Hechinger/Builders Square/Home Quarters

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store215

Caldor99

Caldor99

amesman

Yeah, HQ was a version of Hechinger, and, the parent company was Builders Square(I think) and they had stores too.

amesman

Here's a pic of the Syracuse, New York location

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Here's a pic of the Syracuse, New York location

A small logo for a big store like that !!

Here's the HQ logo...

store215

Does anyone know which states had stores branded as HomeQuarters? I know when the weekly circulars used to come around in the Philly papers the circular had all three names on it.

(Kmart owned Builders Square and Later Hechinger? From 1886-ish until 1997)

All the stores closed in 1999.

I liked the look of the Builders Square better. All of the Hechingers looked like a HUGE big square ghetto looking box, and look kind of scary from the outside

store215

Here's A Builders Square
(I'm not sure what the "II" means, probably an insdication of a larger store)

tokensafari

THat's a nice looking store! What became of this location??

Zayre88

According to a press release from Kmart's website:

- Kmart sold Builders Square to Hechinger in 1997.
- Builders Square operated 162 home improvement stores primarily in the Midwest and Southwest with 1996 sales of approximately $2.4 billion
- Hechinger operated 117 home improvement stores (64 Hechinger stores, 52 Home Quarters Warehouse stores and one Better Spaces store) primarily in the Midwest and on the East Coast with 1996 sales of approximately $2.2 billion.

I do know that HQ had stores in South Portland and Bangor in Maine and stores in Newington and Manchester NH...

Here's a HQ circular from july 1997 that i have.

tokensafari

Too bad they went under.. it seemed like a cool concept

Anonymous

Latham, NY must have been special (or something) - as it had (apparently, according to what you found) the only Better Spaces store.  It was in Latham Farms, the store started as an HQ, closed & remodeled to the Better Spaces (which I believe specialized more in interior design stuff, rather than the construction materials) - then after the chain went bankrupt and closed, the space was taken over by Home Depot!

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
According to a press release from Kmart's website:

- Kmart sold Builders Square to Hechinger in 1997.
- Builders Square operated 162 home improvement stores primarily in the Midwest and Southwest with 1996 sales of approximately $2.4 billion
- Hechinger operated 117 home improvement stores (64 Hechinger stores, 52 Home Quarters Warehouse stores and one Better Spaces store) primarily in the Midwest and on the East Coast with 1996 sales of approximately $2.2 billion.

I do know that HQ had stores in South Portland and Bangor in Maine and stores in Newington and Manchester NH...

Here's a HQ circular from july 1997 that i have.

shakethis1234

THose Stores Were All over Syracuse At one time. I dont know why they went under because Builders Square and Hechinger. were the only Home Improvment Stores  in Cny.

C. Fontaine

I remember the HQ in Shrewsbury, MA.  It wa a pretty cool store.  Then Home Depot moved in driectly across the street from it, literally a few months later it closed.

palooza68

I LOVED HECHINGER,I REMBER THE ONES IN MAINE.:(:(

Zayre88

I always knew HQ in ME & NH even before Home Depot.  

In Bangor, Home Depot opened right in the back of HQ ! The stores were really close to each other.  Home Depot opened everywhere and HQ finally closed..

amesman

I only knew of Builders Square. There was one on Central Avenue in Colonie(Albany), New York(which is now Kohl's), and one in Clifton Park(Albany), New York, that is now a Target, with a Kohl's next door..heh

tokensafari

There were never any Builders Square store located around me. From what it sounds like they were a pretty cool store! Why did Kmart sell it in the first place? I gather that they didn't do too well... but there has to be more to it than this.

Zayre88

Kmart had invested in many other stores not related to the core discount business over the years.  Between 1994 and 1997, they started to sell these stores to concentrate on the Kmart business... !

At one time or another Kmart owned Office Max, Pace membership Warehouses, Builders Square, Sports Authority, Borders Books...

Caldor1999

hears a hechinger that becam a gym lol that sad
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
hears there slogen funny lol
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

Heh. All of their stores look like that design above...

I have yet to see a Hechinger that has been converted to a normal store.

One location near me became a Brunswick Zone Bowling/ Chuck E. Cheese type place.

Others are still empty. These must be hard places to fill, or maybe someone is still holding onto the leases.

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Rich

Hi everyone.  Love this site.

Does anyone remember Tim Allen doing commercials for Builders Square in the mid-90's?

Anonymous

The Hecinger's in Manchester CT is still vacant to this day. It didn't last more than a few years.

The Builder's Square less than a 1/4 mile up the street is now a Showcase Cinema. The former Pace next door is now multi-use office space..

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
hears there slogen funny lol

wheres the slogan?:huh:

lol hear it is sorry about that i guess it dident load tha time hear it is:insane::insane::insane:
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

Its a shame that Hechingers and Builder Square went out because they were better then Lowe's.

Zayre88

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Here is a Builders Square again

weres that store located????
Caldor Forever!