Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

videogamer75

Kmart's newest concept: In-store laundromats called ''K-wash''.

http://www.shoppingblog.com/blog/523109

First location is in Iowa City, Iowa.

dmx10101

Kmart continues their positive sales trend...

Sears releases year-end outlook
January 14, 2011

Hoffman Estates, Ill.-based Sears Holdings released its year-end outlook for the fiscal year 2010 ending Jan. 29.

For the full year, the company expects a net income of $210 million, with a fourth-quarter income expectation of between $370 million and $450 million, offsetting the company’s past two quarterly losses.

The company also posted up-to-date comparable-store sales for both its Sears Domestic and Kmart stores.

For the quarter-to-date, comparable-store sales for its Sears Domestic stores were down 5.3%, with Kmart stores seeing an increase of 3.4%.

For the year-to-date comparable-store sales, Sears Domestic saw a decline of 3.8%, with Kmart seeing a 0.8% increase
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

videogamer75

So Kmart is now outperforming Sears?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Australia's first Kmart, located in Burwood East, VIC:

1969:

2005:

1969 photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

dmx10101

Quote from: videogamer75 on January 18, 2011, 12:44:01 PM
So Kmart is now outperforming Sears?

Yes they currently are.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

jmcnamara96

Can i use a Kmart gift card at Sears?

Kmart4life

Sears Holdings is Closing the Sears Essentials in Lakeland Fl. thus reverting it back to Kmart.
We the customers have spoken and they have listened,sothe store will revert back to Kmart in
august.

Kmart4life

Lakeland
Sears Essentials will revert to its original store brand come August.
ERNST PETERS | THE LEDGER Buy photo
THE SEARS ESSENTIALS store in South Lakeland will be temporarily closing in August and converting back to a Kmart store. Its parent company said it hopes to retain most employees at the store.

By Kyle Kennedy
THE LEDGER

Published: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 8:59 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 8:59 p.m.
( page of 2 )

LAKELAND | The Kmart name is coming back to Lakeland after a six-year absence.

"It probably makes more sense for Sears to go with a known formula, and stick with the Kmart name ..."

STEVE KIRN, univ. of florida

Related Links:
Sears' Third-Quarter Loss Doubles
The Sears Essentials store at 4717 South Florida Ave., which converted from a Kmart in 2005, will revert to its original banner in August, said spokeswoman Kim Freely.

"It's just something our customers told us they wanted," Freely told The Ledger. "We're listening to what our customers have stated they prefer."

Freely said the store will close temporarily Aug. 4 through Aug. 7 for the conversion, with a soft opening planned for Aug. 8. The store has already begun liquidating some items to make room for new inventory, she said.

Owner Sears Holdings Corp. hopes to retain most employees at the store, Freely said.

The free-standing Sears Essentials stores typically offer health and beauty products, pantry items and household goods, in addition to products found at Sears' mall-based stores. Freely said there will be some inventory changes as the Lakeland location converts back to Kmart's discount store format, but she couldn't give specifics.

About six Sears Essentials locations nationwide are being changed to the Kmart format, Freely said. Sears Holdings operates roughly 1,300 Kmart locations and 50 Sears Essentials stores.

Illinois-based Sears Holdings reported a $170 million loss in the first quarter, with company officials citing "unfavorable weather, economic pressures facing our customers, and comparisons to last year's government-sponsored stimulus program relating to the purchase of appliances."

Officials attributed much of the poor performance to the company's Sears stores, while Kmart was praised for an improving financial situation that began in 2010.

"The Kmart business has ­become more responsive to our customers' needs," said Sears Chairman Edward Lampert in a Feb. 24 letter to shareholders.

Lampert said Kmart's "clear pricing message" and expanded layaway program has helped boost sales and profits.

Kmart is "resonating with people in a down economy," said Steve Kirn, executive director of the David F. Miller Center for Retailing Education and Research at the University of Florida.

"It probably makes more sense for Sears to go with a known formula, and stick with the Kmart name, which is kind of a value name," Kirn said.

For now Polk County has just one Kmart store, in Winter Haven.

[ Kyle Kennedy can be reached at kyle.kennedy@theledger.com or 863-802-7584. ]

Previous Page12Next PageAll rights reserved. This copyrighted material may

Zayre88

Quote from: Kmart4life on June 06, 2011, 08:23:17 AM
Lakeland
Sears Essentials will revert to its original store brand come August.
ERNST PETERS | THE LEDGER Buy photo
THE SEARS ESSENTIALS store in South Lakeland will be temporarily closing in August and converting back to a Kmart store. Its parent company said it hopes to retain most employees at the store.

Unbelievable, that clearly shows the failure of Sears Essentials.  I hope they will convert more stores back to Kmart!!

Kmart4life

This is the current pic of the store front!

Kmart4life

I will get pics of the inside and the exterior when the new Kmart logo goes up.

Kmart4life

Just found out that there was a really old Kmart that opened in the 1970's about 5 minutes away but it was demolished about 8 years ago for our local Chevrolet Dealership. I will have to go to the Public Library and research it and maybe get pics of the old newspaper articles. From my understanding my Mom told me that it was open until the late 80's early 90's and closed to make way for the Store that is being reverted back to Kmart. From her knowledge she said the store closed in either 1990 or 1991. The other location in North Lakeland was built in the mid 80's. I will get more info soon. :) :) :)

Kmart4life

Visited the Sears Essentials that will be a Kmart soon and found some items. They brought in 60 or so retired carts from another Kmart store and I found a vintage grey cart. And also when no one was looking I peeled off an old Kmart logo from one of the carts and have made a refrigerator magnet out of it.

Kmart4life

Kmart Cart Logo.jpg

AmesNewington

I hope that Kmart can eventually re-expand in the CT area. I love the Cromwell store. Maybe if Kmart can open a few new stores (brand new; not remodeled) in states where they still operate but don't have many locations. This would be a fresh new start for them. Kmart can be competitive if they want to. Aside from their outdated stores, they have great sales and good quality merchandise, and they have an advantage as they are an alternative to Walmart, which people are getting fed up with.

Kmart4life

Agreed if they do that it could be big for them. And maybe take different approach to the whole Supercenter thing. A state of the art Supercenter would be cool. But keep it clean and have manageable isles without clutter. All in all Kmart does have good merchandise but they do need to lower some of their prices and maybe one up walmart's price match guarantee and do a price beat guaratee. Long Live Kmart!

AmesNewington

What Kmart would thrive on is opening mid-sized stores that are not too large and not too small. The Cromwell Kmart is huge and has everything you could imagine, but they could utilize space more, and even though they re-did parts of the store, you could still see where long-gone features were (KCafe, the old Garden Shop).

I've noticed that Kmart is aggressive with their garden shop this year. They definently over-ordered plants and shrubs. They have displays in the parking lot. They are all quality plants too.

Zayre88

With recent news about Kmart, it looks like they have some momentum and could bounce back.

I personally would start opening new stores and keep improving existing locations.  Just plain Kmart without 3 or 4 different concepts with orange or green color schemes.  Just clean, bright Kmart stores!

AmesNewington

Quote from: Zayre88 on June 13, 2011, 04:42:19 PM
With recent news about Kmart, it looks like they have some momentum and could bounce back.

I personally would start opening new stores and keep improving existing locations.  Just plain Kmart without 3 or 4 different concepts with orange or green color schemes.  Just clean, bright Kmart stores!

Their biggest mistake was doing the Green and Orange concepts after their bankruptcy, and then after merging with Sears, doing the whole concept thing like you said. A&P is another example of this and look where that's gotten them. They have so many banners and sub-banners (A&P Fresh, A&P Food Market, A&P Foodmart (which is basically gone), Pathmark Sav-A-Center), it eventually confuses consumers. They have no clue where they are shopping. Stick with their true identity.

Kmart should also really consider giving the Big Kmart stores new signs that indicate "Kmart". Big Kmart is really not used in their marketing any longer and on top of that, the Kmart portion of the logo is still the old logo.

Kmart4life

Went to the library today to research my earlier post and found out that there was a Kmart in the area where our Chevy dealer now sits.
According the the city's directory books the store opened sometime in 1976 and closed in or around 1994. The 1994 directory showed it vacant that year. It also showed that our Sears Essentials that is going back to Kmart was listed in 1994. The directory showed the store # as 3242 and the Address was 947 Bartow Rd. and then area code 813-688-6613. It also had a Kash N Kerry food store listed as it was right next to Kmart.

Kmart4life

Took these today at the Winter Haven Fl. Kmart @ 6015 Cypress Gardens Blvd.
\Pictures\Kmart Winter Haven Fl .2 .jpg

Kmart4life

Pictures\Kmart Winter Haven Fl..jpg

Kmart4life

This Kmart still has Little Ceasers although I could not ge any pics.

dmx10101

Quote from: Kmart4life on June 14, 2011, 04:58:56 AM
This Kmart still has Little Ceasers although I could not ge any pics.

Thats awesome, I wish you could've gotten a picture.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Kmart4life

I will try when I go back next week.

McNuggetMan

Quote from: dmx10101 on April 23, 2010, 11:56:36 PM
Kmart in Pompano Beach, FL..I wonder what this Kmart used to be? lol

Kmart in Royal Palm Beach, FL..The Miami area has some of the nicest, newest and most remodeled Kmarts

Kmart in Lake Park, FL..Another nice Miami area store

No I did not take these pics, I got them off of one of Sears Holdings websites.
I have some sad news about the Royal Palm Beach store. It's in the process of closing, and it's going to close on July 6th. So sad. BTW, they only replaced the signs on the outside because the inside of the store has the old signage. (I'm talking about signage that predates the "Big-Kmart" days.)

jason83080

From what I understand, the Super Kmart Center in Medina, OH - the first one, if I'm not mistaken - is reverting back to a regular Kmart store, partially due to the competition from the newer Super Walmart across the street.

http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/kmart/386351-kmart-medina-oh-super-kmart-big-k.html
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2011/02/kmart_converts_medina_store_fr.html
http://superkmart.blogspot.com/2011/02/super-kmart-conversions.html

(Apparently, it was supposed to have happened by April. I saw pictures recently of the emptied-out food side, and it's completely empty.)

On the subject of Super Kmart stores, the former Cobblestone Square location (Elyria/Sheffield, OH), which is 1/4 Litehouse Pools & Spas, was about to lose the new "Bargain Warehouse" store that occupied some of the remaining 3/4 of the building, but it would seem as though a new owner has purchased the store operations, and is continuing on. Maybe this owner will actually spring for heating and air conditioning, because the previous one did not. Of course, considering that "Bargain Warehouse" has nothing really worthwhile for sale (it's like one huge garage sale/knockoff shop; one item they sold were multi-pack batteries with an open disclosure that some were leaking), I'll be surprised if it keeps going. Seeing a new Kmart go into the space where the original Super Kmart's food side was would be awesome, since we only have one legitimate Kmart left in the county - Amherst/Lorain's Super Kmart - with others that have been closed (Elyria/Midway Mall - now a Bed Bath & Beyond, Family Christian, and Marc's - and Westlake - now a terminally-empty-of-customers Sears Grand) for various reasons (Elyria was closed in anticipation of Sheffield's opening).

scottw73

Quote from: McNuggetMan on June 21, 2011, 02:00:20 PM

Kmart in Royal Palm Beach, FL..The Miami area has some of the nicest, newest and most remodeled Kmarts

I have some sad news about the Royal Palm Beach store. It's in the process of closing, and it's going to close on July 6th. So sad. BTW, they only replaced the signs on the outside because the inside of the store has the old signage. (I'm talking about signage that predates the "Big-Kmart" days.)

The Pompano beach K-mart looks like a former Bradlees

MikeRa

Quote from: scottw73 on June 22, 2011, 10:01:57 PM
Quote from: McNuggetMan on June 21, 2011, 02:00:20 PM

The Pompano beach K-mart looks like a former Bradlees
The Pompano Beach Kmart was a former J. M. Fields store
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"