Hechinger/Builders Square/Home Quarters

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Here is a Builders Square again

weres that store located????

I don't know, i've had this picture in my files for 3-4 years... It's a cool store.

BTW, anybody know what was so unusual about Hechinger ??

storehistoryguy

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Hechingers Before.

Gold's Gym After.

http://www.sfdc.org/pilot.html

i believe that was this store hears there slogen lmao:insane: its kida funny
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

Check this out! Hechinger has come back as an online site!
http://www.hechinger.com/default.aspx
and note the slogan "The world's most unusual hardware site"
:o

It doesn't look to be owned by anyone related to the orginal chain (like servicemerchandise.com and wards.com, but at least someone brought back a little bit of the past.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Hechingers Before.

Gold's Gym After.

http://www.sfdc.org/pilot.html

i believe that was this store hears there slogen lmao:insane: its kida funny

Well more then one had that slogan one the building. Mine had the slogan one the building.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Check this out! Hechinger has come back as an online site!
http://www.hechinger.com/default.aspx
and note the slogan "The world's most unusual hardware site"
:o

It doesn't look to be owned by anyone related to the orginal chain (like servicemerchandise.com and wards.com, but at least someone brought back a little bit of the past.

I knew about that.

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1
Here's a Hechinger tractor.
Heh, I have a mower that looks alot like that but it doesn't say Hechingers on it because I bought it at Sears and its in better condition.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich
Hi everyone.  Love this site.

Does anyone remember Tim Allen doing commercials for Builders Square in the mid-90's?

I don't but I believe that he did since he was on Home Improvement at the time it made sence.

Anonymous

Who knows what happened to the location off the North Freeway in The Woodlands, TX? I know that the one at FM 1960 and Tomball Parkway (249) became a Sam's Club in about 2000.

d_fife

the home quarters in norwood mass is still vacant. I went by it a couple yeras ago and it was still vacant.

The one in NAtick opened in like 1995 and closed in late 1996. why the short life.

every time a HQ opened, Home depot followed!!! in bangor Home depot and HQ were right next to each other!!!!!!!!!!! The old HQ in South portland is home depot.

Anonymous

Oh, and the last one I mentioned is in Houston (77070.)

d_fife

here is the still vacant Hechinger in dewitt new york on erie blvd.

Ameskid

My dad has a sawhorse kit from HQ. There's a blue sticker on it that says: "HQ Service Desk Thanks You!!!" Cool indeedy.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

amesman

This past weekend, I was in Syracuse, and took pics of the former Dewitt Hechinger, as well as the former Cicero store. Here are the pics.

First shot is the exterior.

amesman

amesman

store hours sign with all three logos(HQ, Hechinger, Builders Square).

amesman

amesman

amesman

amesman

Here is the former Cicero location, across from the old Penn Can Mall. It is now a number of different stores.

Zayre88

The former HQ in South Portland ME.  It moved across the street to a larger store only to close and be replaced by a Home Depot.  

The store still has the HQ style but in blue/red instead of green.  They also added a triangle top over the original HQ entrance.

Zayre88

Here is a small and blurry aerial view of the area.  We can see the 2nd HQ that was built and the older one in the shopping center.  It's already painted in blue for Decathlon and HomeGoods.

By the way, Hechinger is back in business but online only like Service Merchandise and MontgomeryWard....  http://www.hechinger.com

JustinT

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
The one in NAtick opened in like 1995 and closed in late 1996. why the short life.

Simple. Home Depot opened about a mile away in 1996. Soon after the HQ closed, it was renovated into Jordan's Furniture. Jordan's gave the building a full exterior renovation; today, you'd never know an HQ was there.

That Home Depot has become one of the most profitable in the state. But the story is about to have a sequel: Lowe's is opening a store in Framingham about a mile away. Given the notoriously bad service at the Natick store, it's about to get interesting.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by JustinT

Simple. Home Depot opened about a mile away in 1996. Soon after the HQ closed, it was renovated into Jordan's Furniture. Jordan's gave the building a full exterior renovation; today, you'd never know an HQ was there.

That Home Depot has become one of the most profitable in the state. But the story is about to have a sequel: Lowe's is opening a store in Framingham about a mile away. Given the notoriously bad service at the Natick store, it's about to get interesting.

I remember the HQ being built in like 1994 or 1995 and then it closed in 1996. WHY THE SHORT LIFE?

Caldor1999

I remember the HQ being built in like 1994 or 1995 and then it closed in 1996. WHY THE SHORT LIFE?

the short life was due to a store called home depot
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

beachgal26

As the "southern reporter" for the site, I can report that they did have HQ stores in the Memphis area when we moved here in 1994; however, they did close up all the stores quite suddenly a few years later and had all kinds of great sales.  I do still have the bricks that I bought there as my flowerbed borders.

My favorite has always been Hechinger and I just thought that their stores were so interesting and they had such a great selection of everything for the home.

Does anyone know if the "86" lumber stores are still in business and what part of the country they are/were located in?

:tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble:

powersbt

LOL

retailfan

Yes 84 lumber is alive and well at least in Indiana they are  there smaller and more lumber then anything else  theres also carter lumber thats similar mostly located in smaller rual towns although 84 lumber has a store on I69 in Fishers that definitly  not rual anymore Lowes and Home depot are less then a mile from it but its still kicking  My guess is in the next few years with property values soaring they will close it and sell iot off