Main Menu

Goodwill

Started by AmesNewington, May 29, 2007, 03:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

After stopping at Best Buy with my dad, we headed up to Lowe's on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington. I spotted a sign stating that a Goodwill store is opening in Newington. The sign was on the corner of Costello Road and the Berlin Turnpike in front of Footprints Shoe Store and near Dunkin' Donuts and the T-Bowl center. It looks as if they are building a new building from the ground up on that corner.

TRU7536

I saw this to. I was talking to my freind about this. Theirs a buidling in back and looks like its being constructed to. I didn't hear anything about goodwill and I am always on top of everything on the pike!!!!  We will see if their adding on to the other building or making a new one. Bc the land seems to small for a new buidling.

videogamer75

I was at goodwill today and caught them using a classic Value City shopping cart....the logos on the side had simple index cards with "Goodwill" written on them with a marker, but the Value City logo was uncovered and clearly visible on the front of the cart. The handle bar had a sticker reading "property of Goodwill" covering the Value City logo.

videogamer75

This is the goodwill in Stratford NJ. Former Penn Fruit

videogamer75

videogamer75

Jonah Norason

There's a Goodwill store in my town, that despite the exterior being renovated, inside, is a through and through former Kmart that closed in the mid-90s. The tile is gone, of course, except for the backrooms, and the whole store has this dated, claustrophobic feel to it...

Mobil

There is a Goodwill in Wilmington, DE, a former A&P.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The Goodwill on West Mason Street in Green Bay, Wisconsin opened inside a former Best Buy store which is located next to Toys "R" Us.

MikeRa

Quote from: videogamer75 on August 03, 2008, 04:11:00 PM
This is the goodwill in Stratford NJ. Former Penn Fruit
This Goodwill location was never a Penn Fruit location.  It origionally opened as a Food Fair location
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

The one in Southington, CT is in the former Eblen's in the "Queen-Bee Plaza" next to Price Chopper. The Eblen's builoding was built in the mid 90s. Eblen's previously was located across the street and closed in around 2004. According to Easter Seals Goodwill's website the Southington store is 8,100 Square feet and opened in 2006.

The one in Bristol, CT is located in Shoprite Plaza and was Lil' Bob's Discount Furniture - a much smaller version of Bob's Discount Furniture. It was one of 2 other Bob's Discount Furniture locations that closed when they opened a new store in the former AMES in Southington. Before Bob's the location was a drugstore, but I don't remember the name of it. According to Developer's Realty Corporation it is 10,016 Sq Feet.

I like Goodwill, much nicer than the Salvation Army thrift store, though not as nice Savers.

Also it looks like the music video "Thrift Shop" was filmed at a Goodwill. http://youtu.be/QK8mJJJvaes

P.S. I can no longer post pictures on this website. Since September I've been living with my mom and using her laptop. The jacks on her laptop are broken and I can not plug in my digital camera.

ynkeesfn82

Goodwill opened in New Britain, CT in November 2013 in the former Blockbuster Video in The Columbus Plaza on Columbus BLVD.

MikeRa

The Goodwill that is near me (Part of Goodwill Keystone PA [which is most of Southern and Central PA except Chester County, Delaware County, and the City of Philadelphia]), in Bensalem, PA is next to a Dollar Tree that used to be Drug Emporium
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

TheFugitive

They have a long-standing location on East Carson Street on the South Side of Pittsburgh.

About fifteen years ago they moved a block up the street, from their long-time location to
a beautiful, brand-new building.  For many years a steel mill was located directly across the
street.  By the time they made this move the mill had been torn down, and that area was an
open field.

Flash forward, and there is now an upscale shopping/office/apartment complex across the
road from Goodwill.  The tenants there are now all complaining that the area is "too upscale
for a Goodwill store" and are pressuring them to move.

I disagree.  Many college students live in the area.
A thrift store is actually a valuable resource to them.

ynkeesfn82

I wonder if Goodwill in Waterbury, Connecticut does any business. It's in the Lakewood Plaza on the corner of Lakewood Road and Wolcott Street and the only other thing in the plaza is a Planet Fitness. I think the building that houses The Goodwill Store used to be a Staples and a Barnes & Noble. Staples moved to the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center across Wolcott Street. Barnes & Noble moved to the Brass Mill Commons.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on March 26, 2014, 06:58:26 PM
I wonder if Goodwill in Waterbury, Connecticut does any business. It's in the Lakewood Plaza on the corner of Lakewood Road and Wolcott Street and the only other thing in the plaza is a Planet Fitness. I think the building that houses The Goodwill Store used to be a Staples and a Barnes & Noble. Staples moved to the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center across Wolcott Street. Barnes & Noble moved to the Brass Mill Commons.

Just got back from visiting friends in Wolcott. She told me that Goodwill is moving into the old Petco on Wolcott Street in Shoprite Plaza, meaning Planet Fitness is the only thing in that plaza.

buzz86us

I hate how GoodWill opened the door to thrift stores charging more for other people's used junk..Salvation Army used to to pretty cheap..now I go to independent thrift stores same junk at the prices that used to be the norm..

Hudsons81

The Goodwill in Woodhaven, Michigan (part of the Goodwill of Greater Detroit chain) is a ground-up build from 2013.

danfifepsu

why do the stores have a certain smell inside?

Pikapower

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 24, 2016, 09:14:17 AM

It's because some of the stuff that Goodwill sells had been in storage for a long time before they're donated to Goodwill.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Quote from: Pikapower on April 11, 2016, 06:03:17 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on February 24, 2016, 09:14:17 AM

It's because some of the stuff that Goodwill sells had been in storage for a long time before they're donated to Goodwill.
It's a certain type of "mothball" aroma.

EddieJ1984

I gotta say, I've been a fan of thrift stores for a while, I got into records again this year and have found great deals (david bowies diamond dogs for a buck? nice)
Used to be into gettin old video games but the market for those has gotten pricey with not many good deals anymore, like in goodwill (like 4 years ago I found a slim ps1 with 2 controllers and wires for 5 bucks)

Pikapower

Is it true that Goodwill stores just throw away their unsold clothes?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

TheFugitive

Goodwill here in Pittsburgh has some outlet store where they ship all of the unsold
clothing from other locations.  They hold "bag sales" where you pay a dollar or two for
a bag and get to take home everything you are able to stuff into it.

It's in a very inconvenient location on the other side of town,
so I have never been there.

I do see massive cartons of stuff outside the St. Vincent DePaul store
on it's way to the dump.  Stuff they've decided they can't or won't sell for some reason.

buzz86us

Goodwill is too expensive.. I just go to home-grown thrift stores since the GoodWill and the Salvation Army have gotten too expensive.. $10 for a pair of black khakis i got at the local thrift store for $2.50

TheFugitive

Keep in mind that thrift stores run by Goodwill, Salvation Army and
St. Vincent DePaul are trying to raise money for worthwhile causes.

BillyGr

Although to some degree it does make sense to sell the items for less - since they are being obtained at no cost (donated), any money taken in is better than no money taken in (if the prices are too high and the items sit and don't sell).

Plus there is some point at which the price gets too close to what a similar item can be gotten for at a store new, where people will just go there since they also get a guarantee of getting refunded if the item turns out not to be what they wanted or is not good.

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 28, 2017, 09:19:05 AM
I do see massive cartons of stuff outside the St. Vincent DePaul store
on it's way to the dump.  Stuff they've decided they can't or won't sell for some reason.
The Green Bay, Wisconsin location (as well as many other SVDP locations) has stopped that practice, and instead moves their unsold merchandise to the St. Vincent DePaul Dig & Save Outlet.

buzz86us

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 28, 2017, 01:58:02 PM
Keep in mind that thrift stores run by Goodwill, Salvation Army and
St. Vincent DePaul are trying to raise money for worthwhile causes.
the local thrift store benefits the local city mission

retailfan

Quote from: BillyGr on June 28, 2017, 02:17:40 PM
Although to some degree it does make sense to sell the items for less - since they are being obtained at no cost (donated), any money taken in is better than no money taken in (if the prices are too high and the items sit and don't sell).

Plus there is some point at which the price gets too close to what a similar item can be gotten for at a store new, where people will just go there since they also get a guarantee of getting refunded if the item turns out not to be what they wanted or is not good.

Actually they do have a cost  they have to hire someone who takes in the donations then they have to sort the items  check condition  then price and stock the item on the shelves .so even though no cost for the actual product  probably at least 3 people  have had to handle the products  before they are availaible  to buy.  here in Indiana  Goodwill builds most stores new  and the have a big warehouse type store and outlet stores  where things go for last chance  everything is basicly on tables and you pay by the pound .