My Community
October 23, 2014, 08:24:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2014 Forums for Ames, retail stores, supermarkets, malls & more!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Search Gallery Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 108
  Print  
Author Topic: K-Mart  (Read 105825 times)
Kmart4life

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: November 08, 2011, 11:07:05 PM »

I like the Shop Your Way Rewards program too. I already have close to $20.00 in points!
Kmart4life

View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: November 08, 2011, 11:09:02 PM »

Picture of the Winter Haven Fl. #3624 road sign at night.
Kmart4life

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: November 08, 2011, 11:12:26 PM »

Not to mention that they have layaway all year long unlike walmart who brought it back for a limited time. We will do all of our christmas shopping again this year at Kmart and use the layawy program. Grin
EddieJ1984

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: November 09, 2011, 10:53:24 PM »

I like the Shop Your Way Rewards program too. I already have close to $20.00 in points!

I got Batman: Arkham City at kmart, and got a $30 gaming coupon off the next game I get, that's pretty sweet!
Kmart4life

View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: November 22, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »

1983 Kmart newspaper ad with Bartow Hwy. location listed at the bottom in very small print.
patk

View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: November 23, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »

By The Official Nathan's Famous Page
Have you seen a Nathan's restaurant inside K-Mart? We have just recently open 28 units inside K-Marts across the country. More to come next year.
 Shocked
TRJ_22487

View Profile Email
« Reply #1981 on: November 27, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »

1982 Hudson Valley Mall KIngston, NY from Flickr user richie 59

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:32:32 AM by TRJ_22487 » Logged
XDeSuEhTX

idesuehti xdesuehtx
View Profile Email
« Reply #1982 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:06 PM »

By The Official Nathan's Famous Page
Have you seen a Nathan's restaurant inside K-Mart? We have just recently open 28 units inside K-Marts across the country. More to come next year.
 Shocked

That's funny. I nearly every WV location I've been in, they've done away with the K-Cafe and Little Ceaser's, sadly.

"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"
XDeSuEhTX

idesuehti xdesuehtx
View Profile Email
« Reply #1983 on: December 08, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »

I was in Kmart today and not surprisingly, they no longer have a music CD section in electronics.

"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"
jason83080

View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: December 20, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »

The Sears Grand in Westlake, OH, is actually going to be reverted *back* to a Kmart store, after the failed 7-year "trial" of it being a Sears store. They're having a "remodeling sale" right now, with "certain departments" (read: the Sears stuff) being marked down, currently, to 20-40% off.

The signholders' posters don't tell you what's coming, but you see "look for your new KMART store" on the signs in the windows of Sears Grand. I'm excited to have a Kmart store again within a reasonable distance from my house, since it'll give me somewhere new to shop. Also, I should use this opportunity to buy stuff for NEXT Christmas, since I always seem to do pretty well in GOOB sales. Also, you can't return anything, because the store's not there anymore!

(I've always wondered if the old registers from its original Kmart days actually WORK, because, every time I've gone there, I've had to check out at the Service Desk. I don't think I've ever seen the actual register terminals being used.)

---

Also, the majority of the old Super Kmart building in the Cobblestone Square plaza in Sheffield Village, OH, is being occupied by something called "Bargain Warehouse," a very low-budget 'junk' store. There's never any heat on in the building, and they did very little to transform it into a new store. They're using the old Kmart registers, even leaving them in the original location. (They dead-end into the wall that was built inside, which separates it from the Litehouse that occupies a portion of the building and the adjoining Garden Center. Fun fact: The original Kmart "Welcome" stripes are still on the doors to what used to be the Garden Center.)
dmx10101

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1985 on: December 20, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »

If you can get pictures of either the Sears Grand or the former Super K, I'd love to feature them on KmartWorld.com. It must be pretty cool yo get to go into the old Super K and still be able to tell it was one.

The Sears Grand in Westlake, OH, is actually going to be reverted *back* to a Kmart store, after the failed 7-year "trial" of it being a Sears store. They're having a "remodeling sale" right now, with "certain departments" (read: the Sears stuff) being marked down, currently, to 20-40% off.

The signholders' posters don't tell you what's coming, but you see "look for your new KMART store" on the signs in the windows of Sears Grand. I'm excited to have a Kmart store again within a reasonable distance from my house, since it'll give me somewhere new to shop. Also, I should use this opportunity to buy stuff for NEXT Christmas, since I always seem to do pretty well in GOOB sales. Also, you can't return anything, because the store's not there anymore!

(I've always wondered if the old registers from its original Kmart days actually WORK, because, every time I've gone there, I've had to check out at the Service Desk. I don't think I've ever seen the actual register terminals being used.)

---

Also, the majority of the old Super Kmart building in the Cobblestone Square plaza in Sheffield Village, OH, is being occupied by something called "Bargain Warehouse," a very low-budget 'junk' store. There's never any heat on in the building, and they did very little to transform it into a new store. They're using the old Kmart registers, even leaving them in the original location. (They dead-end into the wall that was built inside, which separates it from the Litehouse that occupies a portion of the building and the adjoining Garden Center. Fun fact: The original Kmart "Welcome" stripes are still on the doors to what used to be the Garden Center.)

Kmart/Sears Forever
All things Kmart blog-
http://www.kmartworld.com
ShopKoFan

Knows ShopKo too well.

justinhill2k6@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1986 on: December 24, 2011, 03:27:38 AM »

The Kmart in Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia:

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:51:03 AM by ShopKoFan » Logged

ShopKo Forever!

Green Bay Packers Superbowl Champions
I - II -XXXI - XLV
jason83080

View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: December 26, 2011, 11:57:05 PM »

If you can get pictures of either the Sears Grand or the former Super K, I'd love to feature them on KmartWorld.com. It must be pretty cool yo get to go into the old Super K and still be able to tell it was one.

Depending on what the weather will do (we're supposed to get some snow), I'll try to get out tomorrow and take some pictures. The old Super K's definitely an experience, but I can't really get to the majority of the closed-off floor space without probably arousing some suspicion. All that Bargain Warehouse did was move some racks around and stock shelves. They're using the old jewelry counter for 'fine collectibles', and - this is the best part - the old Produce coolers in the front are used for merchandise.

They used to have a website, but I think it belonged to the previous owners. The 'new owners' only have a Facebook page, and all that you can see that would tell you "hey, this used to be a Kmart" is the front wall. This is a picture that I found online of the building:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EejcMrtdFjc/TrX2r3tlNvI/AAAAAAAAAKc/icArTk7hlw4/s1600/20111104170746.jpg

As for Sears Grand, I have no idea who thought of all-lowercase Arial-typefaced letters for the in-store wall signage for the various departments, but picture " home appliances" with the p's raised, white letters on a brown wall. It looks like something straight out of the '60s. The front facade is definitely unique to that location, being a part of a full remodel of the entire plaza back when it was a Kmart the first time. (That's also when it inherited the "Big Kmart" logo - up until then, it had the red-K/white-script-'mart' logo.)
ShopKoFan

Knows ShopKo too well.

justinhill2k6@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1988 on: December 27, 2011, 01:39:49 PM »

Australia's 1st Kmart/Kmart Foods, Burwood, Victoria, Australia, in 1969:

ShopKo Forever!

Green Bay Packers Superbowl Champions
I - II -XXXI - XLV
jason83080

View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: January 09, 2012, 07:24:23 PM »

As promised, albeit a while after the fact, here are some pictures of the Sears Grand in Westlake, OH, which will be turning back into a Kmart store in March of this coming year, according to picture #3...

^ The right-facing side of the building, where the Garden Shop will presumably be returning. Sears Grand used this sporadically, if at all. Inside is where their lawn & garden section was. There's a back walkway that connects the Garden Shop to the rest of the store that, I believe, was Employees Only at one point, but was opened up in one of the remodels. Behind that was the Auto Service center, which was opened up for additional sales space in the "Big Kmart" transformation. Toys and Sporting Goods were moved back there. Sears Grand has their fitness section there.

^ The front entrance. The style of the sign area matches the remainder of the plaza, and was constructed in a plaza-wide makeover while it was a Big Kmart. On some days, you can pick out where the holes were for the Big Kmart logo. Also, I'm 99% sure the "grand" here was white when it was first converted, but was redone in red early on. I have no proof, outside of wondering why it was suddenly red one day.

^ "Kmart, coming March 2012!" It was sunny, and I was trying to be sneaky with taking the picture. Basically, this is telling you that Kmart is coming back to the store.

^ "Home Improvement" logo on the back wall. Again, I ask: Who thought up THIS signage decision?

^ "Sears Grand" mounted on the wall above the windows. This entrance area is set out from the corner, where it comes in. I *so* want that lettering to hang on my wall, and I can't explain why. Also, notice the "Sears Grand" pearl-white register light covers. I wonder if Kmart will retain those. Also, notice that there are only 4 or 5 registers.

I would have gotten more, but I was trying not to get caught! I'll try my best to hit up Bargain Warehouse tomorrow to get pictures of the old Super Kmart there.
dmx10101

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1990 on: January 09, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »

Nice pics! It looks like the store was fairly good looking, compared to most Kmart's that haven't been remodeled in 20 years at least.

Kmart/Sears Forever
All things Kmart blog-
jason83080

View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: January 13, 2012, 10:58:51 PM »

Well, it was really cleaned up when it was transformed into a Sears Grand. Also, figure that there's been such little traffic over the past seven years, so there's been a LOT of time to keep things clean. Wink
retailisking
Expert Member

View retailisking's Album

View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: January 31, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »

One small wrinkle: Walgreens no longer accepts Express Scripts...
http://supermarketnews.com/latest-news/walgreens-acquires-kmart-prescriptions?cid=upd
jason83080

View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: February 05, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »

So, I visited the aforementioned Sears Grand from my previous post, and their clearance sale is up to 30-70% off, depending on what you're looking for. The remodeling into Kmart has begun, as there is a lot of new Kmart aisle-end signage that's been hung. Gone, sadly, is the oversized "Sears Grand" logo from above the windows that I wanted. Sad Oh, well. I did pick up a nice iLive radio/iPod dock for only $27 (marked down from $40 - a display unit), and it works GREAT!

I also visited Bargain Warehouse (the old Super Kmart in Cobblestone Square, Sheffield, OH) and got a bunch of pictures. They were getting ready to close. One thing to note: This store has NEVER had working heat, the entire time it's been open. It's on its third or fourth set of owners, since the hours have once again changed. Anyway, onto the pictures:

^ Here's what used to be the Deli department. Gone are the glass-front coolers. To the left is what used to be the Produce area, which is now home to various "novelty" items, clearanced at 80% off.

^ Just a sample of what "Bargain Warehouse" looks like. I think that white box on the pole with the black thing and the wires hanging out used to house Super K's computer servers. BWH doesn't need 'em!

^ Want some Beve-ages? The restrooms to the right of this have a sign on them that says that they do not work, and to use the ones at the front of the store. This area must have been the Deli/Snack Bar section.

^ A shot looking off into the rest of the store. You can see the overhanging "Blue-Light Special" awning, as well as the old Pharmacy on the left side. The Pharmacy, in detail, is coming up...

^ The Pharmacy, shot one of two. You can see down the back wall. I have NO idea what that giant hole is, but I think it goes to a back stockroom. Maybe someone ran into it with a forklift?

^ A better shot of the Pharmacy and the hole in the wall. You can also look down toward the old Kmart retail side. The area where the Garden Center would be is currently occupied by Litehouse Pools & Spas. The dividing wall is coming up.

^ Guess I'm not checking any prices today! Also, a closer look at the old Blue-Light Special Awning thing.

^ Wanna buy some balloons? $2.49 each at your American Greetings Card Shop!

^ A shot into the darkness of the rest of the store, showcasing some missing ceiling tiles. Also, I feel that I should remind readers that this store has NO HEAT.

^ The infamous "dividing wall" that, on the other side, features a very nice Litehouse Pools & Spas. Here, however, not so much. The poles at the right are Registers 3-8. Registers 9 and 10 were moved down by the second owners. The old "eyes in the sky" cameras are still there. I doubt they work. The lit area at the left used to be Customer Service when it was Super K.

^ And, to cap it off, a look into a FRACTION of the backstock that Bargain Warehouse has. My grandmother said that she could just imagine the rats running around back there. This is blocked off by a rolling shelf, so it'd be very easy to get back there. I'm not brave enough, though. The dividing wall is on the left.

That's "Bargain Warehouse" in a nutshell. I wonder... If Kmart offered the landlords money to retake their store and transform it back into a Kmart, do you think they'd kick this place out? Also, with that much CRAP to sell, how long do you think an actual "Going Out Of Business" sale would take?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:25:12 PM by jason83080 » Logged
dmx10101

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1994 on: February 05, 2012, 09:16:42 PM »

Awesome pics, that store sure is a disaster though. You can definitely tell it's a former Kmart.

Kmart/Sears Forever
All things Kmart blog-
jason83080

View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: February 05, 2012, 11:23:34 PM »

That hole in the wall (and, consequently, that "Procter & Gamble" panel on the floor) is definitely newer, because the last time I was in there, that panel was on the wall. I also don't remember the store ever looking THIS terrible. Still, with the lax security that seemed to be there (read: both employees were up at the registers), I could have probably snuck into the 'inventory' landfill and gotten some more pictures.

This time around, they've pretty much stopped using the jewelry counter (the blue "America's Value Jeweler" one that Kmarts used to have), but have repurposed two of the old "Blue-Light Special" tables for 'impulse buys' at the register. Hopefully, those poor people get some heat in that store soon. Who knows how cold it'd be in there if we'd been having an ACTUAL Winter season with temperatures in the 20's and lower?
Marc B
Sub-Administrators
Expert Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1996 on: February 09, 2012, 01:49:24 PM »

The KMART in Waterbury, CT seems to have been cleaned up a little bit. It seemed much nicer than the last time I was there. They have lots of nice furniture for sale. It doesn't so much business however. I didn't see too many customers in the store and there was only one register open. They didn't need any of the others open.

Marc Bramhall
Kmart4life

View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: February 10, 2012, 09:51:30 AM »

The Lakeland Fl. store just recieved an award for best customer service so the management must be doing something right. They are always real nice in that store and always want to help. Business is picking up a little bit because everytime I go in there they always have atleast 3 registers open and people shopping.
AmesNewington

View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: February 10, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »

I sure hope the Cromwell, CT store doesn't go anywhere. It is a perfect alternative to Walmart and Target. It is the best of both worlds. The store is very old, but it's kept up by management pretty well. It's neat, clean and organized as best as can be done with the age of the place. Corporate should remodel this store. It always has between 4-5 registers of the 8 they have open. Most of the employees are very friendly and helpful. They have good sales and the quality of their products are great. They must have done something right here because they are still open in a highly competitive area.
jason83080

View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: February 12, 2012, 05:42:50 PM »

Sears Grand now looks mostly like a Kmart, except for the still-rather-large "store closing" area at the front of the store. The wall shelving will have a faux-wood finish on the back, the department signs are red with white lettering (and a shadowed "K" for the larger department signs), and the store looks as though it's going to be CLEAN.

Some things I've noticed, from it being set up mid-remodel:
* Customer Service is now on the left side of the entrance when you walk in. Sears had it next to the registers a good distance away from the doors, and the last Kmart had it on the right side of the entrance. I think they're keeping the same counter from when it was Sears, but that could be because the new counter hasn't arrived yet. I know that two of the 'new' register counters are already installed, and they look like they were brought in from an old Kmart.
* HBA is along the front wall to the left of the entrance, behind where the ladies' clothing was when it was Sears and the last Kmart. I don't think this one will have a Pharmacy, but I think Cosmetics is also going to be over there.
* Layaway and the Restrooms look to be moved from where they were when it was the last Kmart.
* Furniture will have its own section in the center-back of the store.

I'll have to try to snap some pictures of the mid-remodel this week, before Sears closes. The new Kmart looks very promising!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 108
  Print  

Jump to: