AMESFANCLUB
November 19, 2017, 06:21:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/19/17. - Some progress has been made on updating the message board today. I'm going to take a break for a day or two. I feel like I'm going blind doing this. Sorry for any inconvenience. - Thanks - Brammy. marcpb1982@gmail.com - http://www.twitter.com/brammy1982

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodwill  (Read 6684 times)
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »

Picture of a Goodwill location near me on Banksville Road in Pittsburgh.

zonemad96

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »

I'm not a fan of goodwill for a few reasons.

1. They get leftovers that other stores couldn't sell then turn around and jack the price up more that what the other store was trying to sell them for, it's like hello they obviously weren't selling at the other store why would you try and charge more for it.
2. If you are actually broke and can't afford stuff you can usually get it cheaper at a regular retail store in the clearance section and on top of it the item is new instead of being used and half wore out.
3. It stinks, then again I have been in a sears and a jc penny that actually smelt worse so nevermind.

I'm not saying Goodwill is horrible obviously they do a lot of good for people and the community I just think the amount of good they do is vastly exaggerated and their is much better ways of helping the community.

Okay really I'm just upset that I never find anything cool or interesting at my local Goodwill's  :(
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »

There is a new Goodwill store under construction in West Mifflin, PA, just across the
parking lot from what was the Service Merchandise store where I worked in the mid-90's.

This was the site of a Busy Beaver home center which was hastily torn-down after
suffering some sort of catastrophic structural failure.  This is just up the hill from the
Salvation Army Superstore I have posted about previously.

There is plenty of vacant retail space in the area.  The fact that they chose to
build from the ground-up is therefore interesting.
JJBers

No Ames nearby since 2002...

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 12:16:50 PM »

I have only been the Southington Goodwill once...Salvation Army is more popular here.

Flickr
Eastern CT Retail

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

Brammy
Administrator
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2017, 04:48:56 PM »

I have only been the Southington Goodwill once...Salvation Army is more popular here.

3 Salvation Army stores in the Central CT area (maybe more) closed own. New Britain, Bristol, and West Hartford. If I want used books I buy them at Goodwill or Savers.  I don't trust anything except books from those types of stores any more. XMAS 2015 I bought one of my Mom's Christmas presents at Savers and it didn't even survive the car ride home from Bristol to Southington. It was a tiny little rocking chair I bought her for one of her bears. She collects bears.

~Marc B~
Southington, Connecticut
JJBers

No Ames nearby since 2002...

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2017, 05:54:23 PM »

3 Salvation Army stores in the Central CT area (maybe more) closed own. New Britain, Bristol, and West Hartford. If I want used books I buy them at Goodwill or Savers.  I don't trust anything except books from those types of stores any more. XMAS 2015 I bought one of my Mom's Christmas presents at Savers and it didn't even survive the car ride home from Bristol to Southington. It was a tiny little rocking chair I bought her for one of her bears. She collects bears.
Same here, I would rather shop at Wal-Mart than at a slavation army. But if I want to find a off-market game for my PS2 or possibly even my SNES, I might go there.

Flickr
Eastern CT Retail

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

buzz86us

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »

I'm not a fan of goodwill for a few reasons.

1. They get leftovers that other stores couldn't sell then turn around and jack the price up more that what the other store was trying to sell them for, it's like hello they obviously weren't selling at the other store why would you try and charge more for it.
2. If you are actually broke and can't afford stuff you can usually get it cheaper at a regular retail store in the clearance section and on top of it the item is new instead of being used and half wore out.
3. It stinks, then again I have been in a sears and a jc penny that actually smelt worse so nevermind.

I'm not saying Goodwill is horrible obviously they do a lot of good for people and the community I just think the amount of good they do is vastly exaggerated and their is much better ways of helping the community.

Okay really I'm just upset that I never find anything cool or interesting at my local Goodwill's  :(

Well they always have half off sales on specific days, so i guess that sort of balances it out a tad..
ShopKoFan
Expert Member

Knows ShopKo too well.

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2017, 01:11:43 AM »

The Goodwill that is located a few blocks from my apartment in Green Bay, Wisconsin started its life as a BEST Products catalog showroom in 1984, which closed in 1987. It became a Best Buy electronics store in the early 1990s which closed circa 2004. It was a temporary home to a bargain book outlet in 2005. It became a Goodwill store circa 2008.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: