Family Dollar

Started by BillyGr, March 02, 2006, 11:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Something is moving into this old Family Dollar. Not sure what tho. There was a building permit in the window for remodeling the space, but it was issued in the name of an individual rather than the name of a business.

Update: This is gonna be an Aaron's Rental Center.

Marc82

The sign on the one in Berlin, CT says they're open 10AM-7PM on Sundays, however when I tried the door at 10:05 it was still locked.

ynkeesfn82

Family Dollar is going into the old Blockbuster Video in downtown Southington.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc82 on November 15, 2009, 11:26:55 AM
The sign on the one in Berlin, CT says they're open 10AM-7PM on Sundays, however when I tried the door at 10:05 it was still locked.

That's retail. When I use to work at Radio Shack years ago, we would open late, close early and close the store for a long lunch break. Happened as well working for Verizon, toys r us, and Sprint.

JimSawhill

Family Dollars are different...in the ghetto area of Tampa, Family Dollar, which is in an old 1960s Winn-Dixie, is bad, but about 7 miles up the street... Family Dollar is in an upper income area and it is a brand new building.

ynkeesfn82

Jim, absolutely correct. The downtown area of Bristol, CT is near a low-income area with a high crime rate and that Family Dollar is run-down an unkempt. As is the one on Myrtle Street in New Britain.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on February 27, 2013, 09:59:14 AM
Jim, absolutely correct. The downtown area of Bristol, CT is near a low-income area with a high crime rate and that Family Dollar is run-down an unkempt. As is the one on Myrtle Street in New Britain.

The Family Dollar stores in this general Hartford area are really not well kept. Not sure if it has to do with the locations. The closest Family Dollar stores to me are down the road from me in Newington on the New Britain line (Twin City) and that one was a bit messy last time I went, and then there's the one in Berlin in the old Foodmart plaza. That location is dirty (the floors are just full of dirt, literally). They don't even utilize all their space most of the time and they look like they are closing. The Berlin one was robbed twice I believe.

ynkeesfn82

An article in The Meriden Record Journal announces that Family Dollar is building a store at the corner of Broad and East Main in Meriden, CT. There are already 3 Family Dollars in Meriden. Why does it need a 4th? Or if this new store is a replacement store why do they need 3?

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/latestnews/article_77b75d58-8750-11e2-8550-001a4bcf887a.html

2 on West Main and 1 on East Main.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on February 27, 2013, 10:21:15 AM
Quote from: Marc B on February 27, 2013, 09:59:14 AM

The Family Dollar stores in this general Hartford area are really not well kept. Not sure if it has to do with the locations. The closest Family Dollar stores to me are down the road from me in Newington on the New Britain line (Twin City) and that one was a bit messy last time I went, and then there's the one in Berlin in the old Foodmart plaza. That location is dirty (the floors are just full of dirt, literally). They don't even utilize all their space most of the time and they look like they are closing. The Berlin one was robbed twice I believe.

If I'm not mistaken... In East Hartford, there were 2 Family Dollars...One in School Street Square and one on Main Street where Ideal Drugs was...

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on February 26, 2013, 07:39:17 PM
Family Dollar is going into the old Blockbuster Video in downtown Southington.

They've been open about a month now. Really nice. Much nicer than the ones in Bristol, Plainville, and New Britain. It's great that there's a place for people to do shopping who live in downtown Southington. There are lots of restaurants and not much else in downtown Southington.

MikeRa

We have a few Family Dollars in the Philadelphia area.  2 that I know of are on Frankford Avenue.  1 is in a former F. W. Woolworth Co. building.  The other is in a former Save-A-Lot location, itself a former Food Fair/Pantry Pride supermarket.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

BillyGr

Just heard on the radio this morning that they have (finally) opened their new store in Rensselaer (NY) - this store is in a part of a building that had been a Bargain Outlet, and was a regular Grossman's store before that.

ynkeesfn82

Family Dollar on Undercover Boss Friday November 8th at 8PM Eastern on CBS.

ynkeesfn82

The Family Dollar in Plainville, Connecticut just got a new sign. It's huge and much bigger than the sign on the store they opened in downtown Southington last year.

TheFugitive

They have stores in Mount Oliver and Beltzhoover, two of the ghetto-est neighborhoods in Pittsburgh.
They are willing to go where other retailers dare to tread.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 28, 2014, 11:50:16 AM
They have stores in Mount Oliver and Beltzhoover, two of the ghetto-est neighborhoods in Pittsburgh.
They are willing to go where other retailers dare to tread.

Yeah come check out the one on Myrtle Street in New Britain, Connecticut. It's right near where all the hookers hang out. And while the one on North Main in Bristol, CT is right by the police station, the area is not very nice. Lots of drug dealing going on at the adjacent Bracket Park.

TheFugitive

The French Government has issued a travel warning telling their citizens
not to go into Mount Oliver.

http://web.archive.org/web/20131113225556/http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conseils-aux-voyageurs/conseils-par-pays/etats-unis-12311/

ynkeesfn82

Family Dollar opened a new free standing store on Allen Street in New Britain, replacing their store in 4 Star Plaza on Allen Street.

TheFugitive

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 26, 2013, 10:13:28 PM
Quote from: Marc82 on November 15, 2009, 11:26:55 AM

That's retail. When I use to work at Radio Shack years ago, we would open late, close early and close the store for a long lunch break. Happened as well working for Verizon, toys r us, and Sprint.

If I had done that as a Manager with Ames they would have booted me from east-central Michigan
all the way back to Rocky Hill. :o

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on March 26, 2014, 06:51:53 PM
The Family Dollar in Plainville, Connecticut just got a new sign. It's huge and much bigger than the sign on the store they opened in downtown Southington last year.

This Family Dollar in Plainville is moving. It's still going to be on East Street (Route 10), but it appears it's going to be located in a soon-to-be constructed free-standing building. It's going to be in-between Plainville Optical and Always Bloomin' Florist. It's really close to their existing store.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on November 13, 2014, 01:08:27 PM

This Family Dollar in Plainville is moving. It's still going to be on East Street (Route 10), but it appears it's going to be located in a soon-to-be constructed free-standing building. It's going to be in-between Plainville Optical and Always Bloomin' Florist. It's really close to their existing store.

What is going on with the status of the Family Dollar/Dollar General deal? I assume the Family Dollar name is staying around with a new store being built.

BillyGr

Quote from: AmesNewington on November 17, 2014, 04:29:53 PM
Quote from: Marc B on November 13, 2014, 01:08:27 PM

What is going on with the status of the Family Dollar/Dollar General deal? I assume the Family Dollar name is staying around with a new store being built.

Actually it's Dollar TREE that is trying to buy Family Dollar - Dollar General put in a bid but Family Dollar rejected it.

ynkeesfn82

I haven't heard anything lately about the merger or buyout or whatever you want to call it. Just like the post I made about Men's Wearhouse buying out the other Men's store JOS A BANK. The JOS A BANK in Plainville opened late this Spring/Early this summer and it still JOS A BANK.

TheFugitive

ynkeesfn82

There was an article in yesterday's New York Post that said they haven't accepted bids by either Dollar General or Dollar Tree yet. The article says the decision has been delayed until some time in 2015. The article also mentioned the Federal Trade Commission says Dollar General will have to shutter up to 4500 locations if the merger goes through and so far they've only committed to shutter 1500.

ynkeesfn82

According to Wikipedia (which never should be trusted as a source) Family Dollar approved the take over by Dollar Tree in January 2015.

Meanwhile construction on the new Plainville, Connecticut Family Dollar is nearing completion. Today they were putting the sign on the building. P.S. the owner of the plaza where Family Dollar in Plainville is currently located put the plaza For Sale. It's kind of untrue marketing as they're advertising the plaza as 100% occupied. (Yeah 100% occupied until Family Dollar relocates).

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on May 27, 2015, 01:08:17 PM
According to Wikipedia (which never should be trusted as a source) Family Dollar approved the take over by Dollar Tree in January 2015.

Meanwhile construction on the new Plainville, Connecticut Family Dollar is nearing completion. Today they were putting the sign on the building. P.S. the owner of the plaza where Family Dollar in Plainville is currently located put the plaza For Sale. It's kind of untrue marketing as they're advertising the plaza as 100% occupied. (Yeah 100% occupied until Family Dollar relocates).

So, the Family Dollar name is still going to exist? I'm wondering what will become of some of the Family Dollar locations in my area.

retailisking

Quote from: AmesNewington on May 27, 2015, 03:33:06 PM
So, the Family Dollar name is still going to exist? I'm wondering what will become of some of the Family Dollar locations in my area.

FD is safe, but DT is expected to experiment with rebannering some FD stores as DT. The deal is now supposed to close in July.

ynkeesfn82

Like they're doing in Plainville, Connecticut and what they already did in with one of their locations in New Britain Family Dollar plans on moving one of its stores in Meriden, Connecticut out of a shopping plaza in this case the dying Meriden Parkade and build a free standing location a little ways up East Main Street from the Meriden Parkade.

FROM MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

Family Dollar proposed for East Main site in Meriden

Published: July 20, 2015 | Last Modified: July 20, 2015 07:08PM
By Andrew Ragali Record-Journal staff

MERIDEN â€" A proposal would move Family Dollar in the Meriden Parkade less than a quarter-mile down East Main Street to a standalone location.

Kevin Curry and Kevin Danby, owners of 1324 E. Main St., seek approval to build a Family Dollar on their 57,000-square-foot vacant property. Under the proposal, the Family Dollar, which leases space in the Meriden Parkade, 1231 E. Main St., would move to the standalone building sometime next year.

“They want more visibility,” Curry said of Family Dollar. “When going into existing space, you’re trying out a market. Now that they’ve been in there and know what their sales are, they know if they go into a standalone location they could see an increase in business.”

If all goes according to plan, construction of the 9,000-square-foot Family Dollar will begin next spring, he said. The proposal goes before the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission on Tuesday, and will be taken up by the Planning Commission on Wednesday. Curry is a member of the Planning Commission. Before anything is final, Family Dollar’s corporate headquarters must approve the move, Curry noted.

As part of the proposed project, a culvert will be built for Spoonshoppe Brooke along East Main Street, he said. Flooding problems have plagued building sites along the northern side of East Main Street. Curry said the Family Dollar application is based on a site plan that was previously approved for the property about three years ago, when Hunter’s Ambulance Service sought a larger east side facility. Curry and Danby won approval in 2012 to build a 13,000-square-foot operations center at 1324 E. Main St., but several months later the ambulance service backed out of the move for financial reasons.

Using prior plans as a framework, approval should move “pretty fast,” said Economic Development Director Juliet Burdelski. The Family Dollar proposal is a “good fit” for East Main Street, she added, as new development in the area includes improved sidewalks, flood control measures and aesthetics.

An East Main Street tax incentive program approved by the City Council earlier this year is already “having the desired effect,” Burdelski said. “Our goal for the whole East Main Street corridor is to try to better utilize underdeveloped sites and increase traffic for other sites.”

In recent months, a J.D. Byrider used car sales business opened on upper East Main Street and owners from Taino Smokehouse in Middletown purchased the former Jacoby’s Restaurant location with plans to open a new location. Both businesses plan to use the new tax incentive.

If the project moves forward, Curry and Danby are likely to get a fixed property assessment for two years through the tax incentive program, she said. The program can be utilized by property owners making improvements to property located on East Main Street between Bee Street and the Meriden/Middlefield town line. It follows state statute, which allows municipalities to fix property assessments no more than seven years, provided the cost of improvements are at least $3 million. Assessments can also be fixed for a two-year period provided improvements costs are at least $500,000.

There are two other Family Dollar locations in Meriden, at 311 and 560 W. Main St. In 2013, a developer submitted plans to put a Family Dollar at the northwest corner of East Main and Broad streets. The state Department of Transportation, however, nixed the plan because of traffic concerns.