Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki

Hi,
Haven't posted in years but still lurk and check things out every few months. Regarding former and current Kmarts in Connecticut. In 1995 I began a pilgrimage to visit every Kmart store in CT. Many I had already been to (thankfully the ones all ready closed by that time), didn't have internet so I used their 1-800 store locator number and a zip code book. Here's what I have to add:
Milford, CT is still open
Putnam, CT is still open according to Kmarts website but otherwise can not confirm it. It is the only current or former CT Kmart I never visited.

Other former CT Kmarts:
Wallingford had two Kmarts a regular and the aforementioned Super Kmart which were in business together for a short while. The regular Kmart closed about a year after the Super Kmart opened. They were only a mile apart on the same road and the former smaller Kmart is now a movie theater. Opened:? It was old and had some amazing architecture above the main entrance. It closed in the 1990s.
East Haven opened: ? closed sometime in the '90s currently a Home Depot I believe.
Ansonia, CT opened: ? (prior to 1980) closed: 1988 when the mall shut down and was demolished, moved to Derby, CT currently a Big Y supermarket occupies the site.
Derby, CT Opened: 1988 closed: early 2000s. Building demolished, a Lowes is there now.
Norwalk, CT opened: ? closed: in the 1980s was a Rickle Home center at one point and a Best Buy, have no idea if it's still a Best Buy or if the original building is still standing.
New Milford, CT opened: 1990s closed: ? in the last few years. Have no idea what it currently is.
Wethersfield, CT opened:? closed: sometime in the 1990s. Was a very small and old and outdated looking store. No idea what it is now.
Winsor or East Winsor had 2 different locations, a smaller older one that closed in the 1990s, no idea when it opened. After it closed it moved into a big new store a little further up I-91 that didn't stay open long. Believe it may now be a Target.

That's what I can remember, sorry it was a while ago. Wish I had pics.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The Kmart on Green Bay's east side will become U-Haul.

The Kmart in Green Bay on Lombardi Avenue Access Road was demolished last year with a bunch of other buildings to make way for Green Bay's new Titletown District project, similar to Gillette Stadium's Patriot Place.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-unveil-plans-for-titletown-district-next-to-lambeau-field-b99560708z1-322418821.html

scottw73

Quote from: Loki on August 20, 2015, 04:27:43 AM
Hi,
Haven't posted in years but still lurk and check things out every few months. Regarding former and current Kmarts in Connecticut. In 1995 I began a pilgrimage to visit every Kmart store in CT. Many I had already been to (thankfully the ones all ready closed by that time), didn't have internet so I used their 1-800 store locator number and a zip code book. Here's what I have to add:
Milford, CT is still open
Putnam, CT is still open according to Kmarts website but otherwise can not confirm it. It is the only current or former CT Kmart I never visited.

Other former CT Kmarts:
Wallingford had two Kmarts a regular and the aforementioned Super Kmart which were in business together for a short while. The regular Kmart closed about a year after the Super Kmart opened. They were only a mile apart on the same road and the former smaller Kmart is now a movie theater. Opened:? It was old and had some amazing architecture above the main entrance. It closed in the 1990s.
East Haven opened: ? closed sometime in the '90s currently a Home Depot I believe.
Ansonia, CT opened: ? (prior to 1980) closed: 1988 when the mall shut down and was demolished, moved to Derby, CT currently a Big Y supermarket occupies the site.
Derby, CT Opened: 1988 closed: early 2000s. Building demolished, a Lowes is there now.
Norwalk, CT opened: ? closed: in the 1980s was a Rickle Home center at one point and a Best Buy, have no idea if it's still a Best Buy or if the original building is still standing.
New Milford, CT opened: 1990s closed: ? in the last few years. Have no idea what it currently is.
Wethersfield, CT opened:? closed: sometime in the 1990s. Was a very small and old and outdated looking store. No idea what it is now.
Winsor or East Winsor had 2 different locations, a smaller older one that closed in the 1990s, no idea when it opened. After it closed it moved into a big new store a little further up I-91 that didn't stay open long. Believe it may now be a Target.

That's what I can remember, sorry it was a while ago. Wish I had pics.

New Millford is now a Home Depot and Norwalk is still Best Buy and TJ Maxx, the TJ Max still has the original Kmart facade

Hudsons81

Just drove by the old Southgate, MI Super Kmart on Saturday...and IT'S STILL VACANT, NEARLY A YEAR after it closed.

I just wonder how long it's just gonna sit there like that unless a new tenant or two moves in (and one of them better not be a dollar store similar to that now-defunct "Bargain Warehouse" that took over part of a former Super Kmart in Ohio)...

In better news...as of Saturday, the Oregon, OH Big Kmart is still in business.

BillyGr

So they went to the trouble to change the sign just to close the store?  Hmm... sounds like a Kmart thing to do!

Also noting that in the article it says the property is owned by Hannaford Brothers - do they have a store in the area?  If not, that might be the new tenant?

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on September 30, 2015, 10:00:12 PM
So they went to the trouble to change the sign just to close the store?  Hmm... sounds like a Kmart thing to do!

Also noting that in the article it says the property is owned by Hannaford Brothers - do they have a store in the area?  If not, that might be the new tenant?

Hannaford is just around the corner on Hannaford Drive.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on October 01, 2015, 11:38:18 AM

Funny they have their store and that empty plaza.  Maybe the plaza had a Shop'n Save supermarket at some point?

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on October 01, 2015, 05:55:32 PM
Quote from: retailisking on October 01, 2015, 11:38:18 AM
So they went to the trouble to change the sign just to close the store?  Hmm... sounds like a Kmart thing to do!

Also noting that in the article it says the property is owned by Hannaford Brothers - do they have a store in the area?  If not, that might be the new tenant?

Funny they have their store and that empty plaza.  Maybe the plaza had a Shop'n Save supermarket at some point?

My understanding is that Martin's Shop 'n Save was in the plaza along with Grants. Hannaford Bros. inherited the plaza when they bought out Martin's. This Kmart opened in 1975. Target, by the way, isn't interested, not that Hannaford would allow it anyway:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/money/2015/10/01/target--plans--vermont/73153328/

Zayre88

http://www.chartattack.com/news/2015/10/09/someone-just-uploaded-their-complete-collection-of-kmart-in-store-background-music/

Someone just uploaded their complete collection of Kmart in-store background music
A strange time capsule of 1989 - 1993 via discount department store ephemera.

Hudsons81

Quote from: Zayre88 on October 09, 2015, 07:47:49 PM
http://www.chartattack.com/news/2015/10/09/someone-just-uploaded-their-complete-collection-of-kmart-in-store-background-music/

Someone just uploaded their complete collection of Kmart in-store background music
A strange time capsule of 1989 - 1993 via discount department store ephemera.

Having made a number of visits to the original Southgate, Michigan Kmart (which was one of their original 1962 stores, now Dunham's Sports and Kroger) during that timeframe, I know a lot of those songs very well.

Hudsons81

It's been exactly a year since the Super Kmart in Southgate, Michigan closed. I just went by that area today-and it's still sitting empty, just empty. I hope it doesn't languish like that for another year.

BillyGr

Quote from: Zayre88 on October 14, 2015, 09:38:58 PM
KMartha? Martha Stewart Says She Regrets Not Buying Kmart

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/kmartha-martha-stewart-says-she-regrets-not-buying-kmart-n444286

Maybe it would have helped - after all she has done fairly well in selling her items over time.

Zayre88

Quote from: BillyGr on October 15, 2015, 04:15:56 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on October 14, 2015, 09:38:58 PM
KMartha? Martha Stewart Says She Regrets Not Buying Kmart

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/kmartha-martha-stewart-says-she-regrets-not-buying-kmart-n444286

Maybe it would have helped - after all she has done fairly well in selling her items over time.

Frankly I think Kmart would have been in a better position today.  Martha Stewart controlling the company would have been better than Lampert...   the merger with Sears is a disaster and the company is slowly going out of business...

ynkeesfn82

What exactly does KMART mean when they talk about "leasing"? The commercials mention "No money down lay-a-way or leasing." I understand what "lay-a-way" is, but have no clue about "leasing."  ??? ??? ???

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on October 24, 2015, 08:26:57 AM
What exactly does KMART mean when they talk about "leasing"? The commercials mention "No money down lay-a-way or leasing." I understand what "lay-a-way" is, but have no clue about "leasing."  ??? ??? ???

Perhaps a way that you still pay for it over a period of time but get to use it in the meantime?  Where a standard lay-a-way you don't get the item until the payments are finished?

intravino

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 01, 2015, 07:26:09 AM
Quote from: retailisking on September 30, 2015, 08:48:25 PM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on September 30, 2015, 05:09:47 PM
Quote from: retailisking on September 30, 2015, 02:59:54 PM
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2015/09/30/south-burlington-kmart-close/73091380/

Is that the store that still has the original logo?

It has a more contemporary logo now:

OK...when did the change occur?

They changed the sign in 2014.

Here's the old sign: http://carplugs.com/Kmart.jpg

It was one of my favorite Kmart of all time. It's the only one that was still open that I remember going in the 70's. I went there as a kid in 1979. Too bad  :'(

The worst is this location was making so much money.The lease from 1980 (35 years lease) was up in April 2015 and I guess Fast Eddie did not want to renew it.

I talked to several store managers of Kmarts and Sears over the years and they told me that if the South Burlington location was going to close, it's the end of Sears Holding Corporation.

Why does he want to close these profitable stores ?

The Sears on the other side of Lake Champlain is closing in 2016, the Kmart in Plattsburgh NY is now selling mattresses from Sears and they will sell more big Kenmore Appliances.

The Sears in South Burlington will also close in 2016. Those two closing are not announced yet but employees told me about this.

Is this the slow liquidation everyone is talking about?

Thanks,

Intravino

ynkeesfn82

Commercials state Blue Light Specials are back. Nothing says "failing retailer" like trying old tricks to bring in new customers.

store215

Quote from: Marc B on November 07, 2015, 01:40:09 PM
Commercials state Blue Light Specials are back. Nothing says "failing retailer" like trying old tricks to bring in new customers.

Here is their latest commercial touting it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTiLzJpLLy0 . I'm kind of surprised that Kmart is putting any money/effort into any kind of new promotion at this point..oh well at least they are trying.

Quote from: store215 on November 07, 2015, 11:44:20 PM

Here is their latest commercial touting it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTiLzJpLLy0 . I'm kind of surprised that Kmart is putting any money/effort into any kind of new promotion at this point..oh well at least they are trying.
Yes. They are trying to bring in new customers, while what they are really doing is digging their own grave (I'm pretty sure everyone agrees with me). In the last ten years, they have closed store after store after store. And they failed in other ways (the Kmart/Sears merger and the conversion of some Kmart stores to Sears Essentials/Sears Grand).

Ameskid

This is at least the second time they've been reintroduced - they tried it a few years ago with that obnoxious blue light bulb character in commercials. I didn't realize they had phased that out by now.

Let's see how it works THIS time. Oh boy...
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Maybe Kmart should start closing some more stores, while converting some to Sears. Yes, let's beat this dead horse. And maybe even sell some former Kmart stores in Lower Michigan, Indiana and Ohio to Shopko.

Ameskid

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 18, 2015, 07:23:29 PM
Maybe Kmart should start closing some more stores, while converting some to Sears. Yes, let's beat this dead horse. And maybe even sell some former Kmart stores in Lower Michigan, Indiana and Ohio to Shopko.
Maybe if they started serving pizza inside the stores, it would give shoppers extra incentive to go there...  ;)

Retail is circular after all.

busman_49

Quote from: Ameskid on November 19, 2015, 11:58:44 PM

Don't know if you meant it, but I caught the play on words  ;D

Quote from: busman_49 on November 20, 2015, 12:27:07 PM
Quote from: Ameskid on November 19, 2015, 11:58:44 PM

Don't know if you meant it, but I caught the play on words  ;D
Kmart tried that with Little Caesar's Pizza and Bradlees and Target tried that with Pizza Hut.

Some retailers do just fine without restaurants, take the regional chain Shopko/Shopko Hometown for example.

Ameskid

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 25, 2015, 11:59:03 PM
Kmart tried that with Little Caesar's Pizza
That was what I was going for...