Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

Vornado Realty Trust is paying "Fast Eddie" $46 million to shut down one of his small KMART stores in NYC so that Facebook can expanded their office there. Vornado will also be paying another much larger tenant to move as well. As I said elsewhere "Fast Eddie" will blow through that $46 million so fast and it will be of no benefit to SHC.

https://therealdeal.com/2018/01/04/vornado-has-plans-to-clear-out-more-space-for-facebook-in-midtown-south-sources/

buzz86us

Quote from: Brammy on January 07, 2018, 08:45:50 AM
Vornado Realty Trust is paying "Fast Eddie" $46 million to shut down one of his small KMART stores in NYC so that Facebook can expanded their office there. Vornado will also be paying another much larger tenant to move as well. As I said elsewhere "Fast Eddie" will blow through that $46 million so fast and it will be of no benefit to SHC.

https://therealdeal.com/2018/01/04/vornado-has-plans-to-clear-out-more-space-for-facebook-in-midtown-south-sources/
that is not a real loss.. I have personally been to that store and compared to the neighborhood around it it is like stepping into a flipping time machine this is a very old style K-Mart the tiled floors are raised or cracking... it is poetic justice really the remains of one department store buying another..

danfifepsu

I had a dream last night of all the Kmarts closing.

JSIDA17

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 08, 2018, 10:01:11 PM
I won't be a dream anymore in the next year or so.

danfifepsu

Quote from: JSIDA17 on January 09, 2018, 02:28:03 PM
I won't be a dream anymore in the next year or so.

Kmart has gone down so much to the pt where it wont bother me anymore. I give it another year. I mean 30-65 stores per quarter close and 370 left by early April.

buzz86us

it'd be a loss to me.. where would I get my free stuff from SYWR

JJBers

My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

danfifepsu

When will the next wave be?

EddieJ1984

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 15, 2018, 04:59:26 PM
When will the next wave be?

Last one before this wave was November.
So March perhaps?
Seems crazy every 2 months, clearly a company bleeding money.

MikeinBuffalo

This has nothing to do with anything, but I really liked how this picture turned out. Taken off my phone! Technology....

Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

standa

Quote from: MikeinBuffalo on February 19, 2018, 04:45:10 PM
This has nothing to do with anything, but I really liked how this picture turned out. Taken off my phone! Technology....

That's a great K-Mart photo, with an early evening blue sky. In which town is it located?

MikeinBuffalo

Quote from: standa on February 19, 2018, 06:05:35 PM

That's a great K-Mart photo, with an early evening blue sky. In which town is it located?

This is the one in Buffalo on Hertel Ave. One of only two left in the area.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

Zayre88

I was looking at Sears Holdings report of the fourth quarter and Full Year 2017 Results, and they indicate that only 432 Kmart stores remain...

Very sad...  A year ago they reported having 735 Kmart stores.

https://searsholdings.com/press-releases/pr/2082

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 24, 2018, 07:52:38 AM
I was looking at Sears Holdings report of the fourth quarter and Full Year 2017 Results, and they indicate that only 432 Kmart stores remain...

Very sad...  A year ago they reported having 735 Kmart stores.

https://searsholdings.com/press-releases/pr/2082
Only 370 Kmarts left by mid April. Kmart will soon foĺlow toys r us

danfifepsu

Kmart's HOME STATE has only 13 stores left, when it had at least 130 stores. and very few left EVEN IN DETROIT where they began and last year they closed the first ever store. That is not good if they have decreased their presence like this in their home area! As of 2 weeks ago the Super Center format was officially discontinued. Even whole regions in states lost their last Kmart.

TheFugitive

Wondering what to do with those unredeemed Toys R Us gift cards?

Kmart has the answer.  Turn them into "freecash" under their Shop Your Way program.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3347932-kmart-wants-toys-r-us-sales

Gotta say, this is a very clever and astute move.

danfifepsu

That wont work as I said in the Toys r us thread as many markets have lost their Kmarts and Kmart has half as many stores as Toys r us does, some states the only Kmarts left are in smaller cities as in those states they pulled out of the bigger markets. It wont do much good.

TheFugitive

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 24, 2018, 06:58:46 AM
Kmart's HOME STATE has only 13 stores left, when it had at least 130 stores. and very few left EVEN IN DETROIT where they began and last year they closed the first ever store. That is not good if they have decreased their presence like this in their home area! As of 2 weeks ago the Super Center format was officially discontinued. Even whole regions in states lost their last Kmart.

Michigan has not been Kmart's home state since 2005 when the longtime headquarters on
Big Beaver Road in Troy was closed and merged into Sears HQ in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.

JimSawhill

The KMart in Brandon is closing. In the 70s, the Brandon KMart was  the first store you saw going west from Mulberry on State Route 60. It was connected to BigStar Supermarket, which is now a Chuck E. Cheese. Now, Route 60 has stores East of KMart - CVS, Walgreens, WalMart, Home Depot, IHOP, Publix...

danfifepsu

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 29, 2018, 10:18:49 PM

The KMart in Brandon is closing. In the 70s, the Brandon KMart was  the first store you saw going west from Mulberry on State Route 60. It was connected to BigStar Supermarket, which is now a Chuck E. Cheese. Now, Route 60 has stores East of KMart - CVS, Walgreens, WalMart, Home Depot, IHOP, Publix...

thats called out with the old in with the new too

Ok when will Kmart have a new wave of closings? these 2 Brandon and Saugus dont qualify. The one in Saugus, it was a matter of time as the store got dingier and dirtier and less store traffic over the years and a Walmart opened up the road in 2014.
Kmarts stores I have seen cracked floors, some leaking or stained ceilings, half the lights on, a old store smell and a weak Electronic Department thats no bigger than a bartending area. Their stores havent been remodeled since 1990. and many would say why ya need Kmart when you got WAlmart down the road. I hope for the Florida Keys when Kmart goes they will get replaced by a Walmart or Key west A Smaller Format Target.
A few towns have Kmart as its only store, either the get a Walmart or its like some of those towns after Ames closed where they have not had a store like that since. Madawaska Maine will be that way probably as its population now is BELOW 4 K ppl and people will have to order online, go to WAlmart across the river in Edmnston or drive to PResque Isle Super Walmart. the store there is 50,000 sq.ft. and in what was a WT GRANT.
many states have 3 to 5 Kmarts left. Only 2 in Georgia which they remain within 30 mi radius of Atlanta.

Oh surprised many times I have seen a Kmart be a desolate wasteland while the Walmart across the street was packed and busy.
again their stores look the same as they did about 30 yrs ago. I recall Kmart had what you wanted now its like a junk store feel when ya can g o to WAlmart. I recall when I never even heard of WAlmart till it opened in NH in 1991 or Target. The one in NYC near MACYS has a broken escalator and feels dingy.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I remember when Kmart was nearly on equal footing with Wal-Mart when it came to competition between the two in the 1980s and 1990s.
When Kmart filed for Chapter 11 in 2001, Kmart lost its way after 2002, now it's "Everything Kmart does, Wal-Mart does better..."

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 02, 2018, 12:28:30 AM
I remember when Kmart was nearly on equal footing with Wal-Mart when it came to competition between the two in the 1980s and 1990s.
When Kmart filed for Chapter 11 in 2001, Kmart lost its way after 2002, now it's "Everything Kmart does, Wal-Mart does better..."

yes like I said how small Kmarts electronics are. and Kmarts prices are high too. I feel Kmart lost its way before 2002, like 1994 when it started closing stores. the first to go where in smaller rural markets in the bread and basket states where a Walmart was there.
Plus as Kmart filed for bankruptcy more and more of their stores were becoming Supercenters, and Kmart didnt make it w that format. They had plans to open in the Carribean islands in 2002 but bankruptcy halted that.

I can recall love going into Kmart more years ago.

Whats made Kmart not remodel their stores?

busman_49

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 29, 2018, 10:36:05 PM
Ok when will Kmart have a new wave of closings?

Pretty sad that we're all sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop...  In a way I'm kind of glad that Kmart hasn't died out completely.  In addition to being able to visit the now-departed last-ever-Super K, I stopped in at 16 other stores last summer and am hoping to be able to visit at least three more by the end of June.

The metro area in which I work still has two limping along.

AmesNewington

Quote from: busman_49 on May 02, 2018, 06:21:51 AM

Pretty sad that we're all sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop...  In a way I'm kind of glad that Kmart hasn't died out completely.  In addition to being able to visit the now-departed last-ever-Super K, I stopped in at 16 other stores last summer and am hoping to be able to visit at least three more by the end of June.

It IS sad. It's astounding how the company is still going even after all this time of struggling. Perhaps they have a slim chance at surviving for a while longer. Soon there won't be many stores left to close before they are all gone. I hope they can stop closings and focus on the stores they have left. If they can't make them work, then it would be time to go altogether. I've had luck with shopping online at both Kmart and Sears.

danfifepsu

Quote from: AmesNewington on May 02, 2018, 07:22:33 AM
Quote from: busman_49 on May 02, 2018, 06:21:51 AM

It IS sad. It's astounding how the company is still going even after all this time of struggling. Perhaps they have a slim chance at surviving for a while longer. Soon there won't be many stores left to close before they are all gone. I hope they can stop closings and focus on the stores they have left. If they can't make them work, then it would be time to go altogether. I've had luck with shopping online at both Kmart and Sears.

Kmart has 360 something stores left, down from 2300 25 years ago. When a chain downsizes like this there is no saving it and their stores are outdated and I mention earlier other conditions of their stores. And I have many times seen a Kmart desolate while the Walmart near it is real busy, as many will choose to go to Walmart. What Kmart is doing is Woolworth style close them in waves and have a few left before closing all. Many states have fast stretches without a Kmart.

TheFugitive

The lone remaining Kmart near my home is across the road from the site of a Super Walmart.
Many people are preferring to shop at that Kmart now because it's far less of a hassle than
the Super Walmart.

I agree though, this won't last much longer.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TheFugitive on May 02, 2018, 10:29:51 AM
The lone remaining Kmart near my home is across the road from the site of a Super Walmart.
Many people are preferring to shop at that Kmart now because it's far less of a hassle than
the Super Walmart.

I agree though, this won't last much longer.

Where is this?

TheFugitive

West Mifflin, PA, near Century III Mall.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: danfifepsu on May 02, 2018, 05:57:25 AM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 02, 2018, 12:28:30 AM

yes like I said how small Kmarts electronics are. and Kmarts prices are high too. I feel Kmart lost its way before 2002, like 1994 when it started closing stores. the first to go where in smaller rural markets in the bread and basket states where a Walmart was there.
Plus as Kmart filed for bankruptcy more and more of their stores were becoming Supercenters, and Kmart didnt make it w that format. They had plans to open in the Carribean islands in 2002 but bankruptcy halted that.

I can recall love going into Kmart more years ago.

Whats made Kmart not remodel their stores?
I do recall Kmart making small interior/exterior renovations to their stores in 1997. Most of the Kmart stores became Big Kmart stores, which included among many things, a bigger pantry department and a Penske auto repair shop.

Kmart could not afford to remodel most of its stores in 2002, except for the prototypes in Peoria, Illinois and White Lake, Michigan.

They abandoned those plans to renovate all their stores to that green concept in favor of another store concept in 2005, a year after they introduced Kmart's new logo. I guess it hasn't been easy for Kmart to keep up with Wal-Mart and Target.

shore72

The remodeling &, probably more important, the replacement of older stores with newer ones in newer parts of town---that should have happened in a big way by the early 90's. I think that's the biggest killer of so many older chains: they get complacent & let old, sub-standard stores crumble to the ground while new competition builds bright, shiny, bigger stores in less sketchy parts of town. The competition doesn't even have to be that great, they just have to be new. Kmart did build lots of very nice stores in the 90's but then closed them down because they picked the wrong areas or were going head-to-head with Wal*Mart in towns that just couldn't support both. We had one locally, built in the mid-90's, that was open less than 2 years. A  developer is finally doing something with the building, vacant ever since. Meanwhile, some of the stores they kept open around here were early/mid-70's era, and looked it.