Whole Foods

Started by Marc82, October 21, 2006, 07:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

There are rumours that WholeFoods Market will be opening stores in Southington and New Britain within the next year. WholeFoods specializes in "All Natual" Foods and other healthy junk like that.  Southington location is gonna be on Route 229 (I-84 Exit 31). New Britian location most likely gonna be the old Shaw's on West Main Street.

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

C. Fontaine

An all-organic supermarket.  When I can afford it I shop for bread there.  Here in Providence it draws a mix of health-conscious people, from the upper class to hemp-toting bob marley fans!

http://www.wholefoods.com/

Caldor1999

there opening on were i am cause the stop & shop i work at is closing to become one
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

C. Fontaine

I agree, they're very clean cut supermarkets but pricey.

U-save

Whole Foods aka the "notorious Whole Paycheck" where the
hollywood Bloviators and  Vegan Hippies love to  grocery shop.

I have one near me in Princeton in an former Pathmark. Seriously. They are good at what they do. and IMO not That pricey on everything.  BTW has anyone been at one of those DisneyWorld/Wegmans-like Super Whole Foods. They are building them like crazy across the country. Founder John Mackey is the Sam Walton of Organic Retail . That said. I'll stick to Giant, Acme, WMT and Shop Rite, though.

standa

Is the Wild Oats that was supposed to open at the Milford (CT) Marketplace going to be a Whole Foods?

retailisking

retailisking

Part of the former Whole Foods in Wellesley Hills, MA is apparently going to be a (shudder) bank...
http://www.theswellesleyreport.com/2011/12/very-sex-y-business-moving-into-old-wellesley-hills-whole-foods-spot/

retailisking

Whole Foods is finally coming to the Albany area - at Sears, believe it or not.  Trader Joes, ShopRite, and now Whole Foods - can Wegmans be far behind?
http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/morning_call/2012/05/whole-foods-market-signs-lease-for.html
http://blog.timesunion.com/business/whole-foods-reportedly-taking-first-floor-space-in-colonie-center-sears/53650/

At least one essayist isn't happy with WFM's choice of location - in a mall that is already crowded
http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2012/05/06/oh-whole-foods-why-colonie-center

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on May 08, 2012, 01:04:01 AM
Whole Foods is finally coming to the Albany area - at Sears, believe it or not.  Trader Joes, ShopRite, and now Whole Foods - can Wegmans be far behind?
http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/morning_call/2012/05/whole-foods-market-signs-lease-for.html
http://blog.timesunion.com/business/whole-foods-reportedly-taking-first-floor-space-in-colonie-center-sears/53650/

At least one essayist isn't happy with WFM's choice of location - in a mall that is already crowded
http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2012/05/06/oh-whole-foods-why-colonie-center

The funny part about that:

That end of the mall parking lot (the part between Sears and Central Ave) is usually the last area most people use, so parking there shouldn't be much of an issue (except for December, maybe).

Additionally - if Sears needs to replace the space the Whole Foods is taking over (not sure that they want to) - they seem to have quite a bit of "hidden" space upstairs - they had a clearance area there that was well hidden and appeared to have been offices at one point.

And at least one of the articles suggests that Wegmans might be part of the redeveloped Latham Circle (though who knows if there is still any "deal" between them and PC or not - or if there ever was), and the fact that if Walmart is going there (also mentioned and a logical thought, since they've had problems getting a bigger store in the area) it would be a Supercenter type, which might limit another grocery option in the site (I'd think??).

dmx10101

This is nothing new for Sears. They will lease out any part of any of their stores just about for the right price. Go to shcrealty.com to see what I'm talking about.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

silvfx66

its a great deal for Colonie Center Mall, Sears is smart doing that since that store they have is huge and they do not use all the space anymore.  My concern is Albany is a very price sensitive market, and whole foods ain't cheap on anything.  That being said I think the take out foods and hot bars will do very well.

Scrabbleship

Whole Foods is in talks to buy the leases of 6 Johnnie's Foodmaster locations in the Boston market. The Foodmaster locations in Arlington, Brookline, Charlestown, Melrose, South Weymouth, and Somerville (Beacon St.) would be affected and so far reaction has been mixed.

http://www.boston.com/business/news/2012/08/29/whole-foods-talks-buy-six-johnnie-foodmaster-supermarkets-boston-area-whole-foods-looksat-johnnie-takeover/btF7NC9VeA0OPmcx2b8TgI/story.html

JimSawhill

Whole Foods is in Tampa and some Tampa citizens nicknamed it 'Whole Paycheck'. Nice store to shop in thou!! (I like 'The Fresh Market' better, thou!)

retailisking

The grocery store is not specified, but Whole Paycheck would definitely fit that size, and the demographics are perfect for their second store in the market.
http://www.pressherald.com/news/Dolphin-Companies-announces-plans-for-new-Scarborough-plaza.html

retailisking

They will open at the Turnpike Mall supermarket slot vacated by Market Basket earlier this year
http://www.nhbr.com/August-9-2013/Whole-Foods-to-open-off-Exit-7-in-Nashua/

MikeRa

We have several Whole Foods Market locations in the Philadelphia area:

• 821 W. Lancaster Avenue, Wayne  Pennsylvania
  • 500 W. Germantown Pike, Plymouth Meeting  Pennsylvania
  • 1210 Bethlehem Pike, North Wales  Pennsylvania
  • 475 Wilmington-West Chester Pike, Glen Mills  Pennsylvania (Former Genuardi's
  • 339 East Lancaster Avenue, Wynnewood  Pennsylvania
  • 1575 The Fairway, Jenkintown  Pennsylvania (Former "A Frame" Acme Markets)
  • 2001 Pennsylvania Avenue, Philadelphia  Pennsylvania
  • 929 South Street, Philadelphia  Pennsylvania
  • 940 Route 73 North, Marlton  New Jersey
  • 3495 US Route 1 South, Princeton  New Jersey
And there is one in development in Cherry Hill, NJ.  it will be located at the Ellisburg Shopping Center (1632 North Kings Highway).  It will be located in a former Food Fair/Shop Rite/Genuardi's
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

buzz86us

the Whole Foods in Albany seems like a good idea but IMHO they should have taken the Barnes and Noble across the street it is a very nice space i don't understand why it isn't rented out. Part of sears seems OK though I am not sure on parking I really hope it doesn't make the roads impassable though.

buzz86us

Quote from: silvfx66 on May 14, 2012, 10:45:14 AM
its a great deal for Colonie Center Mall, Sears is smart doing that since that store they have is huge and they do not use all the space anymore.  My concern is Albany is a very price sensitive market, and whole foods ain't cheap on anything.  That being said I think the take out foods and hot bars will do very well.
not true they have a very good selection of value minded wines called Three Wishes for $3, along with the lowest price I have seen on Quinoa at $3.49 per lb (though why they sell it for $7 per lb in their bulk bins has me baffled). Their takeaway foods are pretty competitive too.

mixedday

Whole Foods has been getting a lot of bad press lately, especially from CNN:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/14/investing/whole-foods-fda-warning/index.html

Some of the competitors from what CNN claims however seem very indirect. e.g. Kroger doesn't compete nationally. And, CNN claims Wal-Mart is a competitor to WF. While Wal-Mart has added organics, from what I have heard, I have my doubts if Whole Foods customers are switching to Wal-Mart. More likely, Wal-Mart's organic food sales are coming at the expense of Wal-Mart's conventional food sales, from WM customers.

The two stores sell vastly different items. I could see some customers might go to Costco or Trader Joes for more things, but it's still a quite difference in product selection.

I've wondered if Whole Foods should carry more general products (like normal paper towels, normal toilet paper, and toothpaste, etc.) to increase sales at stores. I get that they are into not selling foods without chemicals, but it seems they also are into environmental causes (like composting, not selling regular items), and this makes them much more different than any traditional grocery store. Yet Whole Foods tends to get hammered when analysts point that competitors like Kroger and Wal-Mart carry the same things, like organics, when that just makes a very small percentage of product overlap.

TheFugitive

Ames cheated me out of a HUGE bonus.

They did it the old fashioned way.....by lying to the Bankruptcy Court.

They told the Court that I had already been paid, which was a bold-faced lie.
But my only recourse was to schedule a hearing at the Bankruptcy Court in New York City
and travel out there from Michigan on my own dime.

If the bankruptcy ever got settled for ten cents on the dollar I just might get
the cost of my own ticket back.

retailisking

TheFugitive

Interesting article about the new stock replenishment system at Whole Foods.

http://www.businessinsider.com/whole-foods-employees-reveal-why-stores-are-facing-a-crisis-of-food-shortages-2018-1

It seems the employees of Whole Foods are not very pleased with their new Amazon overlords.
We've discovered a new labor tactic apparently.....blabbing to the press.   

If this had gone on during my time at Ames or Hills the stories would have been brutal!

Bdubs

Quote from: TheFugitive on January 19, 2018, 02:51:32 PM
Interesting article about the new stock replenishment system at Whole Foods.

http://www.businessinsider.com/whole-foods-employees-reveal-why-stores-are-facing-a-crisis-of-food-shortages-2018-1

It seems the employees of Whole Foods are not very pleased with their new Amazon overlords.
We've discovered a new labor tactic apparently.....blabbing to the press.   

If this had gone on during my time at Ames or Hills the stories would have been brutal!

PriceChopper has a system like this. It is horrible. I don’t know how these companies insist that some computer generated order systems are the answers to their prayers.
These systems just don’t work, and they don’t want to admit it. Especially here in The Northeast. Just think about how busy a store gets before a storm, or how much of a particular product sells during a heatwave. These systems can’t forecast that. And they have a horrible time on the day the store is really busy out of the blue, i.e. a huge snowstorm on a Tuesday. Now, it wants to order excessive inventory because of how much product the store sold so quickly.
And god forbid you go in and manually override the system to make sure your store’s shelves aren’t empty. You’ll get a call from the DM and get reprimanded.
I was in Whole Foods in Glastonbury last week, and there were many products missing from the shelves. It all makes sense now.

giantsfan2016

I missed the article about this system at Whole Foods. About three weeks ago I heard the morning host on Kool Radio the Oldies station in Hartford (96.1), Westerly (104.3), and Springfied (100.1) mention something about Whole Foods having a new system that was making their employees angry and the customers need to be extra nice to the employees and I had no idea what the radio guy was talking about.