Satellite Lounge (early 70s) ----Cookstown/Wrightstown NJ

Started by NJxxJon, August 30, 2007, 12:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJxxJon

Tell your stories about this place if you want. Its On weird NJs site.....its been RUN DOWN since I live a couple towns over....this township is REAL lazy and have other buildings down the road. Feel free to message with questions......
http://images28.fotki.com/v998/photos/1/14315/4724154/s1-vi.jpg>
http://images27.fotki.com/v992/photos/1/14315/4724154/s2-vi.jpg>
http://images29.fotki.com/v1011/photos/1/14315/4724154/s3-vi.jpg>
http://images28.fotki.com/v1004/photos/1/14315/4724154/s4-vi.jpg>
and..........
http://images24.fotki.com/v802/photos/1/14315/4724154/s5-vi.jpg>
This place had Bruce Springsteen in it in the 70s.....and was freaking open till 4 AM as a hotspot.....TELL ME THAT AINT FUN....:D
JN

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
when did it close down ????

1990s according to some websites................:insane:
JN

Great Eastern

My uncle use to tell me that was a wild place when he was stationed at Mcguire AFB back in the 70's.  Always full of MP's in the parking lots picking up airmen and solders from Dix who would get in trouble LOL.

I think it closed in the mid or late 80's

M&M

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Great Eastern
My uncle use to tell me that was a wild place when he was stationed at Mcguire AFB back in the 70's.  Always full of MP's in the parking lots picking up airmen and solders from Dix who would get in trouble LOL.

I think it closed in the mid or late 80's

M&M

Yeah its got a history online. This place is 4 miles tops away from me.
JN

Anonymous

I was stationed at McGuire in 1974 and remember one night in February going to the Satellite Lounge as we often did on a saturday night... this particular night there was a band of real misfits playing... turns out, it was Bruce Springsteen... I've been a fan since

Anonymous

I was stationed at Fort Dix in 1967and 68.  The Satellite was THE hot spot all right.  All the up and coming band out of Jersey and even New York, would come down and try out their stuff on the G I's and Airmen. Saw the Young Rascals there.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
I was stationed at Fort Dix in 1967and 68.  The Satellite was THE hot spot all right.  All the up and coming band out of Jersey and even New York, would come down and try out their stuff on the G I's and Airmen. Saw the Young Rascals there.

They are knocking it down now. .....UPDATED.
JN

HotVidMan

Well I was driving past the old girl last week and stopped to get more photos.  She is still standing, but not looking to pretty.  A cop pulled over to see what I was up to and he was cool when I told him about the place.  He was young, but had heard stories about it.  He thinks that Mr. C is still alive an kicking down in Florida.  The town would like to see something done with it and there have been rumors of tearing it down and building restaurants or such, but some big group in NYC owns it and keeps tying things up.  I had to wonder if that group might not be Costra Nostra LTD!

I got to play in there with one of my bands back in the 80's.  As a matter of fact, the first show I did there was to open and close for Foghat.  Tons of people that night!  I dug playing there.  We also played the officers club on McGuire AFB too.

Anyway, here are more shots.

NJxxJon

Quote from: Anonymous on April 17, 2008, 10:22:28 AM
I was stationed at McGuire in 1974 and remember one night in February going to the Satellite Lounge as we often did on a saturday night... this particular night there was a band of real misfits playing... turns out, it was Bruce Springsteen... I've been a fan since

The 70s were before me but MUST have been FUN.
JN

NJxxJon

UPDATE 3/2013 - by the way. This place was attempted to be burned down (drove past 3 weeks ago)

:-\
JN