Main Menu

Work location

Started by d_fife, March 06, 2005, 11:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

I worked at the Ames in Plymouth NH from late July 2002, then a couple weeks later we found out that Ames was closing. I first found out at 1:00 am on the Union Leader, I found out before I came to work, on August 14, and August 13 was my day off. I was really sad.

I was a cashier. Our STore was in the hatch plaza and was 40,000 square feet and was supposed to make 8 million and we were one of the top 10 Ames in NH.

When the liquidation sale came my job got demanding.

Zayre88

Here are some stats about the sales in Plymouth and South Portland ME...  Plymouth had better sales indeed.

whip22

Those sales reflect the Walmart opening in that area. Now I hear OJSL will be opening one of their stores in the Ames building there.

Anonymous

;) hi i sent email to one of you here @ week ago.... i worked at #416 diamondpoint plaza

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by whip22
Those sales reflect the Walmart opening in that area. Now I hear OJSL will be opening one of their stores in the Ames building there.

d_fife

Well I have been to the portland area many times, there was a wal-mart in a Scarborough a half mile from Ames, and a Target that opened in late 2001 in south portland. For Plymouth, it is a college town, I go to the college there, and Ames was the only store for 22 miles, the nearest other store is Wal-mart in Tilton

lad

I worked at the Brattleboro Vt store for about 13 years.  Now it is a Home Depot  which we needed like a hole in the head.  Now i am at the new Walgreens in Brattleboro. There are 4 Ames employees there that were with Ames till the end and 2 more that had worked at Ames at one time.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by lad
I worked at the Brattleboro Vt store for about 13 years.  Now it is a Home Depot  which we needed like a hole in the head.  Now i am at the new Walgreens in Brattleboro. There are 4 Ames employees there that were with Ames till the end and 2 more that had worked at Ames at one time.

I have been to your ames before, I went there while it had its going out of business sale. One of the managers of my Ames, in Plymouth Nh, had worked at the one in Brattleboro and his name was Jason sanders. He said the store was Giant and MAmmoth Mart. I saw the Home Depot last summer and it is small.

lad

I remember Jason he was a great guy. I think he is working at Khols in Lebanon NH>

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by lad
I remember Jason he was a great guy. I think he is working at Khols in Lebanon NH>

I thought JAson worked at the Kmart in Lebanon now. JAson was the guy who had glasses, was tall and black.

newyorker2212

I worked at Ames for over 8 years.  Started as a Jewelry Dept Assoc (Cashier) in Newburgh, NY (#2137), and worked my way through many positions (Store Trainer, District Trainer, New Store Opening (Traveling Trainer), Regional Training Coordinator for Regions 1 and 2, and finally Field Human Resources Manager based out of Newington, CT(#2212) (Region 1 Office).   I loved the job and the people.  It gave me great experience and made me very marketable in the Human Resources/Training Industry!  At times I still miss it!

lad

Right about Jason I get confused at time another of the managers went to Kohls.

whip22

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
Well I have been to the portland area many times, there was a wal-mart in a Scarborough a half mile from Ames, and a Target that opened in late 2001 in south portland. For Plymouth, it is a college town, I go to the college there, and Ames was the only store for 22 miles, the nearest other store is Wal-mart in Tilton

I understood a Walmart opened in Plymouth...very close to the time Ames closed the doors. Am I mistaken?

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by whip22
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

I understood a Walmart opened in Plymouth...very close to the time Ames closed the doors. Am I mistaken?

WAl-mart opened 2 weeks after Ames Closed, they had been trying to build the wal-mart for 4 years. I LIVE IN PLYMOUTH NH. The wal-mart is a supercenter and did not cause Ames to go out, the Ames in Plymouth closed with the rest of the chain.

Anonymous

I used to work at several stores in PA from Milton PA to
 Harrisburg PA and most places in between I'm trying to
 reach an old friend and district manager Russ Paquet he
was originally from the New England area. Anyone who
 knows where I might reach him please Email me at
 Kylebbjb110@msn.com
 Thanks

Anonymous

Hi I worked in the East Hartford, CT store from 86-97. A year later I landed a position in the Corporate Office in Rocky Hill and celebrated the 40th anniversery of the company in 1998! Little did we all know that we would never reach the 45th. From my perspective, Ames' downfall was the Hills aquisition and the hiring of "Rolando"

"It was the best of times it was the worst of times."
TF

Joeyb

Worked at Rocky Hill home office for 13 years from 1987-2000.  Believe it or not, even after 5 years I still miss it!

D_ar

I worked at the Mount Pleasant, PA branch. The employees still to this day get together every couple months for dinner and to catch up.
:tumble:

greg8370

I worked at Middletown and Willimatic for a year and a month and didn't like it and don't miss it.  Some of the people were nice however.

gene

I worked the Seaford Delaware store just out of college as the "Resident Assistant Manager" which means I closed up at night and supervised the freight crew.  I worked 1:30pm to 12:00 midnite monday thru friday.  I also verified the receipts for the day and took them to the bank.  The other two assistant managers always fought over who would go with me so they could get out of the store.

After my first child was born, I switched to Loss Prevention and whipped up on the shoplifters, which was a never ending job.

I covered several stores in DELMARVA, the cool thing about the seaford store was the justice of the peace was right across the street, so justice coukd be dispensed in a hurry.

Lots of memories....Great site here.

PRoy

I worked for one of Ames suppliers and I thought I had a list of all the Ames stores with addresses from right before they closed. Unfortyunately I think the disk was tossed in one of those "What the hell am I saving this for" moods.

Ames#1171

I worked for Ames store # 1171 (former Hills store # 171) in Parma, OH for 4 years.
Ames" border="0

DaveC2574

1986-1992 # 561 Moundsville, WV
1992-1995 # 528 Huntingdon, PA
1995-1998 # 256 Chambersburg, PA
1998-2000 # 727 North Cape May, NJ
2000-2000 # 747 Neptune, NJ
2000-2001 # 744 Philadelphia, PA (Roosevelt Blvd)
2001-2001 # 754 Fairless Hills, PA
2001-2001 # 745 Bristol, PA
2002---End #2574 New Carrollton, MD

golfcart34

I worked for the Ames in Stratham, NH for a short period during their going out of business sale.

That Ames is now the site of an unfinished furnature store.

magillapd

From 1996-1998 Store 0525 Tunkhannock, PA.  From 2000-2002 Store 1093 Cranberry, PA.

dragongirl1978

I worked at 1014 (Liberty OH) to start, but after cut backs I got 20 hrs in 2 stores 1014 and an old Core store 0397 (Middlefield, OH) and after a few month layoff, I was called back and assigned to 1029 (Champion, OH)  I was LP and it was 3/99 to 10/02.  This site is cool, but it makes me sad.  I MISS AMES!

Chrisp

Hi All -

Zayre Augusta Me
Zayre Waterville Me
Zayre Saco Me
Zayre Portland Me
Newington CT - special assignment
Medford Ma
Revere Ma - special assignment
Project Manager with Remodel Team
Store Operations Store Systems Coordinator  - Ames HOme Office
Purchasing Agent  - Ames HOme Office

Purchasing Agent

davidsky

This is a great site/message board. I found it while looking at defunct store info on Wikipedia.
I used to work for Huffy Service First from 1994 to 2000 or so.
I worked at every Ames store in my area!
Amenia NY
Pawling NY
Kingston NY
Carmel NY
Hyde Park NY
Napanoch NY
New Paltz
Newburgh
Liberty
Monticello.

I never got a chance to work at the Highland NY store and Fishkill had already closed by the time I started working.

ronn0326

ok... i think i have my dates right... this is a long time ago!

1990-1992  store 0326 Norwich NY
1992-1997  remodel team - worked in way too many stores to list here!
1997           store 0708 Liberty NY

i miss ames... haven't enjoyed a job as much since!

patricia128

0705- store trainer

Never thought I would say "I miss AMES"