Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudsons81

Can't report on empty shelves, but here, it appears that when the Super Kmart in Southgate closed, some of their plastic bags may presumably have been acquired by the Sears store in Lincoln Park.

AmesNewington

My family ordered through kmart.com during the holidays, and a few of our purchases ordered were shipped from an actual Kmart location. I suppose these items were not available at their warehouse and they contacted a store that had some back stock. I ordered shoes which came from Tewksbury, Mass, and my mom ordered toys for her business, and they had Kmart price stickers (from a pricing gun) on the packages, so it is obvious they were from the sales floor. I found that quite interesting. Nevertheless, everything we ordered from them came rather quickly, and we had no issues with anything. This was on top of shopping at the Cromwell, CT Kmart store. We'd miss them if they closed. You just have to have an open mind and a nostalgic mindset to shop with them. It's not always a bad thing. 

dmx10101

Quote from: AmesNewington on January 01, 2015, 10:12:19 AM
My family ordered through kmart.com during the holidays, and a few of our purchases ordered were shipped from an actual Kmart location. I suppose these items were not available at their warehouse and they contacted a store that had some back stock. I ordered shoes which came from Tewksbury, Mass, and my mom ordered toys for her business, and they had Kmart price stickers (from a pricing gun) on the packages, so it is obvious they were from the sales floor. I found that quite interesting. Nevertheless, everything we ordered from them came rather quickly, and we had no issues with anything. This was on top of shopping at the Cromwell, CT Kmart store. We'd miss them if they closed. You just have to have an open mind and a nostalgic mindset to shop with them. It's not always a bad thing. 

I ordered a Craftsman tool chest from the website and it was shipped from a Kmart store about 100 miles away from me.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

TRJ_22487

Here was the K-Mart in West Valley, Utah when it first opened in 1985. This location is still open today.
These photos were taken by the woman who was HR at the time.
This is what all K-Mart stores used to look like on the inside with wooden registers and black and orange dominating the color scheme with tan carts.

ynkeesfn82

No new tenants have been named yet, but it appears the former KMART in Torrington, Connecticut will be divided into 3 store fronts.

Kmart space seeking tenants

BY ALEC JOHNSON REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:05 AM EST

TORRINGTON â€" There are no immediate plans to fill the space formerly occupied by Kmart on Main Street, but the building's owner is actively seeking tenants to replace the anchor retail store that closed in December.

Bernard H. Healy Jr., an owner of the building under the name Conn Torr, a business registered in Connecticut to a Massachusetts company named Healy Enterprises, said he has had some interest in the building, but nothing has been finalized.

"We will probably end up splitting it between three different tenants," he said. "I am hoping to get it done by spring."

City Planner Martin J. Connor said a marketing study is likely for the best future use of the building. He said no plans for a change of use have been filed with the city.

Kmart vacated a large portion the 165,290-square-foot building last month as the company reduced the number of retail stores nationwide. The building also includes Price Rite, Town Fair Tire, a Hallmark store, a dental office, Connecticut Job Center and Planet Fitness. Built in 1980, city records show the building and 19-acre property is assessed at $5.9 million contributing about $215,000 in annual tax revenue.

According to Tax Collector Robert T. Crovo's online records, the first installment of taxes was paid on time in July and the balance of $107,726 is due by the end of the month.

Kmart Corp. paid the city $9,048 in personal property tax last year, but tax records show the company is owed a refund of $4,703 as it paid twice as much as was owed for the year on Oct. 17.

Mayor Elinor C. Carbone said the city has had three meetings with principals of Conn Torr since Kmart announced it was closing. She said the company inquired about the city's direction and they were "delighted to hear the courthouse was coming." Carbone said the addition of the courthouse on Field Street would bring more people to that area of the city on a daily basis.

"We did talk about ideas for potential retail and the city would like to see more diverse retail," Carbone said. "They also recognize that a mixed use is probably the biggest bang for their buck in developing a property. We are hoping we can provide them with enough information to allow them to explore all those opportunities."

Carbone said the city has also floated the idea of using land behind the plaza to connect a trail from the North End to the new courthouse complex and developing other green or park space in the area if plans allow.

"They certainly were listening to everything we were asking," she said. "I am anxious to see what they are able to do and the city is certainly willing to be as helpful as we can to keep them interested."

Caldor1999

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on January 02, 2015, 05:41:55 AM
Here was the K-Mart in West Valley, Utah when it first opened in 1985. This location is still open today.
These photos were taken by the woman who was HR at the time.
This is what all K-Mart stores used to look like on the inside with wooden registers and black and orange dominating the color scheme with tan carts.

This was outdated even for 1985
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Ameskid

As it turns out, there is one Kmart still left around me...it's located in Dixie Heights, KY.  I stopped in there and checked it out today.

Despite being branded as a Big Kmart, it doesn't appear to have ever had a Little Caesar's or anything besides a garden center/auto shop - probably because it's from some time in the mid-70s.  Interestingly, there is a former Kmart Foods storefront right next to it (now repurposed as a furniture store and, sadly, heavily remodeled on the inside) - it's the first I've seen around the area.  No pictures today, but I will have them later in the week.

In addition, there is news as to the fate of the former Gold Circle/Hills/Kmart storefront in Anderson Towne Center - the township is expected to approve plans that call for its partial demolition, and construction of a theater on whatever remains of the building. 
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

HannafordHearts

Nearly all of the Kmarts in the Capital Region of New York (where I live) have closed, including my local one... I can name off all of the stores that have closed and what's become of them now.

Amsterdam Super Kmart: Closed in 2000, demolished in 2007-08 for Target and Kohl's.
Colonie Kmart: Closed December 2013, demolished for a future CarMax dealership.
Clifton Park Kmart: Closed May 2014, now vacant.
East Greenbush Big Kmart: Closed June 2014, now vacant.
Glenmont Big Kmart: Closed March 2009, split between Planet Fitness and Tractor Supply Co.
Glenville Big Kmart: Closed early 2006, demolished for a Target that opened in 2012.
Latham Big Kmart: Closed May 2014, now vacant.
Rotterdam Kmart (old location, Curry Road): Closed 1989 to relocate to the Rotterdam Square Mall. May be still vacant and deteriorating with the rest of the shopping center, but I am not sure if it has been demolished or not. The newer location is still operating.
Saratoga Springs Big Kmart: This store was supposed to open as a Super Kmart, but was built as a Big Kmart instead. Closed June 2002. The whole store except the garden center portion was demolished in 2007 for a Kohl's. The garden center portion later became Tractor Supply Co.

This left three Kmarts in the Capital Region:
Rotterdam, NY
Greenwich, NY
Queensbury, NY (this store was a Super Kmart, but was converted to a regular store in 2013)

BillyGr

Quote from: HannafordHearts on January 23, 2015, 02:19:20 PM
Nearly all of the Kmarts in the Capital Region of New York (where I live) have closed, including my local one... I can name off all of the stores that have closed and what's become of them now.
Glenmont Big Kmart: Closed March 2009, split between Planet Fitness and Tractor Supply Co.
Rotterdam Kmart (old location, Curry Road): Closed 1989 to relocate to the Rotterdam Square Mall. May be still vacant and deteriorating with the rest of the shopping center, but I am not sure if it has been demolished or not. The newer location is still operating.

Quick note  part of the Glenmont store was demolished, that is where today Tractor Supply has an outdoor area fenced in (at the end of the building next to the fire company).  Also I think a part of the fitness building was another small store next to Kmart.

Rotterdam - I believe there was an article that they are looking to demolish that whole area and build there - apartments I think was the main thing.

Saratoga - Wasn't there also an older location over on 50 south of the city?  I think that was one that Ames took over for a while - http://www.amesfanclub.com/getstore.php?ID=380 - This spot?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Kmart locations left in Green Bay, Wisconsin: none.

* Kmart - Green Bay West (next to Lambeau Field) - closed Summer 2014 - demolished Winter 2014, land now owned by the Green Bay Packers. Part of Green Bay's Stadium District, currently an empty lot.
* Kmart - Green Bay East (near East Town Mall) - closed 2007 - vacant, attached to a former Kohl's Supermarket that has become a Rogan's Shoes Superdome since the 1990s, building currently still vacant.

The closest Kmart still operating near me is located in Menominee, Michigan (across the river from Marinette, Wisconsin. The Shawano, Wisconsin location in Shawano Plaza has closed recently and the locations in Appleton and Manitowoc are long gone.)

ynkeesfn82

Former Locations in Connecticut:

Bristol, Connecticut: Year Opened: 1999 (in former Caldor). Year Closed: 2003. Now Price Chopper since January 2004.

Southington, Connecticut: Year Opened: 1973. Year Closed: 2003. Now Price Chopper since January 2004. (PC is struggling)

Plainville, Connecticut: Year Opened: Late 1990s. Year Closed: 2004 or 2005. Subdivided into Dicks, Petsmart, and DSW (though I think part of DSW includes an addition onto the building).

Wallingford, Connecticut: Year opened: Unknown. Year Closed: Unknown. Now Walmart SuperCenter.

New Haven, Connecticut: Year opened: 1997. Year Closed: Unknown. I think it's a Walmart SuperCenter now.

Waterbury, Connecticut: Year opened: 1973. Year Closed: 2013. Still Vacant.

Torrington, Connecticut: Year opened: Unknown. Year Closed 2014. (December). Obviously still vacant.

Machester, Connecticut: Year Opened: Unknown. Year Closed: Unknown. Finally demolished. Property bought by Walmart I think.

Note: There are other former KMART's in Connecticut. Just not sure where.

Still Open in Connecticut:

Watertown
Southbury
Cromwell
Vernon

Don't know if there are other still open.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on January 28, 2015, 05:48:13 PM
Former Locations in Connecticut:

Bristol, Connecticut: Year Opened: 1999 (in former Caldor). Year Closed: 2003. Now Price Chopper since January 2004.

Southington, Connecticut: Year Opened: 1973. Year Closed: 2003. Now Price Chopper since January 2004. (PC is struggling)

Plainville, Connecticut: Year Opened: Late 1990s. Year Closed: 2004 or 2005. Subdivided into Dicks, Petsmart, and DSW (though I think part of DSW includes an addition onto the building).

Wallingford, Connecticut: Year opened: Unknown. Year Closed: Unknown. Now Walmart SuperCenter.

New Haven, Connecticut: Year opened: 1997. Year Closed: Unknown. I think it's a Walmart SuperCenter now.

Waterbury, Connecticut: Year opened: 1973. Year Closed: 2013. Still Vacant.

Torrington, Connecticut: Year opened: Unknown. Year Closed 2014. (December). Obviously still vacant.

Machester, Connecticut: Year Opened: Unknown. Year Closed: Unknown. Finally demolished. Property bought by Walmart I think.

Note: There are other former KMART's in Connecticut. Just not sure where.

Still Open in Connecticut:

Watertown
Southbury
Cromwell
Vernon

Don't know if there are other still open.

The Plainville, CT location opened in 1999 and closed in the spring of 2003. There is also a Kmart currently in Milford and Putnam, CT (a newer one converted from Sears Essentials). There are only 7 Kmart locations left in the state. Milford has both a Kmart AND Sears store. Waterbury did as well until 2013. Where I live, I still have several Sears options. In town (Newington), we have a Sears Outlet store, we have a Sears store nearby in West Hartford, and a Kmart store in Cromwell. We prefer Kmart in Cromwell.

Marc, have you heard anything on the future of the Southington Price Chopper or PC as a whole in CT?  

scottw73

Here are some other former locations

Orange - Bull Hill Lane: Opened: ??? Closed: ??? Sits in a shopping plaza next to Kohls (Former Bradlees)

Norwalk - East Avenue: Opened 197? Closed: 198?: Space is divided into TJ Maxx and Best Buy. Best Buy was a former Rickel home center, can still see evidence of Kmart

Derby - New Haven Avenue (Orange Derby Shopping Center) Opened: 19?? Closed: 200? Space was former Zayre and then Reads Department Store, Shopping center also housed a forrmer Klarides food store. Center was demolished for Lowes.

New Milford - Route 7: Opened 199? Closed 2000: Space became Home Depot after closure.

Hudsons81

Remaining Kmart locations in Downriver Detroit: 1.

• Taylor North Super (Van Born Road): opened 1964, converted into Super Kmart early 1999.

Former locations:

• Flat Rock: opened 1979, closed 2003. Still vacant along with the shopping center it anchors.
  • Lincoln Park Super: opened 1994, closed 2003. Currently Meijer since November 2004.
  • Melvindale: opened 19??, closed 1980's. Currently a megachurch since about 2006. Was briefly a temporary Saint Vincent de Paul thrift store around 1995 after a SVdP store in Detroit caught fire.
  • Southgate original location: opened 1962, closed 1994. Currently Dunham's since August 2004 (previously Office Depot). Had attached Kmart Foods, which is currently Kroger since 2000 (though I think Kroger expanded into parts of the former Kmart space itself when it opened)
  • Southgate Super: opened November 18, 1998; closed October 12, 2014. Still vacant.
  • Taylor South (Telegraph and Goddard): opened 1971, closed 2003. Currently Home Depot since 2006.
  • Woodhaven: opened March 11, 1971; closed January 23, 2013. Still vacant.

danfifepsu

where will Kmart be in 2018? or what will be of it? some areas lost 80 to 90 percent of them when they had many why? they've also closed a lot of them in Wisconsin.

danfifepsu

how come this winter there hasnt been many Kmarts closing right and left, have they run out of ones to close? They are nearing below 1000 stores, surprised? ALso if a Kmart closes at 6 or 7 pm on Sundays but the rest of the week close at 9 pm does that mean its in danger of closing?

BillyGr

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 04, 2015, 03:33:27 PM
how come this winter there hasnt been many Kmarts closing right and left, have they run out of ones to close? They are nearing below 1000 stores, surprised? ALso if a Kmart closes at 6 or 7 pm on Sundays but the rest of the week close at 9 pm does that mean its in danger of closing?

Maybe no leases expiring (as that seemed to be the main reason for closing)? 

You might think that stores wouldn't be as likely to open new locations just after the holiday season, and thus (since leases usually are an even year, not 10 months or such) they wouldn't have any to close at the beginning of the year, either.

jason83080

Of the locations that I've been near/live around...

* Sheffield Village, Ohio - Formerly "Bargain Warehouse" a.k.a. "The Junk Store"/"that place with no heat or water", it FINALLY closed and was quickly snatched up by a company called "At Home," which is home furnishings and more. Think "HomeGoods," but with a cooler looking building. The old Super K triangle over the entrance was removed, as were the front doors. I don't know when it will open, but the signage is already on the plaza signs at the street and facing the freeway. (Ironically, the junk store's sign is still there - it's smaller and is on one of the bottom panels that was split into 6 separate signs.)

* Amherst, Ohio - Still kicking. It's down there with THE Quiznos Subs location and (presumably, unless it's closing, too) THE RadioShack location.

* Westlake, Ohio - Still vacant, since April 2014. The lights do still come on at night. It's eerie to look inside and see what once was.

* Brooklyn, Ohio - Signage facing I-480 (behind the store) is whited out. Costco bought the land. I'm not sure if construction has progressed or not. I just saw it from the interstate the other day.

* Elyria, Ohio/Midway Mall - Was subdivided into three stores years ago - Family Christian, Bed Bath & Beyond, Marc's - and all stores are still alive and kicking.

buzz86us

Quote from: jason83080 on February 11, 2015, 01:13:57 AM
Of the locations that I've been near/live around...

* Sheffield Village, Ohio - Formerly "Bargain Warehouse" a.k.a. "The Junk Store"/"that place with no heat or water", it FINALLY closed and was quickly snatched up by a company called "At Home," which is home furnishings and more. Think "HomeGoods," but with a cooler looking building. The old Super K triangle over the entrance was removed, as were the front doors. I don't know when it will open, but the signage is already on the plaza signs at the street and facing the freeway. (Ironically, the junk store's sign is still there - it's smaller and is on one of the bottom panels that was split into 6 separate signs.)

* Amherst, Ohio - Still kicking. It's down there with THE Quiznos Subs location and (presumably, unless it's closing, too) THE RadioShack location.

* Westlake, Ohio - Still vacant, since April 2014. The lights do still come on at night. It's eerie to look inside and see what once was.

* Brooklyn, Ohio - Signage facing I-480 (behind the store) is whited out. Costco bought the land. I'm not sure if construction has progressed or not. I just saw it from the interstate the other day.

* Elyria, Ohio/Midway Mall - Was subdivided into three stores years ago - Family Christian, Bed Bath & Beyond, Marc's - and all stores are still alive and kicking.
I am surprised the Fremont Ohio location is still standing that store is almost always devoid of customers...

buzz86us

Amsterdam Super Kmart: Closed in 2000, demolished in 2007-08 for Target and Kohl's.
Glenville Big Kmart: Closed early 2006, demolished for a Target that opened in 2012.
Saratoga Springs Big Kmart: This store was supposed to open as a Super Kmart, but was built as a Big Kmart instead. Closed June 2002. The whole store except the garden center portion was demolished in 2007 for a Kohl's. The garden center portion later became Tractor Supply Co.

Rotterdam, NY
Greenwich, NY
Queensbury, NY (this store was a Super Kmart, but was converted to a regular store in 2013)
Amsterdam K-Mart initially opened in the spot where big lots and the movie theater is
Troy K-Mart is still standing looks like it was a Super Center that was changed into a regular K-Mart to make way for Vent Fitness... I am guessing Sears Holdings still owns this one and their collecting money from the lease. Vent Fitness is looking for another location since the building has asbestos

BillyGr

Quote from: buzz86us on February 11, 2015, 03:57:06 PM
Troy K-Mart is still standing looks like it was a Super Center that was changed into a regular K-Mart to make way for Vent Fitness... I am guessing Sears Holdings still owns this one and their collecting money from the lease. Vent Fitness is looking for another location since the building has asbestos

I don't know of a Troy Kmart - did you mean the Latham store (On Route 2 between Latham and Watervliet)?

If so, that wasn't a Super Kmart, just a regular one with a supermarket alongside.  They never got Super stores in the Albany area (only Amsterdam/Queensbury and Kingston around it), though there was noted somewhere that they had planned one in Glenmont (where the Walmart now exists).
I think the grocery may have been Albany Public originally, or maybe not, but was eventually Grand Union (as they bought out Albany Public) which they closed when they built their new store on the other side of Route 2 (which is now a church, behind the Pizza Hut building, you can still see some of the glass front from the GU at the end of the building farthest from Route 2).

That setup was quite common in the area - the now demolished Albany store had a Price Chopper next to it, as did the empty East Greenbush one (that part is now Big Lots), and the former Glenville location was a combo also (that one was completely replaced with Target).

danfifepsu

Kmart has 977 stores left now, when it had 2114 stores when filing for bankruptcy, whats the deal?

HannafordHearts

Quote from: buzz86us on February 11, 2015, 03:57:06 PM

Rotterdam, NY
Greenwich, NY
Amsterdam K-Mart initially opened in the spot where big lots and the movie theater is

As Billy said, it wasn't a supercenter, just a regular Kmart. As for Vent Fitness, is that so? I did not know that they were looking for a new space. The only one I can really think of is the Sports Authority that closed, (if it's still vacant even) or maybe it can go in the current Walmart when it moves to the old mall site.

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 11, 2015, 06:30:05 PM
Kmart has 977 stores left now, when it had 2114 stores when filing for bankruptcy, whats the deal?

I think everyone here knows what the deal is; Kmart isn't doing well. It's slowly dying, and failing to stay relevant in the current market. I predict in the next decade or so, Kmart won't even exist anymore, and will only remain a memory of a once-viable chain that couldn't keep up in a world of Walmart and Target.

retailisking

Kmart continues to downsize the Super Kmart format with its conversion of a number of full grocery departments in what they're calling K-Fresh (gee, that's original thinking...)
http://www.chillicothegazette.com/story/news/local/2015/02/16/kmart-rebranding-chillicothe-ohio/23507299/

Ameskid

Moving crews unload merchandise from other Kmart stores at the new location in Florence, KY, in 1992. The location is now an Ashley Furniture HomeStore. Pictures courtesy of the Kenton County Public Library.

1983 photo of the Kmart in Maysville, KY. Apparently this is one of the few surviving stores in the area...but for how long?

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on February 16, 2015, 06:39:38 PM
Kmart continues to downsize the Super Kmart format with its conversion of a number of full grocery departments in what they're calling K-Fresh (gee, that's original thinking...)
http://www.chillicothegazette.com/story/news/local/2015/02/16/kmart-rebranding-chillicothe-ohio/23507299/

what went wrong with Supercenters? why have they really downsized i n Illinios?  and Wisconsin and Florida.

katnapped

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 04, 2015, 03:33:27 PM
how come this winter there hasnt been many Kmarts closing right and left

They're doing them piecemeal, a little at a time.  I don't think shorter hours guarantee a store will close but the preceived lack of business requiring cuts in store hours is concerning.

Lately we know that O'Fallon, MO; Frackville and Lancaster, PA are three locations that will close sometime this year and there's around 10 more that are gone from the store locator but no announcement has yet been made concerning their fate.

Hudsons81

A former Super Kmart in Lincoln Park, Michigan that was repurposed into a Meijer store (photos courtesy of the Dead and Dying Retail Facebook page):

Interior photos can be found on the Meijer thread.

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 18, 2015, 11:27:29 AM
what went wrong with Supercenters? why have they really downsized i n Wisconsin and Florida.

There were never any Super Kmarts in Wisconsin or Florida. However, Kmart did come close to opening one (and planning another) in Milwaukee and another somewhere in either the Miami or Orlando suburbs when they declared bankruptcy.

danfifepsu

Of Kmart in the Albany area, why is the one in Rotterdam the only one left?

BillyGr

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 24, 2015, 01:26:18 PM
Of Kmart in the Albany area, why is the one in Rotterdam the only one left?

Because something has to keep the mall going? ;)