Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kmart4life

Kmart4life

JimSawhill

Kmart4life

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Super Kmart in Mexico

A former Super Kmart in San Mateo, Mexico (a suburb of Mexico City) (Now a MEGA hypermarket)

The store has been renovated since this photo has been taken.

A former Super Kmart in Cuautitlán Izcalli, Mexico (another suburb of Mexico City) (Also now a MEGA hypermarket)

Exterior:

Interior:

You can read more about Super Kmart stores in Mexico at this blog:
http://www.deadanddyingretail.com/2012/03/former-super-kmart-stores-in-mexico.html

Kmart Australia

Kmart Australia "Plan C" Concept Store

Two-level Kmart Store at Rundle Mall, Adelaide, South Australia (former Toys "R" Us)

Australian Toys "R" Us store announces store closing, October 2011:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/our-toy-story-signals-battle-in-citys-mall/story-fn6bqphm-1226173574706

Kmart Australia unveils new store, November 2012:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/kmart-unveils-two-level-store-in-rundle-mall/story-fndo471r-1226521531948

YouTube video about the new Kmart (Australia) store:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or9aQANR7M4

JimSawhill

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 15, 2013, 10:55:18 PM
Super Kmart in Mexico

A former Super Kmart in San Mateo, Mexico (a suburb of Mexico City) (Now a MEGA hypermarket)

A former Super Kmart in Cuautitlán Izcalli, Mexico (another suburb of Mexico City) (Also now a MEGA hypermarket)

Exterior:

Interior:

http://www.deadanddyingretail.com/2012/03/former-super-kmart-stores-in-mexico.html

Any K Marts in Mexico still??

Kmart4life

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 16, 2013, 12:54:14 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 15, 2013, 10:55:18 PM
Super Kmart in Mexico

Exterior:

Interior:

Any K Marts in Mexico still??

Kmart sold all four of their their Mexican Super Kmart stores to the MEGA hypermarket chain in 1997, so it is very unlikely that there are any stores left.

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 16, 2013, 02:13:24 AM
Kmart Australia

Kmart Australia "Plan C" Concept Store

The  American K-Mart chain should try opening new store with this style!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

shore72

It would be a recipe for success-looks like they are out'targeting' Target.

Quote from: shore72 on April 17, 2013, 10:42:50 PM
It would be a recipe for success-looks like they are out'targeting' Target.

I think the Sears Holdings executives should do what Standard Oil, AT&T, and RJR Nabisco did, start a divestiture of all their assets (Sears, Kmart, etc.). While selling off everything else, Sears Holdings should sell Kmart USA to Wesfarmers Ltd. (current owner of both Kmart and Target in Australia and New Zealand) and other companies, and have the executives at Wesfarmers Ltd. fix Kmart USA's damaged reputation as a discount store.

Here's a list of things that Wesfarmers Ltd. could do to fix the U.S. Kmart stores:

*Invest in computer technology (for cash registers and supply chain logistics) and better light fixtures,
*Invest in upscale renovations for most of Kmart's stores, while relocating the smaller, dilapidated Kmart stores to larger locations (in both regular Kmart, and Super Kmart variants depending on where the location is being built)
*Adopt Kmart Australia's logo as America's own Kmart logo. Pepsi is going the "Throwback" route. Nostalgia sells products and services in some cases.
*Offer a Kmart Auto Service similar to the Kmart Tyre & Auto at the Australian Kmart stores.
*Give Kmart the gift of food, which Sears Holdings failed to do in recent years.
*Reintroduce the Kcafe and Kmart Rx pharmacy as well as introduce an Optical center.
**Open more multi-level urban Kmart store locations outside New York City and Philadelphia, in other major cities, like Milwaukee, Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles, and San Diego, for example. These locations contain edited assortments of merchandise for Kmart customers living in the city, mostly clothing, cookware, sporting goods, office supplies, books, toys, and electronics.

**--Opening more urban locations is something that Kmart's new owners don't have to do right away. They can rehabilitate and relocate the existing Kmart locations for the time being, as well as introduce the 1991 K mart logo that is currently in use in Australia and New Zealand.

shore72

We were in the Salisbury, MD store today. Surprised to see a new front facade taking shape as well as some parking lot improvements. My wife got a really good deal on some winter blouses, marked down to $2.99.

buzz86us

I wish they'd do the rehab that was done in New Zealand to the store in Manhattan with the Penn Station entrance it is odd seeing an antiquated store like that right in the middle of Manhattan... It does however kind of make me feel at home. Going to K-Mart makes me feel like I have time traveled into the 1980's

zonemad96

Quote from: shore72 on April 20, 2013, 10:23:38 PM
We were in the Salisbury, MD store today. Surprised to see a new front facade taking shape as well as some parking lot improvements. My wife got a really good deal on some winter blouses, marked down to $2.99.

Sir are you drunk or high? I can't believe it kmart putting money into one of their stores? Thats a good sign, small but good. Now if they would only do that to about 500 other locations that would be a huge sign.

retailisking

Keep in mind, folks, that the Kmart in AU/NZ are related to the US Kmart in name only.

MikeRa

Quote from: buzz86us on April 21, 2013, 07:59:16 AM
I wish they'd do the rehab that was done in New Zealand to the store in Manhattan with the Penn Station entrance it is odd seeing an antiquated store like that right in the middle of Manhattan... It does however kind of make me feel at home. Going to K-Mart makes me feel like I have time traveled into the 1980's
the Penn Station store does have te current "Kmart" singage.  I only wish the Kmart location at 10th & Market Street (Philadelphia, PA) and Roosevelt Boulevard, Below Cotytman avenue (Philadelphia, PA) receive the current logo, instead of keeping the "Big Kmart" signage.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Quote from: retailisking on April 24, 2013, 12:58:06 AM
Keep in mind, folks, that the Kmart in AU/NZ are related to the US Kmart in name only.
They were 51% owned by S.S. Kresge Co./Kmart USA and 49% owned by G.J. Coles & Coy/Coles Myer from their founding in 1969 until 1994 when Coles Myer bought back the shares held by Kmart USA.

d_fife

of KMART, I didnt see the one in PORTSMOUTH NH ON THE STORE LOCATOR WHY? its as of Today.

if its closing I am not surprised all the store was was bare parking lots.

Zayre88

Quote from: d_fife on May 01, 2013, 07:34:53 AM
of KMART, I didnt see the one in PORTSMOUTH NH ON THE STORE LOCATOR WHY? its as of Today.

That's strange... If it's closing I agree that it will not be a surprise.  Parking lot was always nearly empty.  Usually 12 to 20 cars or so...

We all know what will happen, Market Basket will do like they did in Londonderry and in Nashua(Sears Essentials), they will move into the larger vacant Kmart space!

d_fife

I speculate that too. How often was the parking lot empty? when ever I went there parking lot had like no more than 10 cars.

will Rochester's close?

Quote from: Zayre88 on May 01, 2013, 06:43:57 PM

That's strange... If it's closing I agree that it will not be a surprise.  Parking lot was always nearly empty.  Usually 12 to 20 cars or so...

We all know what will happen, Market Basket will do like they did in Londonderry and in Nashua(Sears Essentials), they will move into the larger vacant Kmart space!

retailisking

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 27, 2013, 11:31:32 PM
Quote from: retailisking on April 24, 2013, 12:58:06 AM
They were 51% owned by S.S. Kresge Co./Kmart USA and 49% owned by G.J. Coles & Coy/Coles Myer from their founding in 1969 until 1994 when Coles Myer bought back the shares held by Kmart USA.

You're absolutely right, of course; I was talking about the current ownership structure.

Zayre88

In this article, the store appear to be open:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130502-NEWS-130509926

d_fife

Quote from: Zayre88 on May 03, 2013, 07:40:53 PM

yah but first they have to have closing SALES THEN CLOSE. thats how it works. it closing was not in the paper.

My prediction for Kmart and Sears store closings in cities and towns that have both Kmart and Sears, is if Kmart does better than Sears, then it will be Sears that closes, but if it were Kmart that fails, then it would be possible that Sears stays open, and that Kmart closes.

Zayre88

Quote from: d_fife on May 03, 2013, 07:47:53 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on May 03, 2013, 07:40:53 PM

yah but first they have to have closing SALES THEN CLOSE. thats how it works. it closing was not in the paper.

I know, I don't understand why the store is off the Locator (like it was closed) but nowhere they will talk about a closing sale or a closing announcement.

d_fife

its also off the store real estate listings on the SEars holding real estate!

when stores are announced theyll close they get taken off the list. I called the store manager she admitted it and didnt give them a reason why of closing. MAYBE They are renegotiating the leasE?

retailisking

With the Portsmouth store being 35 years old (and look at how many 35-year-old Kmarts have closed recently) this has a feeling of inevitability to it.