Main Menu

IGA

Started by Zayre88, May 18, 2005, 08:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Discount Food Outlet (owned by Bozzuto's and was at one time Adam's and before that WAZ's IGA and FINAST before that) in Bristol, Connecticut closed in March 2012. The building will be demolished this summer for a new McDonald's as part of the redevelopment of the former Bristol Centre Mall Property. - These 2 signs were on the building.

AmesNewington

Marc, I always wondered what this store was like. I never went there, but I always used to go by there when I went to my dentist on N. Main Street. It's in the tall building across the street from the fitness center and is called "Progress Square". Hopefully, good things will happen in downtown Bristol.

Since you work at ShopRite and have a camera, please try and get some photos of the SR plaza. Also, have you been to the Southington Price Chopper since they renovated? Has it changed much? Newington really hasn't, aside from a reversed front end and new Xtreme Values dept where naturak foods was.

ynkeesfn82

The PC in Southington didn't make a lot of changes. They moved removed 3 check out lanes, moved the self-scan, moved the floral section, and have the huge discount section.

As for SR Plaza in Southington not much has changed there. Aside from the new Shoprite and the Moe's Southwest Grill, the plaza is still a huge dump. 3 vacancies remain. It's been 8 months since Panera announced it was opening and that hasn't happened. Cornerstone Property doesn't give a crap about the plaza. See the thread about the plaza in the Mall section of this board.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on April 08, 2012, 07:13:26 PM
The PC in Southington didn't make a lot of changes. They moved removed 3 check out lanes, moved the self-scan, moved the floral section, and have the huge discount section.

As for SR Plaza in Southington not much has changed there. Aside from the new Shoprite and the Moe's Southwest Grill, the plaza is still a huge dump. 3 vacancies remain. It's been 8 months since Panera announced it was opening and that hasn't happened. Cornerstone Property doesn't give a crap about the plaza. See the thread about the plaza in the Mall section of this board.

Panera Bread is coming to Southington?? Wow... I do most of my business at the local Panera. Does the PC still have the huge food court?? I love that PC when i visited my friend in Southington.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 10, 2012, 02:54:14 PM
Panera Bread is coming to Southington?? Wow... I do most of my business at the local Panera. Does the PC still have the huge food court?? I love that PC when i visited my friend in Southington.

Panera is supposedly coming. It's been 8 or 9 months since they told us at Shoprite they were opening. And it's been 7 months since the town approved it, but nothing has been done. And yes PC still has their Food Court, though they no longer have a salad or hot food bar. (We do at Shoprite though).

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on April 11, 2012, 06:54:19 AM
Quote from: JimSawhill on April 10, 2012, 02:54:14 PM

Panera is supposedly coming. It's been 8 or 9 months since they told us at Shoprite they were opening. And it's been 7 months since the town approved it, but nothing has been done. And yes PC still has their Food Court, though they no longer have a salad or hot food bar. (We do at Shoprite though).

They dropped their hot food bar??  Why?? Panera is where I spend time having coffee and doing my business. Good Food....

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 13, 2012, 04:41:24 PM
They dropped their hot food bar??  Why?? Panera is where I spend time having coffee and doing my business. Good Food....

Don't know why. They still sell freshly made pizzas and sandwiches and have different specials, just not the buffet style by the pound set-up they had back when I worked there. As for Panera they canceled their plans for opening in Shoprite Plaza - citing it would be too costly to convert the old Citi Bank into a restaurant.

retailisking

Our local indie supermarket (with a funky umbrella theme) switched affiliations to IGA (supplied by Bozzuto's) recently following the collapse of the local Associated Grocers (Shur Fine) distributor. It was rated the #1 grocery store in the state a short while ago.
http://umbrellafactorysupermarket.com/

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on April 15, 2012, 11:00:35 PM
Our local indie supermarket (with a funky umbrella theme) switched affiliations to IGA (supplied by Bozzuto's) recently following the collapse of the local Associated Grocers (Shur Fine) distributor. It was rated the #1 grocery store in the state a short while ago.

AG went out of business??? what happened?/

retailisking

AG of Maine went bust last year, taking with them a number of deposits from members, many of whom could absorb the hit, some of whom (mostly small-volume convenience stores and the like) could not. The series of letters and press releases documenting the bankruptcy case is posted here:
http://www.agofme.com/

AFAIK no other AG distributors were affected, although AG of New England picked up a number of new members.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on April 16, 2012, 04:16:13 PM
AG of Maine went bust last year, taking with them a number of deposits from members, many of whom could absorb the hit, some of whom (mostly small-volume convenience stores and the like) could not. The series of letters and press releases documenting the bankruptcy case is posted here:
http://www.agofme.com/

AFAIK no other AG distributors were affected, although AG of New England picked up a number of new members.

I was always wondered why AG had 2 companies in New England!!

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on April 08, 2012, 03:58:21 PM
Discount Food Outlet (owned by Bozzuto's and was at one time Adam's and before that WAZ's IGA and FINAST before that) in Bristol, Connecticut closed in March 2012. The building will be demolished this summer for a new McDonald's as part of the redevelopment of the former Bristol Centre Mall Property. - These 2 signs were on the building.

And Discount Food Outlet had its date with the demolition team on Tuesday May 29, 2012. It took a few days to take everything down.

Here's a link to a video The Bristol Press had on its Facebook Page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU7v3rJ1Gu4&feature=share

retailisking

Our local IGA (Umbrella Factory Supermarket/Tony's Foodland) in Naples, ME is changing distributors; they're going with Hannaford. The changeover is already underway and should be complete in March.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: retailisking on February 22, 2013, 08:28:42 AM
Our local IGA (Umbrella Factory Supermarket/Tony's Foodland) in Naples, ME is changing distributors; they're going with Hannaford. The changeover is already underway and should be complete in March.
Are they still going to be an IGA Store?

retailisking

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on February 22, 2013, 03:59:25 PM
Are they still going to be an IGA Store?

Nope. Here's their current website which should give you an idea of the extent of the co-branding:

BillyGr

If anything, they might wind up using Shop n Save somewhere (which is what several stores in our area that are supplied by Hannaford, but still independently owned, do) - maybe just to replace the IGA logo on the website :)

JimSawhill

Quote from: BillyGr on February 22, 2013, 08:35:59 PM
If anything, they might wind up using Shop n Save somewhere (which is what several stores in our area that are supplied by Hannaford, but still independently owned, do) - maybe just to replace the IGA logo on the website :)

Just like the old SweetLife Food co-op did with 'Yankee Supermarket' the Yankee Lable was on Andy's Supermarket in East Hartford...(where shop Rite is now) and Sam Crispino's Supreme Foods on Hartford Road in Manchester...

Anyone remember SweetLife??

retailisking

I have vague memories of Sweet Life, which was based in Suffield, CT and supplied independent stores in New England. SuperValu bought them in 1994, which gave them an enhanced presence in the region following their 1992 purchase of Wetterau. Interestingly, apart from supplying Save-A-Lot licensees Supervalu does no business with independent supermarkets in the region AFAIK. I think C&S took on those indie accounts when they swapped distribution assets with SVU.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on February 23, 2013, 02:26:09 PM
I have vague memories of Sweet Life, which was based in Suffield, CT and supplied independent stores in New England. SuperValu bought them in 1994, which gave them an enhanced presence in the region following their 1992 purchase of Wetterau. Interestingly, apart from supplying Save-A-Lot licensees Supervalu does no business with independent supermarkets in the region AFAIK. I think C&S took on those indie accounts when they swapped distribution assets with SVU.

Sweet Life was a great company... my parents used to go to Top Notch on Silver Lane (heard it is an Aldi's now). My friend's dad was one of the presidents of it!!

retailisking

It's official - the IGA is becoming a Shop 'n Save:

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on March 02, 2013, 04:09:51 AM
It's official - the IGA is becoming a Shop 'n Save:

So the Umbrella Factory will be renamed?? Cool name for a supermarket? Know why it is called that??

retailisking

It's so-called because there are actual umbrellas hanging from the ceiling throughout the store:

And, by the way, the transition to Shop n' Save is complete; they were able to retain their Umbrella Factory branding (and the umbrellas) despite the partnership with Hannaford. Here you can see their "new" checkout, which has the telltale Hannaford-supplied POS system. The guy is David Allenson, the owner; he is "buying" a roll of My Essentials Toilet Tissue:

This has to be a bittersweet time for Allenson, who expanded his store a few years ago in order to compete with the Bridgton Hannaford, only to be assimilated by the Borg. Here's what he had to say three years ago as part of a profile after being selected as Grocer of the Year. In the profile he explains why his store is filled with such bric-a-brac:
http://www.bridgton.com/tony%E2%80%99s-foodland-named-grocer-of-year/

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on March 22, 2013, 10:12:11 PM
It's so-called because there are actual umbrellas hanging from the ceiling throughout the store:

And, by the way, the transition to Shop n' Save is complete; they were able to retain their Umbrella Factory branding (and the umbrellas) despite the partnership with Hannaford. Here you can see their "new" checkout, which has the telltale Hannaford-supplied POS system. The guy is David Allenson, the owner; he is "buying" a roll of My Essentials Toilet Tissue:

This has to be a bittersweet time for Allenson, who expanded his store a few years ago in order to compete with the Bridgton Hannaford, only to be assimilated by the Borg. Here's what he had to say three years ago as part of a profile after being selected as Grocer of the Year. In the profile he explains why his store is filled with such bric-a-brac:
http://www.bridgton.com/tony%E2%80%99s-foodland-named-grocer-of-year/

I'm surprised buzzoto's doesn't open IGAs in NH, ME and VT

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

One of my local IGA Stores, "Portage Lakes IGA", is going to be closing soon. The owner has decided to go into retirement. Another locally owned grocery store called, "Buehler's Fresh Foods" is going to take over Portage Lakes IGA. It kind of stinks because Portage Lakes IGA is my back-up IGA Store. At the same time, at least the main IGA Store that I shop at is owned by another family. Therefore, It should still be in pretty good shape.

Here is a link to Portage Lakes IGA website: http://www.igaportagelakes.com/

Here is a link to Buehler's Fresh Foods website: http://www.buehlers.com/

retailisking

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 28, 2013, 01:12:53 PM
I'm surprised buzzoto's doesn't open IGAs in NH, ME and VT

I don't think owning supermarkets outright is really Bozzuto's core competency; their thing is distribution. C&S was a bust at owning retail outlets, too, and Supervalu made a (bigger) mess of Albertsons. Hannaford (Delhaize) seems to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time, though.

ynkeesfn82

Roger's Marketplace (affiliated with IGA) at 45 Chamberlain Highway in the Kensington section of Berlin, Connecticut is closing its doors for good on January 17, 2015. The store was previously owned by the Gnazzo family who owns Gnazzo Supermarket (which is affiliated with IGA) in Plainville. 45 Chamberlain Highway was home to Sussman's Supermarket of New Britain back in the day. (I don't recall what year Gnazzo's sold the store)

From Roger's Marketplace's Facebook Page:

Roger’s Marketplace to close after 27 years of serving the Kensington! After nearly 3 decades of serving Kensington and our surrounding towns. The last day of operations will be Saturday 1/17/15. The changing face of food retailing along with a struggling economy has forced this difficult decision.

Roger’s Marketplace is proud to have served the Kensington community since 1988! My family and loyal associates have taken tremendous pride in providing top quality products daily along with the friendliest service in town. Over the past 27 years we have employed thousands of people, many who may have been your neighbors, friends, or relatives. Our long line of associates has even created a beautiful marriage between them. We have even employed a current Hollywood actor!

We have thoroughly enjoyed partaking in hundreds of community projects and events over the years. Roger’s has proudly sponsored many local youth sports such as Little League Baseball and Softball, Travel Basketball, Midget Football, Cheerleading, Soccer, American Legion Baseball and many other School Programs as well.

Roger’s associates have worked with several Non Profit groups as well, including the Berlin Lions club, Berlin Upbeat, Friendship Center, Salvation Army, Prudence Crandall Center and Scouting. We have assisted in delivering meals and food to needy families in Berlin and New Britain each and every holiday season.

Roger’s has been fortunate enough to have been named the Family Business of the Year by the Berlin and New Britain Chamber of Commerce’s twice in the last 15 years. We also have been voted the best Grocery Store by both the New Britain Herald and Berlin Citizen Readers several times.

We have enjoyed hosting several events and programs throughout the years. One of the most successful was the Educational Edge Program which allowed us with our loyal customers help donate over $70,000 worth of school supplies to many local schools! Our Annual Holiday Open House was one of the most looked to events in town for many years! That night allowed us to showcase, with our local vendors assistance many holiday foods for sampling. We would also give away hundreds of raffle items as well as hold events for the kids , such as our now famous “Turkey Bowling “ ! In addition we were always happy to work with our local Police and Fire Departments in hosting “Stuff a Cruiser and Fill the Engine” events designed to collect non perishable food donations for local food banks. Of course no one will forget our famous parking lot events, including the Kid’s Day, Rock Cat’s night and many others!

Words cannot describe the happiness my family and I have enjoyed in being a part of this wonderful community we have served for over 27 years. I will never forget the great friends made, the wonderful customers, the fantastic suppliers and most of all the loyal, dedicated and caring associates I have been privileged to work with. Please join us on Saturday 1/17/15 for Free Coffee and Cookies as we say goodbye and Thanks to all of you!

Roger Perno

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on January 13, 2015, 01:34:46 PM
Here's an article from today's New Britain Herald about the closing of Roger's IGA Marketplace.

Marc.. is it still empty?? If not... what is in there now?

ynkeesfn82

Yes, it's still empty. The old Roger's IGA (Gnazzo's before that and originally Sussman's).

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on July 04, 2015, 12:39:28 PM
Yes, it's still empty. The old Roger's IGA (Gnazzo's before that and originally Sussman's).

Hmmm... I guess nobody is opening up things in CT...Is it in a shopping center??

ynkeesfn82

Yes the vacant Roger's Marketplace in Berlin was in a shopping center - Ferndale Plaza. So the only grocery store in Berlin is Stop & Shop on Farmington Ave. If they don't want to go there they have to hit the Turnpike and go to Newington where they have Price Chopper, Aldi, and Stew Leonard's or Best Market in downtown Newington. There's also no place in Berlin to build a full-size grocery store. Ocean State Job Lot has stated they don't want a grocery store in the Webster Plaza in Berlin, which they own.