Video Stores

Started by HoJofan206, May 01, 2007, 11:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

Post pics and talk about video stores (a dying business in the technology world)

HoJofan206

This is a typical Family Video location.  This is the ONLY video store chain that actually continues to grow!  They have over 400 stores as of 2007.

HoJofan206

A brand new Family Video Store located in Litchfield Illinois

HoJofan206

A traditional Blockbuster Video

HoJofan206

Inside of a Tampa area Blockbuster Video

HoJofan206

Hampton Roads Virginia Movie Gallery

HoJofan206

This is a Hollywood Video location located in Xenia Ohio after a tornado hit town. :no:

HoJofan206

Hollywood Video in Detroit Michigan

HoJofan206

West Coast Video store during a going out of business sale.

HoJofan206

A local video store in Mindin Nevada called the Video Library

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206

I thought this chain was all gone, but they still have some stores around according to a poor looking website (westcoastvideo.com) Ironically, none of these stores are on the west coast :P. I know they used to be huge in the philly area before Blockbuster and Hollywood moved in.

HoJofan206

"West Coast" actually had/has several names for its video stores.  The ones here in Indiana were part of the chain and operated under the "National Video" name.

HoJofan206

Here is the ghost of a mom and pops video store.

HoJofan206

Inside the Movie House video store

Lastdaysofrain

I think this was the Somerville, MA store.

I bought most of their videos

Lastdaysofrain

Palmer Video in Somerville, MA which was one of the last great mom and pops around here finally closed last month.

I picked up some great stuff

C. Fontaine

I remember Video Paradise, a small chain in Webster and Southbridge, MA (as far as I know) from when I was a kid.  I used to rent Nintendo games and videos, $1 for 3 nights back in the day!  Then Blockbuster moved to town and ran them out of business.  Nowadays with these online movie services as well as the ease of pirating movies, video stores do seem like a dying breed.

There is this new concept I have rented from a few times though.  The one here is in a Stop and Shop, its called RedBox.  It's like a vending machine for dvd's.  Just swipe a credit card and it's only $1 a night and you return it back to the Red Box!  One thing I like about it is it is completely unmanned and uses barcodes, so when you drop off a movie at 10:45 at night it is returned at 10:45 at night!  Not whenever they feel like the next morning.

store215

Redboxes have finally started making their appearances in my area now. Acme (albertsons) now has them, and Genuardi's (safeway) has similar machines run by a different company. Wegmans is also supposed to be adding them to all their stores and shutting down the video departments in their older stores.

HoJofan206

Between Netflix, Blockbuster instore/online and several other factors, I am afraid the "mom and pop" video stores will quickly be a thing of the past.  :no:

HoJofan206

A newer Blockbuster location in the state of PA

HoJofan206

And a newer Hollywood Video in the same city!

HoJofan206

The former #58 Nascar sponsored by Hollywood Video

mikey7290

Hampton Roads Virginia Movie Gallery

This reminds me...has anyone heard anything about Movie Gallery possibly closing the whole chain or some stores?  I saw the crawl strip at the bottom of one of the all-news channels recently and it said something about Movie Gallery facing financial trouble and may not be able to continue operations for much longer.  Could anyone shed some light on this?:huh:

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I remember Video Paradise, a small chain in Webster and Southbridge, MA (as far as I know) from when I was a kid.  I used to rent Nintendo games and videos, $1 for 3 nights back in the day!  Then Blockbuster moved to town and ran them out of business.  Nowadays with these online movie services as well as the ease of pirating movies, video stores do seem like a dying breed.

There is this new concept I have rented from a few times though.  The one here is in a Stop and Shop, its called RedBox.  It's like a vending machine for dvd's.  Just swipe a credit card and it's only $1 a night and you return it back to the Red Box!  One thing I like about it is it is completely unmanned and uses barcodes, so when you drop off a movie at 10:45 at night it is returned at 10:45 at night!  Not whenever they feel like the next morning.

Up here in the North Country, we finally got our first Redbox.  They installed it this afternoon (6/18) outside the Price Chopper in Ogdensburg, NY.  I guess that means there won't be another video store moving into the old Video King space next door to Price Chopper.:(

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

I thought this chain was all gone, but they still have some stores around according to a poor looking website (westcoastvideo.com) Ironically, none of these stores are on the west coast :P. I know they used to be huge in the philly area before Blockbuster and Hollywood moved in.

I remember there was one in Hammonton, NJ.

jmcnamara96

Theres one in NH Called Video Update now Movie Scene

XDeSuEhTX

Anyone know anything about Video Warehouse?

They closed their doors last year out of the blue and left all the videos on the shelves. They never removed any signs or anything, they still don't even look closed.

Strange.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

Ameskid

Have you guys heard that Blockbuster is filing for Chapter 11?
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

patk