Main Menu

Ames Court

Started by C. Fontaine, March 08, 2005, 11:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Yesterday, I went to pick up this box of keys I won off of an eBay auction, from some very nice people selling a box of keys they bought at the Dayville liquidation.  Maybe I should go down and try them on some of the doors, hehehe.  The reason for this liquidation is within the next two weeks they will be announcing the new tenants for the former Ames space.  I have heard rumors of a proposed Staples, but I have no idea who will be taking it.  I have been watching the papers since I saw it the T&G.  Anyone know, or have any ideas?

dayville81

I heard of a proposed shopping center on Route 101 on the other side of I-395. I believe I saw the website advertise Staples as a possible tennant. How big was the Dayville Ames? It seemed to be a pretty good sized store. Right next to Beit Brothers. It seems that since Ames moved out, the shops in the back just couldnt make it. I am surprised that the Dayville Cinema expanded to a fourth auditorium considering that they have the regular seats, cinderblock walls, and cement floors. Ocean State Job Lot really is the only other discount store in Killingly. Dayville being a part of Killingly.

Anonymous

Hmmm.. Staples?? The should be EASY (get it? the slogan for Staples) because Dayville has a Staple wearhouse there. :)

XISMZERO

UPDATE: 2-15-2009.

Not much of an update, the store is still vacant. Dayville was one of the first stores in the state, opening in July 1983. Oddly enough, it's one of the last vacant ones in Connecticut. This is my first trip to the Dayville store.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Still vacant. There's new development on the otherside of the highway, leaving the Ames side left behind (and I'm not kidding -- there's an old Dunkin Donuts, vintage diner, vacant strip plaza nearby and a closed McDonalds!).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Still vacant. There's new development on the otherside of the highway, leaving the Ames side left behind (and I'm not kidding -- there's an old Dunkin Donuts, dinner, vacant strip plaza nearby and a closed McDonalds!).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Still vacant. There's new development on the otherside of the highway, leaving the Ames side left behind (and I'm not kidding -- there's an old Dunkin Donuts, dinner, vacant strip plaza nearby and a closed McDonalds!).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

That's my rental car behind the realtor sign. It's a long story... my car was recently smashed up in a hit-and-run... It's not looking too good right now...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

That's my rental car behind the realtor sign. It's a long story... my car was recently smashed up in a hit-and-run... It's not looking too good right now...

Yikes! So sorry to hear about that.

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

Looks like it's got the "Terminator" look going on!  Wow, thinking about it I haven't been to this one in years!  I'll get these in the photo gallery.  This Ames also had a ton of graffiti along the side, I wonder if its still there?

rjstheiv

Anyone have pictures from the window of the inside?

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

Word!  Nice to see the Ames Basketball court is there as well!

gu4ever

There already seems to be lots of photo's of this property, so I will hold off on similiar snaps. I finally got to visit this location yesterday July,2009. This location seems to be falling into disrepair. :( The area definately has a lot of empty store fronts all around the shopping center, maybe every one moved to the new mega plex?
Getting off the highway there is a massive mega plex shopping center right on the other side of the overpass.
Attached is some pics yesterday of the Ames games court.
Interestingly I have to say the paint they used to create the AMES games is still in tact from 1997 till now over 12 years?!!
That's some pretty good paint!
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

reitelle

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
Interestingly I have to say the paint they used to create the AMES games is still in tact from 1997 till now over 12 years?!!
That's some pretty good paint!

Was the court for public use or employees? I've never heard of one or seen one before.

gu4ever

The Ames court was originally enclosed with a green chain link fence, it had a gated entrance to the parking lot and also an entry door into the store. I imagen this space to be utilized for Ames outdoor summer supplies. There are some really great photo's of this location here on the forum, and most have shots with the chain link fence still up and somewhat in tact.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.