Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: retailisking on December 17, 2012, 11:50:33 PM
Quote from: Marc B on December 14, 2012, 05:16:01 PM
KMART just proved how heartless they are. In a tweet on Twitter about sending prayers to the victims of the shooting massacre in Newtown, Connecticut they promoted a thing about 15 Fab Toys. #reallyclassykmart

Less heartless than simply incompetent in this case, I think.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-14/kmarts-connecticut-shooting-twitter-fail

How is Kmart heartless when it comes to to this tweet on twitter? All they were doing was just announcing that they were going to end the Twitter chat early due to the Connecticut-Shooting. What is wrong with that? Wouldn't you want a notification if something were cancelled that you were going to be a part of?

Kmart4life

I think the Christmas holiday shopping results will be the best indication for Kmart's future.

TRU7536

Quote from: Kmart4life on December 19, 2012, 10:11:12 AM
I think the Christmas holiday shopping results will be the best indication for Kmart's future.

The last couple years have been horrible for this company. We all know its a goner, now just waiting when.

Kmart4life

I think they will be ok but certain things need to improve 8)

Zayre88

Quote from: Kmart4life on December 23, 2012, 08:59:43 AM
I think they will be ok but certain things need to improve 8)

I guess that if they managed to survive since the 2002 bankruptcy, they can be OK for some time but in what shape?

The way this chain has been managed in the past few years is not promising.  I don't see a turnaround in a near future.  What I expect is more store closings throughout the next year unfortunately.

TRU7536

Article from 1994 about Kmart wanting to build a store on the Berlin Turnpike.

http://articles.courant.com/1994-07-21/business/9407210735_1_kmart-corp-kmart-shoppers-kmart-site

It was orginally suppose to be 178,000 SF and a Olive Garden was suppose to be built on that plaza.

As we know it never happened, but five years later, Lowes ended up building on that property. I bet if Kmart did opened, it probaly might have closed.

Bdubs

Quote from: TRU7536 on December 23, 2012, 01:13:04 PM

http://articles.courant.com/1994-07-21/business/9407210735_1_kmart-corp-kmart-shoppers-kmart-site

It was orginally suppose to be 178,000 SF and a Olive Garden was suppose to be built on that plaza.

As we know it never happened, but five years later, Lowes ended up building on that property. I bet if Kmart did opened, it probaly might have closed.

Crazy, every single store mentioned in that article has closed. 

TRU7536

Quote from: Bdubs on December 23, 2012, 06:32:52 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on December 23, 2012, 01:13:04 PM

Crazy, every single store mentioned in that article has closed. 

Lol.. Didn't even realize that until I reread it. This article is almost 20 years old and all those stores mentioned are all in retail heaven and it shows how much the pike has changed.

zonemad96

Quote from: retailisking on February 01, 2013, 04:29:18 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57567161-504083/ten-pounds-of-marijuana-sent-to-seattle-kmart-police-say/
Dam* someone beat me to that I came across that last night when I went to go to their website. Just more stuff to hurt kmarts already hurting image.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57567161-504083/ten-pounds-of-marijuana-sent-to-seattle-kmart-police-say/

The only question that I have is how did it end up in Seattle, Washington when it was supposed to get shipped to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania? That doesn't make any sense at all. This is the last thing that I want to see happening at my favorite discount department store right now.

zonemad96

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on February 01, 2013, 05:09:23 PM

The only question that I have is how did it end up in Seattle, Washington when it was supposed to get shipped to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania? That doesn't make any sense at all. This is the last thing that I want to see happening at my favorite discount department store right now.

It was the return address they weren't going to put their own address on it and lead the cops right to them my guess is they used the seattle address to throw the cops off and make them think it was shipped from seattle and not la which is were it was shipped from and they chose kmart because they figured "dude how hilarious would it be if 10 pounds of weed got shipped to kmart" that's just my guess I doubt they had any real reason for doing except for getting a laugh out of it. It just sucks that they had to chose kmart out of all the stores they could have chose. It also doesn't help with all the jokes from the different news reporters calling it the "green light special" and "Today's Blue Light Special"

Zayre88

Anyone knows what K-Dollar is?

Apparently Kmart launched this concept recently at these locations:

Bloomfield Hills, MI
Albuquerque, NM
Pembroke Pines, FL
Hollywood, FL
Waukegan, IL

My guess is that Kmart days as a full-line national discount chain are numbered.  Kmart is higher priced than Walmart and less attractive than Target.  Soon Kohl's will have more stores than Kmart!

They might try to transform the Kmart chain into some type of large-size discount-dollar-clearance-closeout store...

http://www.freep.com/article/20130203/FEATURES13/302030004/Can-Kmart-s-KDollar-compete-in-metro-Detroit-discount-shopping-mecca-?odyssey=nav%7Chead

https://www.kmart.com/community/questions/kdollar-information-and-locations-check-it-out-to-see-if-one-is-near-you/

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

It looks like they may try to transform them back into Kresge Stores.

JoeC2364

Article from the buffalo news on the Depew K mart Closing

Kmart in Depew to close in April

BY: David Robinson / The Buffalo News

Kmart’s dwindling presence in the Buffalo Niagara region is shrinking even further, with the retailer planning to close its Depew store April 14, a company spokesman said Wednesday.

The Kmart at 1460 French Road near Transit Road employs 68 workers, who will be given the chance to apply for positions at other Kmart and Sears stores in the area, said Howard Riefs, a Kmart spokesman.

“This store is being closed because the lease was not renewed,” Riefs said. “The store closures are part of a series of actions we’re taking to reduce ongoing expenses, adjust our asset base and accelerate the transformation of our business model. These actions will better enable us to focus our investments on serving our customers.”

The closing is a continuation of the steady downsizing of Kmart, which said last year that it would close 60 of the 1,305 U.S. Kmart stores it ran at the beginning of 2012, as its sales have declined. At the same time, Kmart’s owner, Sears Holding Corp., said it would close 34 of its 834 Sears stores and dozens of other smaller, specialty stores in a cost-cutting moves.

Despite the downsizing, Sears Holdings said earlier this month that it still expects to lose between $721 million and $801 million during 2012 as sales fell at both its Sears and Kmart chains. Sales at stores open for at least a year fell by 3.7 percent at Kmart last year, while Sears sales slid by 1.6 percent, mainly due to weak consumer electronics sales.

After the Depew store closes, Kmart will have four stores remaining in the region â€" West Seneca, Buffalo, Cheektowaga and Niagara Falls â€" as well as a store in Batavia.

Pikapower

With the Depew K-Mart closing, all of its cutomers would be flocking to the K-Mart in Cheektowaga across from the Walden Galleria Mall.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Kmart4life on December 13, 2012, 08:17:03 PM
They reverted from the Sears Essential format last August and said by popular demand Kmart would return and it has done well ever since. Not to mention, the management team they put in that store are really a cut above the rest and all Kmart stores should learn from my store's management and customer service. ;D

Has The Sears Holdings Corporation done away completely with the Sears Essential format? If they did, what year did the Sears Essential format start? I am only asking this because I have never seen any Sears Essential stores in my part of the country. All we have are just Sears Department Stores at local malls with Sears Auto Shops outside the Sears Department Store at these malls.

Kmart4life

I think it wa late 2011 that they started killing it off and it was only around for like 4 years.

TRJ_22487

When did the sign start falling apart?

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on February 17, 2013, 08:36:30 AM

That stinks. I love that classic Kmart sign. I believe that this is the last Kmart store in existence with this classic 1980's logo.

TRJ_22487

This is how the White Lake, Michigan K-Mart looked back in May 1989

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on February 18, 2013, 08:19:15 PM

This is how the White Lake, Michigan K-Mart looked back in May 1989

Wow! That's a really big difference. I've already mentioned it on other posts under this topic, but I like this green and gray version over the orange and brown version, followed by the new version that they are using today with, "Kmart" in red letters over the green and gray version.

Order of Favorite Kmart looks.
1st Place Favorite: New 21st Century look with, "Kmart" in red letters
2nd Place Favorite: Kmart in green and gray
3rd Place Favorite: Original Big Kmart look from the 1990's that is red and blue
4th Place Not A Favorite At All: Kmart in orange and brown

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on February 17, 2013, 08:36:30 AM

I just now noticed that this isn't the Waterbury Kmart. This is the Watertown Kmart.

TRJ_22487

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on February 17, 2013, 06:06:05 PM
That stinks. I love that classic Kmart sign. I believe that this is the last Kmart store in existence with this classic 1980's logo.

The one in South Burlington, VT is still alive and well. I haven't been in four years now but I know it is still there.
Hamilton, Montana still has the classic logo with an unusual looking K.

The Glenwood Springs, Colorado location tragically closed down in 2012. It might have been the final one that had the true 1970's look. That was a beautiful mall location but it was photographed well before it went out.

Other than those though I really don't know about any.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on February 19, 2013, 06:40:49 PM
Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on February 17, 2013, 06:06:05 PM

The one in South Burlington, VT is still alive and well. I haven't been in four years now but I know it is still there.
Hamilton, Montana still has the classic logo with an unusual looking K.

The Glenwood Springs, Colorado location tragically closed down in 2012. It might have been the final one that had the true 1970's look. That was a beautiful mall location but it was photographed well before it went out.

Other than those though I really don't know about any.
Do you have any photos/images of these three Kmart stores?

TRJ_22487

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on February 19, 2013, 10:49:25 PM

The only one I've visited was South Burlington, Vermont. Here are the pictures I took back in January 2009. The rest of the plaza was shuttered.

I've never been to it but this is the Hamilton, Montana location. The holes suggest the K was changed at one time.

And this was the Glenwood Springs, Colorado location that was part of 2012's list of closings

Those may be the only stores left that had the classic logo...

TRJ_22487

Butte, Montana still has its classic logo on the building....sort of!

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on February 20, 2013, 10:03:17 AM

The only one I've visited was South Burlington, Vermont. Here are the pictures I took back in January 2009. The rest of the plaza was shuttered.

Has this Kmart been renovated on the inside or does it still have it's original 1980's look on the inside?

TRJ_22487

The logos on the inside are updated and the cash registers and carts are newer, but otherwise it is pretty much untouched and almost all of the departments are in their original spots. It is a cramped little store, don't know the sq ft but it never would have been a Big-K.

vwnut13

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on February 20, 2013, 10:03:17 AM

I was just there yesterday.  They have a new sign at the road.

Looks even more "retro" than that picture.  If I recall correctly, It's white with red letters, but not the all lowercase logo.  Similar font to what's on the building.