Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kmart4life

Former Kmart in Winter Haven FL.

Kmart4life

One more from the garden center and I would have been able to get more but the property owners were there and they ran me off.

retailisking

Liquidation or new stocking strategy? Employees and Kmart's corporate spokesman disagree about what it all means. As always with Business Insider, take it with a grain of salt...
http://www.businessinsider.com/kmart-employees-say-brand-is-failing-2016-7

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The last of the 2002 green/gray Kmart prototype stores has closed.

* White Lake Township, Michigan (opened on November 17, 1988, remodeled in 2002 into the flagship Kmart prototype store, closed 2014, demolished for a new Kroger Marketplace store)
* Peoria, Illinois (originally a Venture store, opened in 1998 as Kmart, remodeled in 2002, closed October 2014)
* Washington, Illinois (opened in 1981, remodeled in 2002, closed on April 3, 2011, now a Big R store)
* Morton, Illinois (opened on March 27, 1980, remodeled in 2002, closed April 2014)
* Pekin, Illinois (opened on September 9, 1970, remodeled in 2002, closed on August 8, 2016)

White Lake Township, Michigan (flagship prototype store):

Peoria (former Venture store):

Washington, Illinois:

Morton, Illinois:

Pekin, Illinois:

busman_49

I would have loved to have seen one of those green Kmarts.

Chuck E. Cheese

That's sad. That logo has so much potential..
They could have been the next green retailer outside of Ames, lol

danfifepsu

what went wrong w the green Kmarts? And why all peoria ones closed?

Id say all this shows Kmart is just too far gone. and why have they closed many in Illinios and most of them in that state that are left are around Chicago.

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 17, 2016, 06:35:34 AM

Id say all this shows Kmart is just too far gone. and why have they closed many in Illinios and most of them in that state that are left are around Chicago.

I do not know why the Peoria locations closed. All I know is that that Sears Holdings decided to close them. You are right about one thing: they are too far gone!

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on August 16, 2016, 06:09:15 PM
That's sad. That logo has so much potential..
They could have been the next green retailer outside of Ames, lol
I guess Shopko and Shopko Hometown can make that claim now!

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 17, 2016, 01:54:29 PM

I do not know why the Peoria locations closed. All I know is that that Sears Holdings decided to close them. You are right about one thing: they are too far gone!

but why PEoria and that logo? That logo was great!!! is Peoria a bad market????? and what if they turned 100 in the green logo then what would have happened?   why have they closed so many in that state, wisconsin and minnesotta and even their home area detroit.

Pikapower

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 17, 2016, 02:21:56 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 17, 2016, 01:54:29 PM

but why PEoria and that logo? That logo was great!!! is Peoria a bad market????? and what if they turned 100 in the green logo then what would have happened?   why have they closed so many in that state, wisconsin and minnesotta and even their home area detroit.

I don't know, but it's a shame that the green and gray stores are all closed!  :(
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Too much competition from Walmart and Target (also why Shopko left), maybe?

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 18, 2016, 11:35:52 AM

does peoira have poverty? as Shopko and Kmart left. and there is NO MEIJER SO FAR, whats the chances they will make it there. Shopko left Springfield too and there is 2 Kmarts in ILL

but why have they CLOSED SO MANY KMARTS in Illinios when the eastern half of the midwest is their stronghold and there is only 2 left in FLint and not in flint its self, they have none in Detroit city limits.

TheFugitive

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 18, 2016, 11:47:20 AM

does peoira have poverty? as Shopko and Kmart left. and there is NO MEIJER SO FAR, whats the chances they will make it there. Shopko left Springfield too and there is 2 Kmarts in ILL

but why have they CLOSED SO MANY KMARTS in Illinios when the eastern half of the midwest is their stronghold and there is only 2 left in FLint and not in flint its self, they have none in Detroit city limits.

Go to Flint or Detroit and look around.  The reasons are self-explanatory.
I lived in Flint 25 years ago, and another 40,000 people have left since then.

The major employer in Peoria is Caterpillar, and they have been struggling over the past few years.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TheFugitive on August 18, 2016, 12:55:34 PM

The major employer in Peoria is Caterpillar, and they have been struggling over the past few years.

flint is below the 100K ppl mark. Detroit and FLint have lost lots of ppl and filled w crime and among the top most dangerous cities but still thats Kmarts home!

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 18, 2016, 05:08:31 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on August 18, 2016, 12:55:34 PM

flint is below the 100K ppl mark. Detroit and FLint have lost lots of ppl and filled w crime and among the top most dangerous cities but still thats Kmarts home!
Troy, Michigan (a Detroit suburb) was Kmart's former home until Sears Roebuck & Company of Hoffman Estates, Illinois (a Chicago suburb) bought them out in 2005, as we all know.

giantsfan2016

My Mom and one of her friends went to the Watertown, Connecticut store. She couldn't believe how run down the store was and how expensive everything was.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Marc B on August 26, 2016, 04:23:49 PM
My Mom and one of her friends went to the Watertown, Connecticut store. She couldn't believe how run down the store was and how expensive everything was.

a typical Kmart.

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 26, 2016, 11:16:15 PM

a typical Kmart.
Agreed.

JSIDA17

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 31, 2016, 03:58:09 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on August 26, 2016, 11:16:15 PM

a typical Kmart.
Agreed.

Not all of them are/were run down. The Putnam, CT one was actually well maintained, no different color tiles peppering the floors and ceiling lights from the 1960's.

If I were the CEO of Sears Holdings, I would sell the remaining Sears locations to Belk, and the remaining Kmart locations to Rose's.

JSIDA17

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 03, 2016, 07:43:17 PM
If I were the CEO of Sears Holdings, I would sell the remaining Sears locations to Belk, and the remaining Kmart locations to Rose's.

I completely agree. Let's just speed up the inevitable of Sears and Kmart collapsing.  ;D

TheFugitive

Detroit Free Press article is predicting Chapter 11 for Sears-Kmart

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2016/09/11/bankruptcy-again-kmart/90118240/

Pull quote from the article:

"Why did anyone think that two bad companies would result in a good company? That never happens," Conway said.

"A bad company with a good company can cause a bad company," he added. "Two good companies will make a better company. But you can't fix a bad company by merging with a bad company. And of course that was the only play left."

Boy, did I experience THAT lesson up-close-and-personal during the Ames-Zayre merger days!

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 12, 2016, 04:16:39 PM
Detroit Free Press article is predicting Chapter 11 for Sears-Kmart

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2016/09/11/bankruptcy-again-kmart/90118240/

Pull quote from the article:

"Why did anyone think that two bad companies would result in a good company? That never happens," Conway said.

"A bad company with a good company can cause a bad company," he added. "Two good companies will make a better company. But you can't fix a bad company by merging with a bad company. And of course that was the only play left."

Boy, did I experience THAT lesson up-close-and-personal during the Ames-Zayre merger days!
Two bad companies merging into one larger company leads to an even bigger fiasco in the end.

buzz86us

I like K-Mart if they ever went out i'd buy the IP... the Aussie K-Mart should buy all the remaining stores

Quote from: buzz86us on September 12, 2016, 08:01:09 PM
the Aussie K-Mart should buy all the remaining stores
I doubt that AU Kmart would buy US Kmart. That would make as much sense as Hungry Jack's buying Burger King. I'd rather just let US Kmart die, along with Sears, Kmart has made one too many mistakes.

danfifepsu

in December Lafayette IN, 2 in GRand rapids area, SCOTTSBLUF NEBRASKA, FAYETTEVILLE NORTHWESTERN ARKANSAS SPRINGDALE AL STORE (only one near WALMART HQ), Abilene TX, Oak Ridge TN and Binghamton are closing,  Burlington NC, cullman al, cody al, nachez MS and there will be TWO LEFT IN MISSISSIPPI THEN WHY?Huh and only 3 or 4 in NEBRASKA

danfifepsu

and craig co is closing too   http://www.natchezdemocrat.com/2016/09/17/natchez-kmart-store-to-close-in-mid-december/

and KEARNEY NEBRASKA IS CLOSING. ONLY 2 LEFT IN NEBRASKA, ALLIANCE which is one of the smallest and OMAHA.

danfifepsu

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-kmart-stores-closing-2016-9 and only one left arond Salt Lake City too and last one in memphis seems is closing. THINGS ARE GETTING REALLY BAD!

and Mentor isnt on the store locator and its a remaining Supercenter and Warren Oh a remaning supercenters hours are from 8 am to 11 pm. MAYBE ITS at this pt or soon RIP SUPER KMART 1991-2016.

danfifepsu

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2696076@N25/discuss/72157662683676372/  (ONE OF THEM, IN GREAT BARRINGTON ITS THE ONYL STORE IF ITS KIND FOR 30 miles WHY? its 52,000 sq.ft.
these ones PLUS THE ONES IN THE FEW POSTS ABOVE.

Dothan, AL
Gardendale, AL
Jonesboro, AR
Springdale, AR
Glendale, AZ
Sierra Vista, AZ*
Commerce, CA
Fontana, CA
Indio, CA
Thornton, CO
Inverness, FL
Augusta, GA