journal staff

MERIDEN â€" McDonald’s at Westfield Meriden mall served its last McDouble and shut off the deep fryers Sunday when it closed its doors at the second-floor food court.

In front of the former McDonald’s space is a sign for Harry’s Eatery that invites shoppers to head to the first floor for a variety of coffees, sandwiches, baked goods and smoothies. Harry’s Eatery owner Harry Patel, who has been on the first floor next to Hannoush Jewelry for 15 years, said he is considering a move to the food court.

“I’m thinking about it,” Patel said.

A mall spokeswoman said she couldn’t speak to the reason behind the McDonald’s closing.

“While we are sorry to see them leave the center, it presents us with the opportunity to bring in a new dining option,” said Westfield marketing director Katherine Bolas.

Patel said he has a dedicated customer base of seniors, many in wheelchairs, who have come to rely on getting a coffee for $1. But they also have told him he could get more exposure in the food court.

“Nobody knows I’m here,” he said of his first-floor location.

JSIDA17

Not sure if this was mentioned, but the McDonald's in Auburn, MA closed a few months ago. What makes me sad is that it had a HUGE ass Playplace that rivals the like of Chuck E Cheeses'.

busman_49

Quote from: retailisking on August 11, 2016, 12:01:48 AM

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/08/07/news/aroostook/iconic-houlton-mcdonalds-to-be-razed-rebuilt-with-modern-look

Sad...just sad.  The one that used to be across from Rolling Acres Mall in Akron had a sunken dining area and a similar fireplace in between the ordering area and the dining area.  I wish I had thought to get some photos of it, as it is now a vacant lot  :'(