Main Menu

Former Oberlin, Ohio Ames

Started by Ames#1171, September 12, 2007, 09:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ames#1171

Here is the Ames in Oberlin, Oh.  I took this picture today on the way to my grandparents house in New Washington, Oh with my cell phone.  If you didn't know any better, you would think the store was still open.  I'll have to see if we can stop the next time we go down so I can get better pictures.

Ames" border="0

Kmart4life

It looks lonely with that empty parking lot.:(

Anonymous

The Oberlin, Ohio Ames is the only one in the area that, when the first round of closures happened, remained in business. Back then, it had the red "Ames" on the front of the building, and was literally out in the middle of nowhere.

After the Hills acquisition, the store was renovated to the green look that all of the Ames stores had. It closed when the company went under for the second time, and the building has been vacant since.

There is a brand-new Super Wal-Mart with a gas station on the property right NEXT to the old Ames. There's graffiti on one side of the building, carts still in the front of the empty store, and the building's still standing empty. You would think that Wal-Mart would have bought the store itself (it's right on a corner lot) and demolished it for parking instead of buying an entire plot of land next to it, but I guess they'd rather buy new.