Main Menu

Ames store

Started by greg8370, March 01, 2005, 12:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg8370

Just a great job.  I trained in that store for 4 weeks in 1999. You didn't want to park under that big tree in front of the parking lot. Store manger's name was Dave I think.  He also worked in Dudley, MA and is a big Phillies fan.  I remember that little hallway leading to his office.  The asst. mgrs were outside and the trainer's room was to the left of the stairs.  That store had a good size upstairs that wrapped around half of the store.  A lot of little nooks and stuff.  There was also a small loft above rec'ving that had a conveyor belt running up it.  There was also a good size room; almost like an annex where they kept furniture stock.  Alll you ex Ames folks know how anal some DM's were about planogramming that stockoom.  This store was also into "Ames games" big time!
Still can't view pics on my home computer had to go to the library to look at the Manchester pics.  Anyone have any ideas about this

C. Fontaine

Wow, it's great to hear all of your stories about your former jobs!  I remember seeing a conveyor belt leading to a second floor in the Dudley building after it closed.  The second floor also had the same wrap-around style, with a big office in the front left corner, above the bathrooms.

I'm sorry, I don't know what is wrong with my website directory from that standpoint, and it's been bugging the hell out of me since you guys mentioned it.  I asked my host and they said everything looks normal on their end, although I am still going through my pages and ftp hoping something might turn up.  I'm so sorry I can't help you guys more, I want this website to be enjoyed by everyone, I wish there was something more I could do.

greg8370

Dayville also had the public restrooms in the lobby on the right as you came in.  I think I already recounted how a customer manage to lock themself into one for about 30-45 minutes.  Those bathrooms were also in bad shape!

greg8370

Were they selling old Ames fixtures?  Is that a weekly event.   Could be a AmesFan Club reunion/rally!

JamesAsal0734

I worked in the Dayville store for most of my 18+ year career at Ames and those photos are just plain depressing...

outbackct

this is a great site. i was the store mgr in jewitt city,dudley and dayville until the end and still have the keys to the store and go there 2 times a week.if anyone has a camera and wants an inside tour let me know. dave

greg8370

Hey Dave,

Phillies, right?  Where did you land?

Greg

C. Fontaine

I would be interested in a tour!

dayville81

anything exciting left in dayville ames? sometimes these stores people leave good things behind.

beachgal26

Did anyone ever get to take him up on his offer to go exploring?  It makes me sad that I am over 1,000 miles away as I would love to go inside and check out how the store looks after all this time!

greg8370

Went up there today and took a bunch of pics.  The building sign is beginning to break apart.  Also took a bunch of pic of the now dead Killingly Cinema behind the store.  Chris are you interested in these pics? LMK--Greg

greg8370

PS--the rec'ving bell still works.

C. Fontaine

Hey Greg,

Definitely, I haven't been in the area in a while.  If you want to send them over to my gmail account, amesfan@gmail.com!

Thanks!!

RogerAnthony

QuoteOriginally posted by greg8370
Went up there today and took a bunch of pics.  The building sign is beginning to break apart.  Also took a bunch of pic of the now dead Killingly Cinema behind the store.  Chris are you interested in these pics? LMK--Greg
My friend was the last operator of that theater.  he ran it for a just a week last fall before realizing that absolutely no one would go there, so he shut it down.  If you've got photos I'd love to post them on CinemaTour.  You can send them to me at rkatz@cinematour.com .

C. Fontaine

Nice shot of the Ames street art, Greg!:insane:

JamesAsal0734

If my memory serves me-- the Ames "street art" was actually the boundaries of a crude basketball court inside a caged outdoor area to the left of the building. It was painted in the summer of 1997 on the occasion of an Ames Hometown Fair, which included a basketball tournament.

It's True!

(although, I'm not sure how the paint has managed to survive 10 years)...

JamesAsal0734

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesAsal0734
If my memory serves me-- the Ames "street art" was actually the boundaries of a crude basketball court inside a caged outdoor area to the left of the building. It was painted in the summer of 1997 on the occasion of an Ames Hometown Fair, which included a basketball tournament.

It's True!

(although, I'm not sure how the paint has managed to survive 10 years)...

Ahh wait a minute-- now that I think about it-- the basketball tournament was held around 2000 or 2001...

jmcnamara96

did any one ever get inside?