Main Menu

Seabrook NH

Started by Zayre88, July 13, 2007, 02:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

Still vacant today..!  The shopping center only has a supermarket and a State liquor store left.  I don't know why that store remains empty.  

The area is thriving with a new Lowe's, Chili's, Honey Dew and is in tax-free NH a few miles away from Hampton Beach and Mass.

Zayre88

Red Ames logo on the store and pylon sign (july 2007).

GothicPrincess

I used to live in Seabrook, NH but we're talking 25 years ago. I remember there was a Zayre there. Is that what became of it, is that it became Ames? I'm in west PA now and I remember reading an article in the local paper about the Ames closing here was originally a Zayre store until Ames bought them out. This brought out alot of research on my part, to where I stumbled across these boards through another website called The Caldor Rainbow. Thank you for any information you can give me.
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

C. Fontaine

Well, I had confirmed an observation by Zayre88 with a former executive that all store #'s in the 2000's were former Zayres.  Based on that and the overall facade design I would have to say that this is most likely not the Zayre, but I'll see if I can find anything on it!

GothicPrincess

I appreciate that. It's a major flashback to my childhood, being I got lost in Zayre when I was 5 years old. I remember the store in browns and oranges and yellows just everywhere, like the 70's had thrown up into 1981...It seemed dark in there, the flourescents seemed dirty and the carpeting was this nasty berber stuff. My sister and I used to scuff our feet on it then touch the racks and get shocks from it. Another flashback to my childhood, there were no Shop N Save's in New Jersey while I lived there, but I remember in New Hampshire there was one because I remember being 3 or 4 stuffed in a shopping cart and throwing up on the floor, my mom sent my 6 year old sister to get someone to clean it up. I had forgotten this until I moved to West Pennsylvania and actually got a job in a Shop N Save for a short period of time. Lots of memories flood back when you get one kick in the pants like that...

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by GothicPrincess
I used to live in Seabrook, NH but we're talking 25 years ago. I remember there was a Zayre there. Is that what became of it, is that it became Ames?

I was told that the Seabrook Zayre used to be at the Seabrook Southgate not too far away from Ames.  The space became a Market Basket.  Zayre sure had a large sign!

GothicPrincess

I just remember the front of the building had the sign direct not on top like the older ones. And the color scheme was WAY 70's...Yes I'm showing my age in this by remembering something that happened 25+ years ago, but heck with it lol I'm sure I'm not the only one...Thank you kindly for that photo of the sign. Does anyone have a picture of the building itself or any more information about what became of it? I also grew up with Caldor, Bradlees, Ames, K-Mart, red print Sears, (mom used to work for one in Middletown, NJ) and countless others. Also, we have a KB Toys in our mall here in West PA and it's doing just fine, no dangers of closing anytime soon. I'll get pictures and post in the proper thread as soon as I can. Thank you all for your help now and in the future, for I'm sure I will have a plethora of questions later on in other threads...

Zayre88

Still there in July 2009.  Nothing has changed and I don't think the store ever was used by anyone since 2002.

Shopping center owners do want to renovate the Seabrook Plaza and this could include demolition of this former Ames. Seabrook welcomed Kohl's, Dollar Tree, a new Holiday Inn Express, and Target is coming soon so something will happen to this retail center soon...

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Red Ames logo on the store and pylon sign (July 2007).

Ames logo still up in July 2009 in Seabrook :

alltheamesyouneed

This location is indeed still vacant and has been since its closing in '02. Growing up, this was the Ames my family and I would go to, and I remember towards the end of its days I found a $20 bill on the floor of the store near the checkouts. The strip mall that this location is part of is definitely looking pretty haggard, although I remember it looking just as disheveled when Ames was still open and in business.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no future plans for this location or the strip mall itself. A bunch of new big box stores are popping up around Route One in Seabrook, but this mall seems to be in it for the long haul, which is good too, because this Ames is a happy part of my childhood, and I'd hate to see it go.