Main Menu

IGA

Started by Zayre88, May 18, 2005, 08:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on July 16, 2015, 08:35:27 AM
There's also no place in Berlin to build a full-size grocery store. Ocean State Job Lot has stated they don't want a grocery store in the Webster Plaza in Berlin, which they own.

Seems strange, not like Ocean State has that much to be bothered by a supermarket.  Even if they are often in a (former) one.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on July 16, 2015, 08:35:27 AM
Yes the vacant Roger's Marketplace in Berlin was in a shopping center - Ferndale Plaza. So the only grocery store in Berlin is Stop & Shop on Farmington Ave. If they don't want to go there they have to hit the Turnpike and go to Newington where they have Price Chopper, Aldi, and Stew Leonard's or Best Market in downtown Newington. There's also no place in Berlin to build a full-size grocery store. Ocean State Job Lot has stated they don't want a grocery store in the Webster Plaza in Berlin, which they own.

I hope Job Lot changes their mindset on Webster Square Plaza. They CAN build a full sized grocery store in the plaza, spanning several storefronts in the center of the plaza, but they for some reason, just don't want that. I think they are making a mistake. Who do they think they are going to get to rehab the Woolworth's and Cinema space (which needs to be rebuilt entirely), plus the space left by Job Lot and the Billiards (which both combined was the original Waldbaums Foodmart). The two new businesses that opened up are going to need a large anchor to survive in this still rather empty shopping center. I had heard ShopRite/Drust Markets was interested in Berlin for a third store, but they haven't found a suitable space yet. I believe Job Lot was going to allow them to come in, however, the two parties couldn't come to an agreed plan. But for hope's sake, things could change. The combined large vacant space adds up to about 64,000 sq. ft. (including the Woolworth's site).

Chuck E. Cheese

They own a couple of small supermarts over here.

Bdubs

Tri-Town Foods, an IGA market based in East Lyme and Portland, CT have been purchased by Bozzutos. The article states that the name won't change yet, but I've heard they are going to become Adam's Hometown Markets in the future.
http://www.theday.com/article/20150715/BIZ02/150719533

Tri Town used to operate 2 stores in Colchester, Ledyard, and Uncasville. They closed these four due to increase in competition by Stop n Shop when they began expanding rapidly in the late 90s.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Bdubs on July 16, 2015, 09:07:02 PM
Tri-Town Foods, an IGA market based in East Lyme and Portland, CT have been purchased by Bozzutos. The article states that the name won't change yet, but I've heard they are going to become Adam's Hometown Markets in the future.

Tri Town used to operate 2 stores in Colchester, Ledyard, and Uncasville. They closed these four due to increase in competition by Stop n Shop when they began expanding rapidly in the late 90s.

I wonder if Adam's will grow... they had a store in Vernon, but it been gone for at least 20 years....

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Most of the IGA stores in Green Bay, Wisconsin were either Sure Way stores or family-owned. Super Ron's IGA in Pulaski is great example of a family-owned IGA location. Another example in my area was Skogen's IGA (which evolved into Festival Foods, which is now affiliated with SuperValu). Sure Way Foods lasted until the 1990s, when they were acquired by Jubilee Foods and becoming Jubilee IGA stores (the IGA logo dots the "I" in the Jubilee Foods logo. One former Jubilee Foods location managed to hang on as SuperValu in my area, before closing again due to poor sales even after being "closed for remodeling" from Jubilee to SuperValu.

giantsfan2016

The Top's IGA Marketplace in Southington, Connecticut went up in flames Sunday Night.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/News/Southington/Southington-News/Fire-at-Tops-Marketplace-in-Southington.html

Normally I would've copied and pasted the story from the Record Journal's site, but there are numerous photos in the article.

Brammy

Quote from: giantsfan2016 on March 03, 2019, 09:07:30 PM
The Top's IGA Marketplace in Southington, Connecticut went up in flames Sunday Night.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/News/Southington/Southington-News/Fire-at-Tops-Marketplace-in-Southington.html

Normally I would've copied and pasted the story from the Record Journal's site, but there are numerous photos in the article.

Nearly 13 months after Tops IGA Market Place in Southington burned to the ground, they reopened today March 27th, 2020.

FROM MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

Tops Marketplace in Southington open today, a year after fire â€" ‘We can’t stop virtually hugging’

March 27, 2020 12:49PM
By Bailey Wright, Record-Journal staff

SOUTHINGTON â€" Just over a year after a fire destroyed the store, Tops Marketplace is back and open for business today.

“It’s been crazy busy,” said owner John Salerno around 11:30 a.m. “Just incredible. We can’t stop virtually hugging this morning.”

Salerno said there were about 20 people lined up outside about an hour before the 8 a.m. opening. Senior citizens and first responders were allowed in first. Other customers could start shopping around 9 a.m.

“The registers are constantly going, which is really amazing,” he said.

Salerno said it’s been an incredible experience, seeing friends come out to support the business.

Because the store is opening amid the coronavirus pandemic, staff is using caution, Salerno said.

He said barriers were built around the cash registers to keep employees and customers safely distanced, an employee is posted at the entrance to disinfect carriages, and customers are asked to practice social distancing.

“We’re doing our best to do our part, to keep things safe for people,” Salerno said.

Although the store is stocked up, Salerno said staff is still adding products and with help from customers, working to remember the 28,000 items they usually had before the fire. The salad bar and hot food stations are not up and running yet due to coronavirus.

Salerno said it feels really good to be open again, especially since the last two months have been “intense.” For the last two weeks, about 40 people were in the store daily to stock all the shelves.

From the outside, Tops should look familiar to returning customers as the owners purposefully wanted to keep it the same. However, the look and layout inside will be a surprise. Salerno said space was able to be more efficiently utilized in the new design.

A drive-up window was added to the store, but online ordering and pickups are still a few months out, Salerno said.

Economic Development Director Louis Perillo said the town’s land use division, fire inspection and building department officials and inspectors “worked diligently to ensure safety compliance with a temporary certificate of occupancy, with the intention of enabling Top’s Market to provide their essential service to our community.”

“We offer our congratulations to Betty, John and their co-workers and family for their accomplishment in reopening,” he said. “We wish them great success and thank them for rebuilding and opening their beautiful brand new store.”

The store will be open for seniors and first responders only from 8 to 9 a.m. for the foreseeable future.

Current hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily, but Salerno hopes to expand.
The Real Brammy

Everything Community

Quote from: bjs203marc on March 27, 2020, 02:49:36 PM

Nearly 13 months after Tops IGA Market Place in Southington burned to the ground, they reopened today March 27th, 2020.

FROM MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

Tops Marketplace in Southington open today, a year after fire â€" ‘We can’t stop virtually hugging’

SOUTHINGTON â€" Just over a year after a fire destroyed the store, Tops Marketplace is back and open for business today.

“It’s been crazy busy,” said owner John Salerno around 11:30 a.m. “Just incredible. We can’t stop virtually hugging this morning.”

Salerno said there were about 20 people lined up outside about an hour before the 8 a.m. opening. Senior citizens and first responders were allowed in first. Other customers could start shopping around 9 a.m.

Salerno said it’s been an incredible experience, seeing friends come out to support the business.

Because the store is opening amid the coronavirus pandemic, staff is using caution, Salerno said.

He said barriers were built around the cash registers to keep employees and customers safely distanced, an employee is posted at the entrance to disinfect carriages, and customers are asked to practice social distancing.

“We’re doing our best to do our part, to keep things safe for people,” Salerno said.

Although the store is stocked up, Salerno said staff is still adding products and with help from customers, working to remember the 28,000 items they usually had before the fire. The salad bar and hot food stations are not up and running yet due to coronavirus.

Salerno said it feels really good to be open again, especially since the last two months have been “intense.” For the last two weeks, about 40 people were in the store daily to stock all the shelves.

From the outside, Tops should look familiar to returning customers as the owners purposefully wanted to keep it the same. However, the look and layout inside will be a surprise. Salerno said space was able to be more efficiently utilized in the new design.

A drive-up window was added to the store, but online ordering and pickups are still a few months out, Salerno said.

Economic Development Director Louis Perillo said the town’s land use division, fire inspection and building department officials and inspectors “worked diligently to ensure safety compliance with a temporary certificate of occupancy, with the intention of enabling Top’s Market to provide their essential service to our community.”

“We offer our congratulations to Betty, John and their co-workers and family for their accomplishment in reopening,” he said. “We wish them great success and thank them for rebuilding and opening their beautiful brand new store.”

The store will be open for seniors and first responders only from 8 to 9 a.m. for the foreseeable future.

Believe it or not, I was at this store just the afternoon (that very day) before the flames went up. That was frightening then. I'm glad they're reopen for business under the same owner. I bet they did a great job rebuilding the store from scratch. I guess I might be back at this "new & improved" IGA the next time I'm in the area (in the town where "Brammy" lives!).

BillyGr

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 26, 2015, 11:38:25 AM
Quote from: Bdubs on July 16, 2015, 09:07:02 PM

I wonder if Adam's will grow... they had a store in Vernon, but it been gone for at least 20 years....

As an update, Adam's took over a store in, of all places, Adams MA about a year ago.

This store had been a Big Y for many years and they chose to close it as it was a small store and not easily expanded, being right in town.
They had acquired it years earlier (along with several other stores they have in the Berkshires area) having purchased a locally owned chain back then which was also called Adams Supermarkets (one may expect that chain started with the store there in Adams).

JimSawhill

Quote from: Everything Community on March 27, 2020, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: bjs203marc on March 27, 2020, 02:49:36 PM

FROM MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

Believe it or not, I was at this store just the afternoon (that very day) before the flames went up. That was frightening then. I'm glad they're reopen for business under the same owner. I bet they did a great job rebuilding the store from scratch. I guess I might be back at this "new & improved" IGA the next time I'm in the area (in the town where "Brammy" lives!).

Glad to see it opened!!! Is Buzzuto's supplying the store?