Main Menu

Scar

Started by C. Fontaine, June 10, 2007, 11:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Not nearly as interesting as whats going on in Torrington, but here some updated pictures of a store untouched by time in Warren, RI.

http://amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php/v/ames/stores/RI/warren/060207/

NJxxJon

The have covered the ames scar on that one ....:no:
JN

C. Fontaine

Actually the sign is still there!  You can see the outline behind the banner.

Tambou

I have to admit I was quit shocked when I saw there was an Ames fan club! I worked at the Warren, RI store. I am also a Warren resident.
I worked there from before the store opened (with the remodel crew) till the doors closed.
It was nice to see the pics. although I see this place every day. The loading dock always looked like that. (run down)   It was once Grants Department store then it was a Valueland Supermarket.(that is why there are so many differnt loading docks that are now sealed off) The reason it is still abandon is because a local market (Stop & Shop) is renting the space to keep any other market from moving in. Sadly it will look that way for a long time to come

Anyway just thought I would give you a bit of info on the ole warren store.

Karen

frameguy2704

I hear that Stop and Shop does that a lot, they rent empty buildings so no other markets can go in there, that is sad that they are allowed to do that, they area the empty stores are in look bad because of that. I hear that they are renting a whole empty plaza in Coventry  since mid 90's but that plaza is finally getting new life soon..

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by frameguy2704
I hear that Stop and Shop does that a lot, they rent empty buildings so no other markets can go in there, that is sad that they are allowed to do that, they area the empty stores are in look bad because of that. I hear that they are renting a whole empty plaza in Coventry  since mid 90's but that plaza is finally getting new life soon..

Stop and Sh** does pull that bullshi* alot. However in Connecticut it's against the law according to State Attorney General Richard Bleumenthal. He says what they are doing is an unfair business practice that hurts everyone. By keeping the big anchor stores empty, smaller stores in the plaza will have less business.

In some cases it's even pinning business partner against business partner. I read an article a few years ago that Stop & Shop was secretly paying one of the partners that owned the ShopRite Plaza in Middletown, Connecticut to keep the ShopRite vacant.  Most recently I heard a flea market is there.

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
QuoteOriginally posted by frameguy2704

Stop and Sh** does pull that bullshi* alot. However in Connecticut it's against the law according to State Attorney General Richard Bleumenthal. He says what they are doing is an unfair business practice that hurts everyone. By keeping the big anchor stores empty, smaller stores in the plaza will have less business.

In some cases it's even pinning business partner against business partner. I read an article a few years ago that Stop & Shop was secretly paying one of the partners that owned the ShopRite Plaza in Middletown, Connecticut to keep the ShopRite vacant.  Most recently I heard a flea market is there.

The same thing happened a few years back near where I live.  The Great American supermarket in the old Ames Plaza in Gouverneur, NY, closed and P&C leased the space to keep another supermarket from moving in.  P&C never used the space themselves.  They ended up subleasing it for a while for a skateboard park or roller skating rink or something like that until their lease expired.  Now the space is a Family Dollar.