Main Menu

IGA

Started by Zayre88, May 18, 2005, 08:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kmart4life

The IGA in my area is now for sale the owners have finally fought there battle and now the store will be back full force.

Kmart4life

Update:
Our IGA is now closed. The co owners of the store sued and counter sued each other over the store and the judge ruled that the store be closed for good. It looks like we will be getting a Save A Lot.

wiseguy93

Food World (IGA) is located in Letcher County, Kentucky. As far as I know there is only two locations. The county seat of Whitesburg at the Whitesburg Plaza which is anchored by Wal Mart. And Fleming - Neon, Kentucky at the old Maloney's shopping center. They have been in busy for a least 20 years at Whitesburg. I'am not sure of the ownership but when I when I find out I'll post more.

Here's  picture of Food World at Whitesburg, Plaza.

wiseguy93

This location has been here for several years. Not sure how long it has been there. It's an IGA.

Mobil

All the IGAs in the Philadelphia area were systematically closed for the chain being a co-op. I know two IGAs, both converted to Supervalu, then a co-op called GreatValu, then a local chain called The Fresh Grocer. The Fresh Grocer still sells Supervalu products. There was a former Acme, originally Acme Super Saver, which closed and became an IGA, but it has now closed.
:no::hurt:

DerangedHermit

There's two real small IGA's in my town. They're about a 1/4 mile apart and owned by different owners.

They're both not that good, although the western one (Cirillo's) at least tries to keep up with the times. The other one (Wallen's) looks like a run down bodega.

There's another one a few towns away that used to be Frank's Nursery. The one time I went in there, I noticed they reused signage from an old Stop and Shop, scratching out all mentions of S&S. That was weird, especially since that location never was an S&S.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by DerangedHermit
There's two real small IGA's in my town. They're about a 1/4 mile apart and owned by different owners.

They're both not that good, although the western one (Cirillo's) at least tries to keep up with the times. The other one (Wallen's) looks like a run down bodega.

There's another one a few towns away that used to be Frank's Nursery. The one time I went in there, I noticed they reused signage from an old Stop and Shop, scratching out all mentions of S&S. That was weird, especially since that location never was an S&S.

Ours was small and private owned UNTIL a company bought it out. RICHFOOD. I hate the small isles and HIGH priced frozen mircrowave dinners but sometimes its me last week idea!
JN

Mobil

One IGA near me is a former Acme, another is a former Food Fair.

Parrot32X

The Fleming-Neon IGA has been there at its location for about 25 to 30 years now. It is also interesting to note that the whole Maloney's Plaza is now a building surplus warehouse.

CTAmeshopper

There are many IGAs that I know of

there's an Adam's IGA in Canton/Avon

there's the Winsted Super Saver

that really old one near Litchfeild

a former IGA in Torrington

oh and that Adam's IGA in Watertown.

I almost forgot about The Country Grocer in Thomaston! that looks streight out of the 1970s!

gu4ever

The vacant IGA in Ludlow, VT.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

The Ludlow, VT IGA store logo.

gu4ever

Stopping at a supply store today in Bedford, NH I discovered this shopping cart sitting in the back of the store filled with stock. I decided to take a picture because you don't see carts with the IGA logo on them around here anymore.

gu4ever

Bise's IGA Foodliner, the name sounded familiar but of course I do travel all over the place..... It turns out this cart was not to far away from it's original home in Merrimack, NH.
Bise's was originally located next to the free standing Rite Aid Pharmacy on route 3 south in Merrimack. The store later moved north to the newly built Common's Plaza. I'm not sure the length of time it remained open, but do know another grocery store moved into the location only for a few years. Shaw's opened in the shopping center just south of the Common's Plaza and the competition proved to great for the independent supermarket.

gu4ever

The now closed location of IGA in Lake Placid. The building sits empty and the only trace was this sign in the parking lot.

farmingtonvalleymall

IGA in Canton, CT is gone. Its now a DFO (discount food outlet).

Should be noted here that this location was originally a grocery store called "Mencuccini's". I recall that they lasted til the mid-80's when it became an IGA. Mencuccini's also had a store in Torrington on Migeon Ave back in the day though I don't remember it.

shore72

Mostly small towns locally and many of them had an IGA store at one time. They seemed to be supplied by a wholesaler out of Baltimore named B.Green & Co. I'm guessing they went bust; some of the stores became Food Rite, some Supervalu, at least one became a Sav-a-lot. The only store in my hometown of Preston, MD was an IGA. It had a procession of owners through the years, mostly folks who lived in town and were good to deal with. The last owners sunk a lot of money into upgrades & then switched to Supervalu. When a Food Lion opened 10 minutes away things started going downhill. You could see the problem-folks were no longer going there and filling up their carts, they were just using it like a convenience store. It was very sad to go in there and see the empty aisles. On their last day of business I went in, feeling sorry for them, and decided to fill a basket. I honestly couldn't do it, there wasn't enough stuff left on the shelves that I could find any use for.

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
This store was most recently an IGA - then is was vacant for a couple years before DG moved into the right end - the left was vacant until just this year when the fitness place came in.  I don't know, however, if it was another store before the IGA - if you do, please fill us in - Thanks!

This store was originally a Great American supermarket. I went there a couple times as a little kid. It closed in around 1996. It was vacant for awhile before the IGA moved in.

gu4ever

The IGA store in Cambridge, NY.

gu4ever

The entrance of the IGA store in Cambridge, NY.

C. Fontaine

We have a cozy small town IGA here in Northfield, MA.

palooza68

Derby Ct has a Adams Super food store witch is part of an IGA chain in the area,there is also a store like that in Milford CT!

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The IGA Foodliner in Roanoke, Illinois.

CTAmeshopper

Quote from: farmingtonvalleymall on October 22, 2009, 08:00:07 AM
IGA in Canton, CT is gone. Its now a DFO (discount food outlet).

Should be noted here that this location was originally a grocery store called "Mencuccini's". I recall that they lasted til the mid-80's when it became an IGA. Mencuccini's also had a store in Torrington on Migeon Ave back in the day though I don't remember it.

NO! that's sad news, I thought it was still there!!!

It was still an IGA when it was Mencuccini's it later became Waz's IGA around the mid-80's. BTW the old Mencuccini's is still there on Migeon Avenue it's now being leased by a paper company.

ynkeesfn82

Big Value Market (IGA) in Bantam, CT is getting a new name and new owner. The new name? Bantam Market. The new owner owns Northville Market in the Northville section of New Milford.

http://registercitizen.com/articles/2011/03/09/news/doc4d770a731e613412530226.txt?viewmode=fullstory

nysw3636

I remember shopping at Wendell's IGA in Marlboro,NY. The original Wendell's was on Western Avenue. I'm not sure when they opened that location, but they moved to a NEW Plaza just to the north on RT.9W featuring them and a CVS in the mid-1990's. They closed in the early 2000's (year escapes me). Old Wendell's IGA is now Marlboro Market (Krisdale supplied) and the plaza one is now a Dollar General. CVS is still there...

Bdubs

There are still quite a few Independent stores in CT who are under the IGA name, or sell the IGA brand product. 
Bozzuto's out of cheshire, ct supply all of the IGA's, that may be why.  They are a pretty large company with a very good reputation.

BillyGr

Red Hook (NY) store apparently is closing (or has):

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20110405/BUSINESS/110405010/Red-Hook-IGA-announces-s-closing?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|PoughkeepsieJournal.com|s

http://redhookiga.net/ (Site still works as of today 5/1/11).

Seems to have happened rather suddenly - both of the other mentioned stores are to the South (Hannaford just on the edge of Red Hook, S&S actually closer to Rhinebeck (just above Dutchess Fair grounds) and both have existed for several years now.

ynkeesfn82

Discount Food Outlet (owned by Bozzuto's and was at one time Adam's and before that WAZ's IGA and FINAST before that) in Bristol, Connecticut closed in March 2012. The building will be demolished this summer for a new McDonald's as part of the redevelopment of the former Bristol Centre Mall Property. Took these pictures today April 8, 2012.