Main Menu

IGA

Started by Zayre88, May 18, 2005, 08:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ameskid

I spotted an old abandoned IGA Foodliner a few weeks ago in Cincinnati. I distinctly remember their latest jingle:
"I.....G.....A, you're in, you're out, you're home.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

d_fife

iga in orono maine

d_fife

here is an iga I went by in a town between malone and massena new york. it looks modern

store215

IGA's are a hodge-podge of old stores, with some modern ones mixed in (the modern ones are usually from supermarket chains that have pulled out of the area and taken over by independents)  

IGA seems to be pretty weak in the U.S., but they do great business overseas like in Australia

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
IGA's are a hodge-podge of old stores, with some modern ones mixed in (the modern ones are usually from supermarket chains that have pulled out of the area and taken over by independents)  

IGA seems to be pretty weak in the U.S., but they do great business overseas like in Australia

yah they do, a lot of them closed like one in north woodstock did etc and their stores are old. most are left in places where they are the only supermarket.

d_fife

here i sthe 50,000 sq.ft. iga in presque isle maine on the junctions of main st and north st and it appears it was the zayre stoer.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here i sthe 50,000 sq.ft. iga in presque isle maine on the junctions of main st and north st and it appears it was the zayre stoer.

iga presque isle north & main sts

d_fife

iga presque isle north & main sts

iga presque isle north main sts sign

d_fife

the one in old orchard beach me

d_fife

IGA in cape elizebeth (or cape elizabeth) me

Marc82

Finast Supermarket aka First National had a store on North Main Street in Bristol, CT on the property of the Bristol Centre Mall. Unlike the Finasts in Southington and New Britain the one in Bristol became WAZ's IGA. All the WAZ's IGA became ADAM's IGA after the guy the store was named after died. ADAMS's IGA in Bristol shut down in 2002 or 2003 and is now Discount Food Outlet, but it's still affiliated with Bozzuto's the comapny that supplied the groceries when they were ADAM's. There was previously an IGA on South Street in Bristol, which is now part of Bristol Community Organization.  

In Southington we've got TOP's IGA on the corner of Route 322 and Southend Road in Plantsville. There's no connection between this store and the TOPP's Chain in Upstate New York. The owner is a bi***.  We went shopping there about a couple weeks after we moved to Southington and the bi*** told my mother her Driver's License was not valid because she had a sticker on it from the DMV with our new address on it.

Here's their website: http://www.topsmarket.com/main.htm

In Plainville Gnazzo's on Route 10 (East Street) is the IGA store.  http://www.gnazzos.com/

In Kensington there' Roger's MarketPlace on the Chamberlain Highway. (They used to be Gnazzo's as well)  http://www.rogersmarketplace.com/

And in Rocky Hill they are Westside Market Place.  http://www.west-side-market.com/

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

iga presque isle me in old zayre / ames and 50,000 sq.ft.

d_fife

IGA in millinocket me

d_fife

iga eastport me (eastern most city in US)

d_fife

mikey1972

here is an iga I went by in a town between malone and massena new york. it looks modern

That's the First Americans IGA store on Route 37 in Hogansburg, NY.  It only opened a year or so ago.  It's called "First Americans" because the store is located on the St. Regis Mohawk Indian Reservation.:)

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Around here, IGA is a leading chain of supermarkets.  Here's a pic of the newly opened IGA in my town :P

I know a few locations

Avon,Canton

one around Waterbury

a former location in Torrington closed around early 1990s and it still sits deserted to this day  :hurt::(

I used to go shopping with my Grandma at IGA when I was young then later on she went shopping to Marindos shes passed away now

ahhh the memories:rolleyes:......LOL:insane:

You must be in Connecticut -- Do they still advertise with Uconn's Jim Calhoun?

Gressler's is an IGA store.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Finast Supermarket aka First National had a store on North Main Street in Bristol, CT on the property of the Bristol Centre Mall. Unlike the Finasts in Southington and New Britain the one in Bristol became WAZ's IGA. All the WAZ's IGA became ADAM's IGA after the guy the store was named after died. ADAMS's IGA in Bristol shut down in 2002 or 2003 and is now Discount Food Outlet, but it's still affiliated with Bozzuto's the comapny that supplied the groceries when they were ADAM's. There was previously an IGA on South Street in Bristol, which is now part of Bristol Community Organization.  

In Southington we've got TOP's IGA on the corner of Route 322 and Southend Road in Plantsville. There's no connection between this store and the TOPP's Chain in Upstate New York. The owner is a bi***.  We went shopping there about a couple weeks after we moved to Southington and the bi*** told my mother her Driver's License was not valid because she had a sticker on it from the DMV with our new address on it.

Here's their website: http://www.topsmarket.com/main.htm

In Plainville Gnazzo's on Route 10 (East Street) is the IGA store.  http://www.gnazzos.com/

In Kensington there' Roger's MarketPlace on the Chamberlain Highway. (They used to be Gnazzo's as well)  http://www.rogersmarketplace.com/

And in Rocky Hill they are Westside Market Place.  http://www.west-side-market.com/

And how about that weird one in Canton/Rt.44 that looks like a(n) [old-school] Toys R Us? Their website makes Tops look like a military surplus...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

Marc82

For the second time in less than 6 months New Britain, Connecticut is losing a grocery store. First Shaw's Closed down on October 28 and now ADAM's IGA will be closing down.

In this morning's New Britain Herald I came across a half page ad at the bottom of page 5:

ADAM'S IGA STORE CLOSING
NEW BRITAIN
693 FARMINGTON AVE
860-229-1628

20% OFF EVERYTHING
Stating Tuesday April 10th

EVERYTHING MUST GO!

Excluding:

Milk, Alcohol, Tobacco, Lottery Tickets, Gift Cards, Postage Stamps, Money Orders, or Western Union

Marc's Commentary:

With ADAM's IGA Closing this leaves New Britain with just Super Stop and Shop as the only main-stream supermarket. Other grocery stores include discount chains Save-a-Lot and Price Rite. There is also a location of a store that targets Hispanic Shoppers called C-Town.

This ADAM's IGA has been a grocery store for more than 40 years. Back in the 60s it was called Sussman's. This store is located in the Plaza next to Walmart (Caldor). Actually Walmart is part of the plaza. (I-84 Exit 37. Take a right. Follow it into New Britain for 4 miles or so. It's on the left past  Pulaski Middle School).

Now I realize New Britain is a high-crime city with very high taxes and a lot of low-income people, but you would think a city of 72,000 people would be able to support more than 4 grocery stores (3 of them being discounters). Me thinks Price Chopper needs to look into buying the Shaw's building on West Main Street.

Kmart4life

The IGA in Polk City Florida looks like it is closing as well

Kmart4life

The store in Polk City FL. is not closing as of yet. From what I have been told from the management is that the store is in lingo. The reason is that this is a small town and IGA is the only grocery store within several miles. The only thing close is a Walmart about 7 to 10 miles away.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Here is the other IGA in my town.  This one is an IGA extra.
It opened in the mid 90's as a Sobey's supermarket.  Sobey's owns IGA:  they renamed the Sobey's and renovated the store with a common IGA style.

That same IGA again:

Zayre88

IGA supermarket on site of the former Dionne Spinning Mills.  They're calling the center "Place Dionne".

MikeRa

In Philadelphia, Pa, we used to have a O&O-IGA that was at the Parkwood Shopping Center (Acamdey & Byberry Road).

This IGA opened in 1983 in a shuttered Centential/Colonial A&P Supermarket building (This A&P closed when A&P "tried" to leave the Philadelphia, PA area, but then reopened most of their A&P stores as "Super Fresh").

This IGA closed in 1998.  The A&P/O&O-IGA building was demolished earlier this year and Rite Aid built a new store on it's site.

:saint:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Kmart4life

The reason for this store being in ling is that it is privately owned by 2 different people  and one of the gentlemen has decided to sell out his portion of the store but there are apparently some issues because the store stays half empty all the time and they have lost 98% of their customers to the local Walmart Super Center.

standa

Does anyone know  what store is in the building at Bishop's Corner, West Hartford, CT that was years ago a Lord & Taylor, then a Caldor, then a Finast, then an Edwards, then an Adam's IGA food store?   I visited it about 14 years ago when it was Edwards, but a few years later when Ahold USA bought Stop & Shop, it became Adam's (which I think now closed).

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by standa
Does anyone know  what store is in the building at Bishop's Corner, West Hartford, CT that was years ago a Lord & Taylor, then a Caldor, then a Finast, then an Edwards, then an Adam's IGA food store?   I visited it about 14 years ago when it was Edwards, but a few years later when Ahold USA bought Stop & Shop, it became Adam's (which I think now closed).

Marshall's took over the frontage. The rear, formerly Adam's, is still vacant.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr