Bradlees bashing

Started by Caldor1999, January 18, 2005, 11:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

not to say i hate bradlees but it was the weakest chain out of all the regal discount stores in 1995 Bradlees had 130 stores not bad but it droped to a small 105 chain before closing in 2001 NOT 2000 most people think it closed that year but they only anouseed they were GOB.
Caldor was like Bradlees in a way but much larger cleaner bigger had more stores was around loger and dident have a scary TV Adds with a crazy red head lady Called MRS.B
so say what ever u want about Bradlees
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Anonymous

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
not to say i hate bradlees but it was the weakest chain out of all the regal discount stores in 1995 Bradlees had 130 stores not bad but it droped to a small 105 chain before closing in 2001 NOT 2000 most people think it closed that year but they only anouseed they were GOB.
Caldor was like Bradlees in a way but much larger cleaner bigger had more stores was around loger and dident have a scary TV Adds with a crazy red head lady Called MRS.B

AmesmanBBTB

Its funny you say that Bradlees was the weakest chain because Bradlees was the second one of the Big Three regional chains to go GOB!:huh::hurt::(

Anonymous

Mrs. B had red hair? I didn't know that!:holysh::o

store215

I was really suprised that Caldor was the one who went before Bradlees. The bradlees around where I lived were always in so-so neighborhoods and weren't in the best of shape (mostly because they looked big and ugly from just plopping a bradlees sign where a Woolco sign once was)

Anonymous

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous

AmesmanBBTB

Its funny you say that Bradlees was the weakest chain because Bradlees was the second one of the Big Three regional chains to go GOB!:huh::hurt::(
ames caldor and jamesway had more store even at bradlees peek they still didhave many stores now i feel bad for putting it down:hurt::(:no:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
I was really suprised that Caldor was the one who went before Bradlees. The bradlees around where I lived were always in so-so neighborhoods and weren't in the best of shape (mostly because they looked big and ugly from just plopping a bradlees sign where a Woolco sign once was)
Caldor lasted longer it kida was Bradlees comptishon cause they would always battle each outher to win sights
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

AmesmanBBTB

ames caldor and jamesway had more store even at bradlees peek they still didhave many stores now i feel bad for putting it down:hurt::(:no:
anouther thing is bradlees filed for ch11 only after 3 years of beeing there own company and not owned by stop&shot
Caldor Forever!

Anonymous

AmesmanBBTB

hey who are you?

your not me because I did not put that down

Caldor1999

Bradlees was a nock off of Caldor and should have stayed wit stop and shop untill there store count grew and durring the ch11 case in 1995 bradlees diced to close 29 stores as a way to emarge from ch11 but they closed to many in 1999 they opend 3 new stores but it was the end dec 26 2000 they anoused there were G.O.B and closed there dores in 2001 NOT 2000 LIKE MOST PEOPLE THINK :mad:
Caldor Forever!

Hddfan135

I remember the bradlees at the dock in it's final years. The floors were bumpy and cracked as if they had mold under them. There was also some yellow stuff oozing out of the cracks. Also the old automatic swinging doors there were breaking down.

Zayre88

Bradlees was one of the smallest discount chain.  It did not have the buying power and money of larger chains.  However, they went out of business later than Caldor.

Caldor1999

barley a year then caldor all the bradlees i had closed in 1996 and there locations were horrbley keeped  well the one in yonkers stayed open till 2001 that location was kinda dirty like how the store was kepped but it was interesting it had 2 floors
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

yah, I agree that Bradlees was a knock off of CAldor and they were similiar except Bradlees was more middle Class and Caldor seemed to be more upscale and they were both founded in CT (well Caldor was founded close to CT) and they had a lot of stores around Boston, Hartford and Bridgeport.  WEll I always thought Bradlees would. my dad remembers in the end Bradlees' parking lot at like 6 pm on a saturday would have just a dozen cars in the lot and that was it. well all the Bradlees in nh are something and now vacant Bradlees are very very rare. the one in Concord stayed vacant for over 5 years until it was torn down into a Lowe's. Bradlees was one of the smallest regional chains, with just over 100 stores and they lost a 1/3 of them in bankruptcy.

what was the worst Bradlees you ever went to? for me the one in downtown Nashua.

beachgal26

I only remember seeing Bradlees and Caldor stores when we visited family in the MD/DC area.  I do remember that the Caldor stores were much nicer and alot cleaner than Bradlees.

:roll:

Caldor1999

well bradlees at one time had over 130 stores compaired to caldor that had 166 the only porbelm with bradlees is that they never put the time into rentvation alot of there stores were as caldor did yea clador did have a few older stores they did not rentvate but alot of them espcilay the ones in new york were verey up to date bwt caldor was founed in portchester ny whitch is like 10 mins away form stamford
Caldor Forever!

Crawford

In my area there were more Caldor than Bradlees stores way back when. The only Bradlees I knew of was past the Swansea Mall (had a Caldor now a Wal-mart) in Somerset Massachusetts. The only other Bradless was way up Route 1 in Dedham. The 90's saw some more Bradlees open up near me (Seekonk, South Attleboro, Taunton and Providence) but they faced intense competition since Ann & Hope, Ames, Caldor, Wal Mart etc were all within a stone's throw. I was never that impressed with Bradlees. Oh sure I found stuff I wanted (bought all my Goof Troop videos there) but it wasn't my first choice to go to.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
In my area there were more Caldor than Bradlees stores way back when. The only Bradlees I knew of was past the Swansea Mall (had a Caldor now a Wal-mart) in Somerset Massachusetts. The only other Bradless was way up Route 1 in Dedham. The 90's saw some more Bradlees open up near me (Seekonk, South Attleboro, Taunton and Providence) but they faced intense competition since Ann & Hope, Ames, Caldor, Wal Mart etc were all within a stone's throw. I was never that impressed with Bradlees. Oh sure I found stuff I wanted (bought all my Goof Troop videos there) but it wasn't my first choice to go to.

for some odd reason there was no Bradlees near Providence until 1996 and the providence store lasted 8 months, oh wait WArwick opened in 1994 and lasted 2 years and so did Seekonk. WHAT WAS THE ONE IN SOMEREST LIKE?? IT WAS TORN DOWN WHEN I SAW IT IN 2003 and a stop and shop, the Bradlees add from like 1971 listed South Fall River on S. Main st and harbour mall, but no Somerset plaza store!!!!. WHY NO PROVIDENCE STORE DURING ITS HEYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!.   But Taunton had an older store that opened in 1973 in downtown and opened in the mall in 1993. Bradlees had 52 stores by 1968. Hartford was one of the stores listed as certain stuff not available in that store, Hartford opened Thanksgiving time of 1968.

Caldor1999

they had at least 2 locations by me one was in elmsford and the outher i believe was in white planes and thours stores were outdated and dirty idk what happend to the white planes one and i think the elmsford one is now a sames club or a movie theater there stores were horrble there was a nice one in yonkers 2 floors but lets just say the people who woked there went so nice
Caldor Forever!

Crawford

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

for some odd reason there was no Bradlees near Providence until 1996 and the providence store lasted 8 months, oh wait WArwick opened in 1994 and lasted 2 years and so did Seekonk. WHAT WAS THE ONE IN SOMEREST LIKE?? IT WAS TORN DOWN WHEN I SAW IT IN 2003 and a stop and shop, the Bradlees add from like 1971 listed South Fall River on S. Main st and harbour mall, but no Somerset plaza store!!!!. WHY NO PROVIDENCE STORE DURING ITS HEYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!.   But Taunton had an older store that opened in 1973 in downtown and opened in the mall in 1993. Bradlees had 52 stores by 1968. Hartford was one of the stores listed as certain stuff not available in that store, Hartford opened Thanksgiving time of 1968.

The one in Somerset was in that lot where the Super Stop and Shop is now. It was part of a plaza and was perpendicular to Route 6. I was only in there once to pick up Sonic Cd but passed by it often on the way to Fall River. I don't really recall what it looked like and was disappointed when one day a few years ago I rode up there to see whatever happened to it and found the entire plaza razed and an even bigger Super Stop and Shop was there. I think there was another Bradlees in the Walpole Mall. Bradlees to me at least was more regional in Massachusetts and Connecticut. Rhode Island was for Zayre, Ann & Hope, Caldor and K mart. Odd thing though was all the Stop and Shops always had the Bradlees logo on their trailers, we didn't have Medi mart either so it did feel odd seeing stores advertised that weren't local.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

The one in Somerset was in that lot where the Super Stop and Shop is now. It was part of a plaza and was perpendicular to Route 6. I was only in there once to pick up Sonic Cd but passed by it often on the way to Fall River. I don't really recall what it looked like and was disappointed when one day a few years ago I rode up there to see whatever happened to it and found the entire plaza razed and an even bigger Super Stop and Shop was there. I think there was another Bradlees in the Walpole Mall. Bradlees to me at least was more regional in Massachusetts and Connecticut. Rhode Island was for Zayre, Ann & Hope, Caldor and K mart. Odd thing though was all the Stop and Shops always had the Bradlees logo on their trailers, we didn't have Medi mart either so it did feel odd seeing stores advertised that weren't local.

they were owned by stop and shop untill 1992 im sure if they had stayed with stop and shop they probley would have lasted longer then they did and yea bradlees was more regional around Massachusetts were as in New York thye had verey few locations if anythinig caldor kinda domnated stores around New York and even Connecticut

i also wanna know why alot of people think that bradlees clsoed in 2000 ???when they really clsoed in 2001
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

i also wanna know why alot of people think that bradlees clsoed in 2000 ???when they really clsoed in 2001

I don't really know, they announced on dec. 26 2000 that they would go out of business, but the closing sale ended in 2001.

Staying within the Stop & Shop companies would have helped Bradlees i think.  

Back then, Bradlees was the general merchandise, Stop & Shop was grocery and MediMart the pharmacy.  Today, supermarkets and supercenters have almost everything under one roof with one banner.  Bradlees would have been phased out anyway in a market like this.

XISMZERO

Zayre88 is correct. I think you're confusing things here. Bradlees did close in 2000. They announced their closure, their ceasing to exist on December 26, 2000. So it's a fact, they did close in 2000. But like all stores who announce their closure, it takes months to liquidate the stock. Thus, they finally locked their doors in 2001.

Since this is a bashing topic, while I'd rather let ol' Bradlees rest in peace, it's not a surprise they dastardly announced their closure the day after Christmas to which they were involved in legal issues when they tried to deny the use of gift certificates after the 26th. The state of Connecticut swooped right in and spanked them on that dirty scheme (http://www.ct.gov/AG/cwp/view.asp?A=1775&Q=282948).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

I don't really know, they announced on dec. 26 2000 that they would go out of business, but the closing sale ended in 2001.

Staying within the Stop & Shop companies would have helped Bradlees i think.  

Back then, Bradlees was the general merchandise, Stop & Shop was grocery and MediMart the pharmacy.  Today, supermarkets and supercenters have almost everything under one roof with one banner.  Bradlees would have been phased out anyway in a market like this.

i know bradlees announced there closing at the end of 2000 but that dosent mean they closed in 2000 thats just when they filed for bankrupcie to me the cain closed in 2001 thats when they had to the closing sale's and evreyting they still stayed open though out that time just because a company files for bankrupcie at the end of a year dosent mean they clsoed that year example Caldor filed for bankrupice in 1995 but that dosent mean they closed it took them 4 years for that to happen
Caldor Forever!

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Zayre88 is correct. I think you're confusing things here. Bradlees did close in 2000. They announced their closure, their ceasing to exist on December 26, 2000. So it's a fact, they did close in 2000. But like all stores who announce their closure, it takes months to liquidate the stock. Thus, they finally locked their doors in 2001.

Since this is a bashing topic, while I'd rather let ol' Bradlees rest in peace, it's not a surprise they dastardly announced their closure the day after Christmas to which they were involved in legal issues when they tried to deny the use of gift certificates after the 26th. The state of Connecticut swooped right in and spanked them on that dirty scheme (http://www.ct.gov/AG/cwp/view.asp?A=1775&Q=282948).

I remember that. There were a lot of unhappy people who were unable to spend their Gift Certificates there. I wanna say that there was a lot of problems with Christmas Returns when that occurred too.