Hechinger/Builders Square/Home Quarters

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store215

There are a bunch of 84 lumbers around here...I think their headquarters is in PA or NJ.

StuckeysFanatic

So updating my profile at greenfieldonline.com led me to this question and I find it amazing that Builders Square was on there.

Ameskid

I was reading the book "Dave Barry Is From Mars And Venus" (I love Dave Barry) and in one chapter, he makes fun of Builder's Square. Here's the excerpt:
"......Builders Square has a commercial wherein the singer bleats this hyperpatriotic song that makes it sound as though the people shopping there are actually building America, whereas in fact they are looking for replacement toilet parts.":bum::bum:
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

richway987

my aunt worked at the HQ in matthews, NC in the early 90's, she got her husband's brother a few ceiling fans when she worked there

C. Fontaine

Haha, I had to do one of those polls a few months ago and I couldn't believe it, Ames was still on it!

Crawford

I don't recall any of these stores being located nearby. We started off with Grossman's and Somerville lumber. Home Depot moved in and pretty much that was it. Couple of Lowes have popped up here and there.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

C3Nostalgia

The West Mifflin BS is now a Burlington Coat Factory.

rjstheiv

The Burlington was formally a Hechenger...The old Builder's Square was up in Century Square where Levin's is.

C3Nostalgia

QuoteOriginally posted by rjstheiv
The Burlington was formally a Hechenger...The old Builder's Square was up in Century Square where Levin's is.

Your're right.  I just get them confused because my grandfather would always use the names interchangeably.  I would go with him to both frequently because he was always building stuff or fixing stuff, and there wasn't a Lowe's or Home Depot around at the time and he hated 84Lumber because they tried to gip him out of $100 one time.

Mobil

I saw an HQ on Groceteria in a former J.M. Fields. HQ was founded by the same company as OW Office Warehouse which became OfficeMax in 1992.

Zayre88

A vacant HQ in Norwood, MA from MSN maps bird's eye view.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
I saw an HQ on Groceteria in a former J.M. Fields. HQ was founded by the same company as OW Office Warehouse which became OfficeMax in 1992.

It didn't become OfficeMax, it was acquired by OfficeMax, which already existed and was founded in 1988. I wonder what their early stores were like.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil

It didn't become OfficeMax, it was acquired by OfficeMax, which already existed and was founded in 1988. I wonder what their early stores were like.

I know, I should have worded it better. Their stores have not changed much since the beginning,  like the one near me that closed in 2006.

MikeRa

The Builders Square that was at King of Prussia, PA was demolished and replaced by REG United Artists King of Prussia Stadium 16 and IMAX Theatre.

The Builders Square that was in langhorne, PA (In a former late 1970s Woolco building) was replaced by Burlington Coat Factory (also in the same Woolco building).  i am not sure if bCF is still in Langhorne.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

jmcnamara96

Building 19 in nashua nh was builders square

Ameskid

Sorry to gravedig, but I just found this picture of the #17 HQ/Builders Square Chevy that Darrell Waltrip drove in 1998.

Image credit: Jayski

jmcnamara96

my dad painted the one in manchester the bright green it was till walmart got it sames with the one in newionton nh

TRJ_22487

Austin, Texas
No idea what year it was taken

patk

heres an old Hechinger nail box form 1985!

Kmart4life

I know there is probably a thread for this chain but I found something via wikipedia earlier. www.builderssquare.com
Check it out it is a blast from the past. ;D

JimSawhill

Quote from: Kmart4life on July 01, 2012, 03:02:40 PM
I know there is probably a thread for this chain but I found something via wikipedia earlier. www.builderssquare.com
Check it out it is a blast from the past. ;D

The Builder's Square in Manchester is now the Showcase Cinemas

ynkeesfn82

Showcase Cinemas got bought out by Rave. All the theaters are now called Rave Motion Pictures - Berlin, Southington, North Haven, and Manchester. Even after Showcase had made the Manchester theatre on Redstone Street a fancy place called Cinema Du Lux.

Ameskid

Former Builders Square in Florence, KY. After closing, it was an Old Time Pottery store and is currently a (huge) church.

Former Old Time Pottery, Florence, KY by harvestmanman, on Flickr

Oddly enough, this same church operates another location in Norwood, OH in a former HQ.

Ameskid

And speaking of Florence, Kentucky, there was a HQ there as well.  It is now split between a Dick's Sporting Goods and a Christmas Tree Shops (formerly HomeGoods).  Photo courtesy of Kenton County Public Library.

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on January 12, 2009, 12:42:47 PM
The Builders Square that was at King of Prussia, PA was demolished and replaced by REG United Artists King of Prussia Stadium 16 and IMAX Theatre.

The Builders Square that was in langhorne, PA (In a former late 1970s Woolco building) was replaced by Burlington Coat Factory (also in the same Woolco building).  i am not sure if bCF is still in Langhorne.
There was also a Hechinger in Langhorne, PA that was demolished and replaced by a medical facility.  Another Hechinger was remodeled into a Brunswick Zone bowlling alley, and one at Knights and Woodhaven Road in Philadelphia, Pa that is now split between 2nd Avenue Value Stores and Big Lots
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Hudsons81

Southgate, Michigan had both Builder's Square and HQ.

Builder's Square anchored the Southtowne Crossing Shopping Center at Eureka and Dix-Toledo. This one became an HQ.

HQ was at the Northline exit on I-75 next to Sam's Club.

Both locations closed in 1999. The Southtowne location remained vacant until the entire center was torn down for a Walmart, while the I-75/Northline location is still vacant today, in 2015.

Zayre88

Former Home Quarters in Bangor, Maine. Now a Burlington Coat Factory. The partially covered lumberyard is still there but empty. Note the marks still visible on the front wall showing where the original HQ front canopy was.