Dollar Tree

Started by shakethis1234, January 08, 2005, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everything Community

Here's this Family Dollar next to the newer Dollar Tree (post shown above!) in the Windsor Avenue plaza.

BTW, The Dollar Tree recently moved here from the Ellington store which was next to Big Y. Now at this plaza, it's a two-in-one dollar plaza!

MikeRa

Quote from: ShopKoFan on June 03, 2019, 03:36:20 AM
I think they should sell everything at prices ranging from $1.00 to $5.00, just like Five Below, but for a much older demographic. Maybe Dollar Tree should change their slogan to "Everything's $1 to $5" and sell everything at those price points.
Before Dollar Tree bought Family Dollar, they had Deals, which sold everying from $1 up.  Deals only closed because of Family Dollar.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

riickyyyspaaaaniiiish

Does anyone else feel like a king walking out of DT?  You could go wild picking out soap, bandaids, sponges, toothbrushes, and a couple snacks and you are not spending much money at all.  It's a real hidden gem.
misses spags

Brammy

The Dollar Tree in the Connecticut Commons in Plainville was kind of getting a remodel when I was there the other day. They were getting some new beverage coolers, some new fixtures, and they were moving products around.
The Real Brammy

Retail Regents

Quote from: bjs203marc on October 24, 2019, 09:11:53 PM
The Dollar Tree in the Connecticut Commons in Plainville was kind of getting a remodel when I was there the other day. They were getting some new beverage coolers, some new fixtures, and they were moving products around.

They did mine too. Added that "snack center" to the middle of the store. Nasty crap carpet is still there.

Brammy

Quote from: Retail Regents on October 25, 2019, 11:23:56 PM
Nasty crap carpet is still there.

Interesting. At the Dollar Tree in Queen Plaza* in Southington, CT the town where I live, the Dollar Tree they removed the carpeting a few years back and replaced it with flooring. The other Dollar Tree in downtown Southington** had flooring from the beginning.That location was a Family Dollar that opened in 2013 and was converted to Dollar Tree shortly after the merger of Dollar Tree and Family Dollar was completed.

The Dollar Tree in Bristol, CT, which has been open for close to 20 years at this point - a former CVS still has carpeting.

*Dollar Tree in Queen Plaza has been open more than 20 years. They started in a small 4,500 Square Foot Space that is now Anytime Fitness. In 2005 they moved into a 10,000 Square Foot spot in the same plaza that had previously had been a Joann's.*** When they moved into that space is when they started selling frozen food and dairy products.

**The downtown Soutington Dollar Tree location has been many things going back to the 70s.

Guido's Supermarket. - I don't know if they also used the space that is currently a Chinese Takeout Restaurant and a Dominos.
CVS/Pharmacy.  - They built a freestanding building nearby.
Blockbuster Video - They relocated from Southington Square a small plaza on Queen Street and they didn't use all of the Guido's space. I think the part they didn't used was eventually fire damaged. Their Southington Square location is now a Mattress Firm, which previously used the name Sleepy's.
Family Dollar - opened in 2013. They gutted the building and used all the space.

***Joann's would return to Southington in 2014. At 20,000 Square Feet their new store is double the size of their original Southington location. It's in ShopRite Plaza in the former Bernie's. The Southington store replaced a small store of under 10,000 Square feet in the plaza with Big Lots in Bristol, CT.
The Real Brammy

Retail Regents

The one in the Delaware Plaza in Delmar, NY is quite the classic. No refrigeration coolers and still has the pink-and-green pastel paint scheme inside. Additionally contains Rehrig shopping carts without vertical poles (appears to have had them in the past).

Retail Regents

Meanwhile in Latham, they moved out of their smaller, classic location in Latham Farms and moved into the former Eckerd/Rite Aid on Troy-Schenectady Road. Flooring is concrete with tile markings intact and original Eckerd lighting is intact. Also uses former ShopKo carts, which is an unusual choice for Dollar Tree since they don't re-use carts from other retailers. Might have set a new precedent.

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on December 08, 2019, 02:58:10 PM
Meanwhile in Latham, they moved out of their smaller, classic location in Latham Farms and moved into the former Eckerd/Rite Aid on Troy-Schenectady Road. Flooring is concrete with tile markings intact and original Eckerd lighting is intact. Also uses former ShopKo carts, which is an unusual choice for Dollar Tree since they don't re-use carts from other retailers. Might have set a new precedent.

Good to see they found a better spot there - that store was pretty small compared to most.  Although I'm not sure why they went as far as they did, unless that was the only thing that was available in their price range (had they waited a bit they might have been able to just go across the street into the AC Moore spot).

Retail Regents

The Johnstown store at last got rid of the disgusting carpet. Also a new Cart Source shopping cart makes a cameo.

Everything Community

A national discount retailer plans to open in Farmington at 5 Mill St., the former location of a Walgreens store that closed in 2020.

It would be Dollar Tree's first location in town. Currently, the chain's nearest location is in West Hartford

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/dollar-tree-plans-to-open-store-in-farmington

Retail Regents

Quote from: Everything Community on May 20, 2022, 10:57:20 PMA national discount retailer plans to open in Farmington at 5 Mill St., the former location of a Walgreens store that closed in 2020.

It would be Dollar Tree's first location in town. Currently, the chain's nearest location is in West Hartford

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/dollar-tree-plans-to-open-store-in-farmington

No surprise there, given how many stores were subleased following the failed Rite Aid acquisition.

Retail Regents

The former Kincaid Home Furnishings building in Latham is now a Dollar Tree.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on August 19, 2022, 02:27:40 PMThe former Kincaid Home Furnishings building in Latham is now a Dollar Tree.

AKA Former Silo Electronics store many years earlier?

Definitely much better than that store they had in Latham Farms which was quite tiny (had to be one they got from some other dollar store chain, as it was more like those you say in the 1990's with about 4 or 5 aisles at most).

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on August 20, 2022, 09:41:06 AM
Quote from: Retail Regents on August 19, 2022, 02:27:40 PMThe former Kincaid Home Furnishings building in Latham is now a Dollar Tree.

Definitely much better than that store they had in Latham Farms which was quite tiny (had to be one they got from some other dollar store chain, as it was more like those you say in the 1990's with about 4 or 5 aisles at most).

Yes, it is that store. Quite frankly, it seems rather redundant for them to have opened another store in the area, considering they have the Troy-Schenectady location which opened three years ago. This one appears to be a recent opening.

Knowing that a chain called Only $One was based in New York that Dollar Tree acquired in 1999, is it possible that many of these older, smaller stores were their former stores? The only problem with that is stores like the old Latham and Delmar stores had the pastel green/pink color scheme, which was replaced with the red "Everything's $1" decor around 1999 or 2000.

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on August 20, 2022, 05:12:41 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on August 20, 2022, 09:41:06 AM

Yes, it is that store. Quite frankly, it seems rather redundant for them to have opened another store in the area, considering they have the Troy-Schenectady location which opened three years ago. This one appears to be a recent opening.

Knowing that a chain called Only $One was based in New York that Dollar Tree acquired in 1999, is it possible that many of these older, smaller stores were their former stores? The only problem with that is stores like the old Latham and Delmar stores had the pastel green/pink color scheme, which was replaced with the red "Everything's $1" decor around 1999 or 2000.

Probably not an issue - they have two in the East Greenbush/North Greenbush area as well (one is on Route 4 near Target, the other on 9/20 by Market 32).  Plus, one in Rensselaer that started as a Family Dollar shortly before the merger, then switched to Dollar Tree (which made no sense, given the other two near enough and that with less stores in Rensselaer, having the option to sell at all price levels made for more options of what to offer).
I know if I was in Latham, I wouldn't necessarily go out towards Schenectady (that other store is just about at the border, in the old drug store, if I remember correctly), so having one closer to other retail there is probably logical.

That purchase of another chain makes sense - remember the Delmar store being smaller as well, not sure that one ever moved/changed but may just be a lack of places to go out there.

Retail_247

I stumbled upon this Dollar Tree in a former vintage looking Walgreens in Bloomington, MN:

https://retail247.blogspot.com/2022/10/quick-look-former-vintage-walgreens.html
Retail_247