Quote from: Zayre88 on February 03, 2013, 08:57:06 PM
Anyone knows what K-Dollar is?

Apparently Kmart launched this concept recently at these locations:

Bloomfield Hills, MI
Albuquerque, NM
Pembroke Pines, FL
Hollywood, FL
Waukegan, IL

My guess is that Kmart days as a full-line national discount chain are numbered.  Kmart is higher priced than Walmart and less attractive than Target.  Soon Kohl's will have more stores than Kmart!

They might try to transform the Kmart chain into some type of large-size discount-dollar-clearance-closeout store...

http://www.freep.com/article/20130203/FEATURES13/302030004/Can-Kmart-s-KDollar-compete-in-metro-Detroit-discount-shopping-mecca-?odyssey=nav%7Chead

https://www.kmart.com/community/questions/kdollar-information-and-locations-check-it-out-to-see-if-one-is-near-you/
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

retailisking

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on April 05, 2013, 02:50:34 PM
What exactly does that mean?
Eddie Lampert's business plan is to turn the real estate at Kmart/Sears into cash, so any lease renewal has to be seen in that light.

ynkeesfn82

Someone I know who is usually right about things says KMART on Wolcott Street in Waterbury will close by The End of 2013. With both KMART and Walmart closing (plus the possibility of Stop & Shop too) Wolcott Street will become a ghost-town. Walmart of course is moving to the Waterbury-Cheshire line near the Kohl's, Costco, and Co-Co Keys Indoor water park. Sam's Club or Lowe's can jump into the Walmart, but what can go into the KMART?

retailisking

Have you guys noticed a trend towards Kmart reverting their Big Kmart stores to simply Kmart? I saw one example of this at the Auburn, ME Kmart the other day.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on April 05, 2013, 07:51:08 PM
Someone I know who is usually right about things says KMART on Wolcott Street in Waterbury will close by The End of 2013. With both KMART and Walmart closing (plus the possibility of Stop & Shop too) Wolcott Street will become a ghost-town. Walmart of course is moving to the Waterbury-Cheshire line near the Kohl's, Costco, and Co-Co Keys Indoor water park. Sam's Club or Lowe's can jump into the Walmart, but what can go into the KMART?

I hope the Cromwell store stays put for the moment.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Does anybody have any photos of the Cromwell, CT Kmart Store? I would certainly like to see what it looks like on the outside at the front of the building/store.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: retailisking on April 05, 2013, 07:59:19 PM
Have you guys noticed a trend towards Kmart reverting their Big Kmart stores to simply Kmart? I saw one example of this at the Auburn, ME Kmart the other day.
Since almost every Big Kmart Store in the NE part of the state that I live in was painted the new orange/brown colors on the outside in the mid 2000's, I hardly doubt they will convert them to simply Kmart Stores in the near future. If they did, it would require a whole new paint job that would be like wasting all of the money that they used to paint them the orange/brown colors to begin with, but at the same time I am sure that they would do it after the orange/brown exterior begins to fade and wear off. There is however one Big Kmart Store in my area that still has it original 1990's red and blue Big Kmart Store conversion. This is the only store that I see them converting to simply Kmart in the near future. At the same time, it would be nice to see them do this new Red Kmart 21st Century conversion to all of their stores nationwide. as you have stated they have started to do retailisking with some of their stores in your post that I have quoted on.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on April 05, 2013, 07:59:19 PM

I have seen this in Rochester NH, apparently the move happened when the Lilac Mall renovated their exterior.  The Kmart style canopy was redone and the Big Kmart logo replaced with the new "kmart" one.

Portsmouth NH still has the BigK and I think that Waterville and Augusta in Maine have the old BigK logo too.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 05, 2013, 08:36:38 PM

I don't see Cromwell closing unless they decide to close all of the remaining stores. It's much busier and nicer than the one in Waterbury.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on April 06, 2013, 08:13:23 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on April 05, 2013, 08:36:38 PM

I don't see Cromwell closing unless they decide to close all of the remaining stores. It's much busier and nicer than the one in Waterbury.

yeah i dont see Cromwell closing either unless the whole company goes belly up.

Cromwell has be their since the 1970's, it aint going anywhere anytime soon.

TRJ_22487

I had mentioned in the last page that the West Lebanon, NH location reverted to just Kmart, but the road sign is still Big-K.

Kmart4life

The local talk radio station here said that in a recent poll asking people where they prefer to shop between Kmart or Walmart 65% percent said Kmart and the main reason given is because they can never find certain items on the shelves at Walmart. Our local shoppers are the reason that Kmart returned and in my opinion the poll results are huge.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Kmart4life on April 08, 2013, 10:25:59 AM
The local talk radio station here said that in a recent poll asking people where they prefer to shop between Kmart or Walmart 65% percent said Kmart and the main reason given is because they can never find certain items on the shelves at Walmart. Our local shoppers are the reason that Kmart returned and in my opinion the poll results are huge.

K mart is smaller than Wal-Mart, and like it when I go and get things quickly. I hope they'll never close.

Kmart4life

I am the same way and I don't mind paying a dollar more to get it at Kmart. ;D

retailisking

I think most people, if they want to avoid the riff-raff to pay a little more to shop at a nicer store, they'll just go to Target.

Kmart4life

Target is pretty cool but I am an old school Kmart guy, I've been going since I was a kid.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Kmart4life on April 08, 2013, 10:15:42 PM
Target is pretty cool but I am an old school Kmart guy, I've going since I was a kid.
I agree with you Kmart4life, because I am the exact same way. Back when I was growing up, my mother always went to both Hills Department Stores as well as Kmart. Now that Hills Department Stores is gone, I pretty much go to Kmart because it is the last one remaining of the two discount department stores that I was born and raised to shop at. Not only that, but Target does not have the selection of products that I am looking for, which is another reason why I still shop at Kmart.

d_fife

hows Kmart in Watertown CT doing? and hows its logo?

d_fife

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on February 17, 2013, 06:06:05 PM
Quote from: TRJ_22487 on February 17, 2013, 08:36:30 AM
When did the sign start falling apart?

That stinks. I love that classic Kmart sign. I believe that this is the last Kmart store in existence with this classic 1980's logo.

is the CLASSIC KMART SIGN GONE? I HOPE ITS NOT

Kmart4life

Read online today that there were 2 Winter Haven FL stores and both were slated to be closed in the Kmart bankruptcy. Store # 3624 on Cypress Gardens Blvd. was not closed and does very well today. Store # 3461 which had the address of 2008 8th Street Northwest in Winter Haven 33881 was closed. As far as I know there is nothing there but a parking lot.

Kmart4life

Here's the one on 7422 Gall Blvd. in Zepyrhills FL. that is pretty busy most of the time considering that there is a Walmart across the street from it. It also has a Sears next door.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

An Australian Kmart store during a summer night (notice the Christmas decorations).

Located in Newcastle, Australia
(it is an older 1960s Kmart building with 1990s-2000s Kmart Australia logo)

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 12, 2013, 06:59:36 PM
An Australian Kmart store during a summer night (notice the Christmas decorations).

Located in Newcastle, Australia
(it is an older 1960s Kmart building with 1990s-2000s Kmart Australia logo)

This is really very beautiful. I can just imagine how good it would look if the Kmart Stores here in the U.S.A. did this every year for Christmas as well.

Kmart4life

Just left my Kmart which I will be working at very soon and it was real busy, they had 5 out of the 6 registers running.

BillyGr

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on April 12, 2013, 08:06:55 PM
This is really very beautiful. I can just imagine how good it would look if the Kmart Stores here in the U.S.A. did this every year for Christmas as well.

Of course, it's probably easier to get employees (or whoever) to go put up the decorations in shorts and T-Shirts than it would be (at least here in NY) to do so in long pants, heavy coats, gloves, multi layers, boots, ice gear etc. ;)