Ground Round

Started by amesman, May 11, 2005, 04:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ames#1171

Here is the closed Ground Round in  Parma, OH:

Taken from: http://www.loopnet.com/stealth/pfui.asp?url=/templates/forlease/fl_profile_page1.asp&PID=13929063

Property Description

The Parma site is regular in shape with approximately 150 feet of frontage along the south side of Day Drive. The site has access from the surrounding roads. At the time the property was acquired from CNL, the site was zoned "Retail Business".

Location Description

The Parma Property, formerly operated as a Ground Round, is located on the south side of Day Drive in Parma, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, which is approximately 10 miles outside of Cleveland, Ohio, across from the Parmatown Mall. The property is located in an area of primarily retail, commercial, restaurant and related development. Other retail and restaurant uses located in proximity to the Parma property include Target, Kohl's,Wal Mart, Sears, Red Lobster, Outback, Olive Garden, and TGI Friday's.

Suite Availability

View Suite/Floor Size Min Max Rent Availability Type Sub Lease
 1 8,800 N/A N/A $90,000.00/Yr 25 May 2004 Restaurant N/A
No Space Description Available

Contact Information

Trustreet Properties, Inc.
Dale van Gelder Phone: 888-780-2555

To access this listing directly use: http://listings.loopnet.com/13929063        5/25/2004P
Ames" border="0

d_fife

greg8370

the one in groton, ct. is now a bank.

Rayco7030

there was one in a pshopping ctr infront of the haymarket square across from the eastfield mall in springfield.ma thats now closed:hurt:
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

BillyGr

This is the (current?former?) Ground Round in Schenectady - on State Street (Route 5) at the intersection with Route 7 (as a matter of fact I was coming off Rt 7 and stopped at the light taking these photos).  As you can see by the sign it closed for "remodelig" October 10th - as you can also see since these pix were taken at the end of February, it doesn't look like much remodelling has been going on in the last 4 months!

(P.S. - There was also a bit of snow on the parking lot that didn't look like it had been touched either)

In addition, the only other still operating location in the Albany area (on Western Ave. - a newer one in a hotel) just recently changed to the 1228 grill (address of the hotel) as well.  I just checked - both are still listed on the locator at groundround.com, so who knows what the fate of this one is.

There were many others in this area - Mohawk Mall, Latham Circle, East Greenbush (Walmart Plaza) - all demolished, Central Ave (Now part of the Depaula Dealership - this was a former HoJo that dates back to the 30's or 40's) - still used as part of the dealership and others that I'm not remembering at this point.

BillyGr

First is the location at Central & Everett in Albany - was a HoJo (and an older one as well) then became GR.  Was colsed for a couple years, now part of DePaula dealership.

2nd is the newer location on Western Avenue (attached to a hotel) - this one opened a couple years ago (not terribly long before the company went bankrupt) and just recently switched the sign to read "The 1228 Grill" - no idea why.

3rd is (I think) a former location on Wolf Road in Colonie.  It was most recently a Lone Star (they closed within the last 3 weeks - they closed about 30 restaurants in total at one time).  I believe it was Ground Round previously - it sits next to Chili's (which is on the former Cranberry Bog site) - it had been empty for a bit before LoneStar took over.

Zayre88

Ground Round in Bangor Maine on Odlin Road.

amesman

Here's the Kingston, New York location in the Hudson Valley Mall. It had closed for a little while, then reopened with the new design and logo. On the outside, both the new and old logos are on the wall.

beachgal26

Wow!  I have never seen a free-standing Ground Round before.  My only memory is the one that was one of attached restaurants to the Apple Blossom Mall in Winchester, VA.  Since it was located near my parents', we only got there once a year, but we loved it and the baskets of popcorn that they brought to the table as soon as you sat down.  (It was so good that you had to remember to save room for your food!)

I did not know that they were connected to Howard Johnson and am sad to hear that many of them are closing....

:hurt::(:(

Ameskid

The Cincinnati, OH Ground Round is now a Feldy's. Apparently they have converted it into a live performance/restaurant sort of place. Never been there after it closed.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

tomasher

Two I remember:

- Roosevelt Boulevard and Red Lion Road - Philadelphia, PA.  Became a Lone Star, and now a car dealer.  This location is next to a Friendly's.

- NJ 38 in Maple Shade, NJ near Moorestown Mall.  I THINK this is now a French restaurant, but I might have my locations mixed up.  Maybe it's a car wash, I don't know.

amesman

Well, a bit of bad news has come to the Kingston Ground Round, pictured by me above. Last week sometime, the found the night manager of the restaurant stabbed to death. This has been the second crime to come to the Hudson Valley Mall, the first being the February 2004 mall shooting.

beachgal26

Does anyone know if they have any locations in the south or is it another northern chain?  (It seems like all the chains that I like best like Friendley's, HoJo, etc. are only up north now and we surely miss them!!!

:( :no:

BillyGr

The current website lists locations in CA, CT, GA, IA, KS, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NH, NY, ND, OH, PA, RI, SD, VT & WI - so the only one that is "south" would be Georgia (Snellville)

I 'm not sure if they had other more southern locations at one time, but since they converted many Hojo's at various times, it seems likely they did (and unlikely that they would have had just that one in GA with nothing else around).

Of course, they have shrunk a lot - for example there are now 10 listed in NY, at one point you could have found almost that many just in the Albany area!

BillyGr

This is a former Ground Round in Newark, Delaware (just off Exit 1 of I-95 on Route 896).  The local phone book lists both Ground Round & Matildas with the same address (apparently the GR closed about a year ago give or take, as Matilda's has been voted the best New restaurant in one of the local papers (see banner).  The inside is a bit different, including a bar with corrugated metal roofing, but that may be more like the newer GR style (only one in Albany area was new, and I never went to that one) - though the part of having seating to both sides when you come in is the same (bar area right, other left, restrooms in the middle).

This is just a block or so down from the HoJo (now Friendly's).

store215

The Ground Round near me in Montgomeryville, PA had a similar look/layout to it. Unfortunetly, it didn't survive after the 2004? bankruptcy and was knocked down for a Macaroni grill :mad:

d_fife

former ground round in vernon ct

d_fife

former ground round in wethersfield ct

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

the one in kingston ny and i bleieve the shooting last year was here.,

shakethis1234

what happen to them they all closed in syracuse area most of them became tullys

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
what happen to them they all closed in syracuse area most of them became tullys

The One in New Hartford was ordered to Shut down on Monday by Company Management. I guess they didn't even finish the day out there. Looks to be the Final Chapter for the Ground Round.

Marc82

That's not the first time they've done that. I remember reading numerous articles about them kicking customers out and locking the doors permanently.

mjb1124

I vaguely remember the Ground Round in New Brunswick, NJ from when I was really young.  According to my folks, it was originally a HoJo, as was the motel next door, which became Econo Lodge for a while but is now HoJo once again.  The restaurant is now a Fuddruckers.

mjb1124

Also, to add to my above post, I do also remember eating in at least one other Ground Round location as a kid (I don't remember where), and while I don't have any recollection of the main courses there, I do vaguely remember the clown and the popcorn now that I think about it.

XISMZERO

Ground Round at Hampshire Mall in Hadley, Mass. This mall is quite 70s vintage. Picture taken 2006.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's a vacant one in Springfield, Mass. across the Eastfield Mall. Took this picture last month.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's another vacant Ground Round label scar in Stoneham, Mass. on the dead side of the [former Caldor/Ames] Redstone plaza. This entire half is stricken with vacancy.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr