Main Menu

Barker\'s

Started by standa, September 11, 2007, 08:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

standa

There were Ames stores in Meriden, CT (Centennial Plaza, West Main St.) and Norwich, CT (West Main Street).  I think the Meriden one was previously a Kings and the Norwich one was previously a Zayre.  They both closed probably in the late 80s, soon after Ames bought Zayre.  As the store locator shows, each town had also another Ames store, which remained open at that time.

standa

Can these stores be listed in the store locator?

C. Fontaine

I found this plaza on Live.com for Meriden,
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qxpy5k8xy3fy&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=15177412&encType=1#
Was it the Stop and Shop or the other store?

This is what I could come up with in Norwich,
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qxk5s48zrdqm&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=16316397&encType=1
This looks like an old school Zayre, so possibly the Ames?

greg8370

The picture of the TJMaxx store in Norwich is incorrect.  The Zayre store is in the same plaza and is now the ShopRite.
The Meriden pic is correct; it was a King's back in the day.

XISMZERO

That satellite image of Meriden, CT -- was not Ames. Ames was on East Main Street -- it's gone now for Lowe's. That satellite link you have there was originally King's, then became a Railroad Salvage and has been vacant for a long time now.

This is the TJMaxx in Norwich. This was the original ShopRite. The current ShopRite on the otherside of the plaza was Zayre -- not Ames. Ames was actually down the street, near I-395.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The former King's/Railroad Salvage in Meriden, CT. I don't recall this being an Ames... but who knows.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

The Ames we know of was over on East Main in Meriden in the parkade, but I think Standa's trying to say there were additional stores in these towns which probably closed back with the first Zayre bankruptcy in the late 80's.  I'd be curious to know, because an old Phone Directory I have from 1991 shows there was also stores in Hamden and New Haven.  We've got an address for Hamden, but not New Haven.  Maybe you could dredge up something on these oldies Nick, you're pretty good with that type of thing!

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
The Ames we know of was over on East Main in Meriden in the parkade, but I think Standa's trying to say there were additional stores in these towns which probably closed back with the first Zayre bankruptcy in the late 80's.  I'd be curious to know, because an old Phone Directory I have from 1991 shows there was also stores in Hamden and New Haven.  We've got an address for Hamden, but not New Haven.  Maybe you could dredge up something on these oldies Nick, you're pretty good with that type of thing!

Someone already made the claim that the former Hamden store was on the corner of Dixwell and Putnam Avenue. I was here in 2006, but didn't know of its history as an Ames. About New Haven, we might need some local help on that one otherwise I might have to dig deeper on that one.

It appears as if it's been subdivided into three retailers; Rainbow, Teddie's (must be local), and AJ Wright.

Chris, someone also said there was an Ames in Westport, Conn. a long time ago next door the former Toys 'R' Us. It is now a Super Stop & Shop.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

greg8370

The King's store became a RailRoad Salvage Store.  It closed partly due to flooding caused by the brook nearby.  I don't remember it being an Ames either.
The east side Meriden store was a Barkers at one point when I grew up in Meriden and may have been a Zayres later on.

C. Fontaine

Yeah, I've already added the Dixwell Ave to the locator as it comes from a reliable source and definitely appears to have been an Ames.  New Haven does appear to be tough, I even tried a quick overlook of the city in Live but didn't see much that would resumble an Ames, as it is certainly long gone.

I've also been told there was one in Westport, it must be from decades ago!

standa

I remember seeing Ames fliers in the 80s listing a store at the Centennial Plaza in Meriden.  This store was closed soon after Ames merged with Zayre and experienced financial problems.  Ames had chosen to keep the former Zayre on East Main St. as its only Meriden location.  In Norwich, the opposite took place (Ames kept open its original store but closed the former Zayre store).  The Centennial Plaza Ames was previously a Kings (I believe) and after Ames became Railroad Salvage.

C. Fontaine

Both stores in Norwich appear to have been Zayres at one point or another.  I know I've heard from a lot of people back in the day there were many stores that were converted from Zayre's to Ames, then shuttered almost immediately due to the bankruptcy.

XISMZERO

Zayre was on West Main Street in Norwich first because it shows up in all the adverts dating back to 1972. The first Connecticut Zayre was Southington, opened in 1969. They must've moved the Norwich store to the Salem Turnpike/near I-395 in the early 1980s.

The one near 395, however, was a classic "wing" looking store before it was converted into an outpatient hospital.

Here's one in particular showcasing the Norwich location, it's from November 1972, from the Hartford Courant archives.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Locations of Connecticut stores by 1972.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

standa is correct!

The original Ames in Meriden was at Centennial Plaza and it opened after King's closed. This happened in 1983 as 10 former Kings became Ames stores in Connecticut.

Here's an article from The Courant, detailing 4 stores opening on September 8, 1983.

All that is visible on the old one in Meriden is the label scar of Railroad Salvage.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

That also makes you're case about the Ames in Westport too!

greg8370

Good find about the Ames, westside Meriden, where Kings was.  Wonder how long it lasted there before it closed?

XISMZERO

Ames must've moved its store to East Main St. after a few short years or whenever Barkers went out of business. Anyone who'se familar with the city knows Centennial Plaza is a poor area for a department retailer (and it's been vacant long enough to prove that).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

standa

Wasn't Barkers in downtown Meriden at the former Meriden Mall in its later years?   I don't know when they closed.  The Ames at the Meriden Parkade was previously Zayre.

C. Fontaine

Stores are added to the locator!

greg8370

I don't think the Barkers replaced WT Grant at the Meriden Hub

standa

I read in deadmalls.com that Barker's went to Meriden Hub Mall, replacing Grants.  I am not very familiar with Barker's, so I wouldn't know if deadmalls.com is right or wrong.

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by greg8370
The King's store became a RailRoad Salvage Store.  It closed partly due to flooding caused by the brook nearby.  I don't remember it being an Ames either.
The east side Meriden store was a Barkers at one point when I grew up in Meriden and may have been a Zayres later on.

You remembered that store, too??

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by standa
I read in deadmalls.com that Barker's went to Meriden Hub Mall, replacing Grants.  I am not very familiar with Barker's, so I wouldn't know if deadmalls.com is right or wrong.

Barker's (A hometown discounter) moved to the Meriden Hub in 1976. Barker's was OOB by 1980 IIRC. It did replace Grant City (WT GRANT)

Mominct

Sorry to bump an old thread.. but I'm "new" here. I grew up in Meriden. That picture XISMZERO posted is correct, that store was Ames. It was railroad salvage too. My mom worked there when it was ames for the xmas season. The store got massive flooding and was not open long before this happened. It still stands, bordered up today as the damage is severe and I would assume too much money for most. In that same plaza, currently is a chinese restaurant, rent a center, family dollar and super stop and shop. (the super stop and shop was formerly a finast and edwards. I think it was edwards when ames was there).

There was another Ames on east main street. This one was open for many years, way before they put the 2nd Ames into centennial plaza. When it closed, it stayed empty for quite awhile. But the plaza was all knocked down and redone. The new building is now lowes and the plaza is completely changed (new buildings, new layout, etc).

HTH!