Main Menu

Update on Great Barrington, MA

Started by BillyGr, June 19, 2007, 09:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

They are in the process of remodeling it - a part (assumably the right side where the new front has been added) will become a Staples.  The other part I'm not sure (though it had been posted before that Big Y used part for storage) - I don't know why they don't just expand into it officially since it isn't a very Big Y (ha).

Here's a shot of the Ames conversion in progress.

C. Fontaine

Oh man, this was one of the last Ames that were still standing in western Mass, nice picture!  It's also one of the few that still had the red A design on the wall.  Thats what I ahd though as well when I visited.  The Big Y is very outdated and cramped as it is, it seemed they would have put better use to the building for themselves by moving into it.

Here's a link to those earlier pictures,

http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php/v/ames/stores/MA/great+barrington/050506/

beachgal26

Chris, when was that store open?  By the looks of it, it appears that the Ames was open in 2006.  The front looks very seasonal and are the "storage" pictures further in the back?

C. Fontaine

No, it actually closed with the rest in 2002!  Big Y was using the lobby do display their summer stuff, and was using the entire interior for storage.  It does look deceivingly "open" by the looks of it!

beachgal26

That was a use for a closed store that I have never seen before.  Other than turning it into an OSJL or a flea market, at least there was some use for a vacant building besides tearing it down.

This is totally off the subject, but, the vacant K-Mart across the highway from us is finally getting a new lease on life.  It appears that a couple of people from TX have the great idea to gut the inside and turn it into an indoor go-kart, arcade, putt-putt golf, etc. venue.  Since we have nothing else like it in the area, it should do well and be a great place for kids of all ages to go and find something fun to do.  (Since we have great weather most of the year, it should do well in the winter and our hot/humid summer months.)  I'll try and send along pictures once they've completed more of the construction!

:yup: