CVS bashing

Started by NJxxJon, March 25, 2007, 05:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshAustin610

Many companies consider the space behind a counter to be a wasted space for product; they'd rather have everything out on the floor where customers can pick it up and touch it.  I would expect that space to only be used for advertising in the future; newer stores will probably just have posters instead of fixturing.

Bdubs

I was in New Orleans last month. I stopped into a CVS and I am laughing to myself as Im waiting in line. Just as TheFugitive pointed out about their "healthy" choice to stop selling cigs signs behind the counter. Meanwhile, this store is loaded with 2 aisles of hard liquor, 1 aisle of wine, and a walk in cooler dedicated to only beer. Right at the registers are casecut stacks of beer. Oh, the irony.

MikeRa

Quote from: Bdubs on December 12, 2014, 09:33:00 PM
I was in New Orleans last month. I stopped into a CVS and I am laughing to myself as Im waiting in line. Just as TheFugitive pointed out about their "healthy" choice to stop selling cigs signs behind the counter. Meanwhile, this store is loaded with 2 aisles of hard liquor, 1 aisle of wine, and a walk in cooler dedicated to only beer. Right at the registers are casecut stacks of beer. Oh, the irony.
The only CVS that don't sell hard liquors, wines or beers are the ones in PA, where the hard liquor and wines are sold at State Stores owned by the Commonwealth of PA
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

TheFugitive

Quote from: JoshAustin610 on December 12, 2014, 08:13:14 PM
Many companies consider the space behind a counter to be a wasted space for product; they'd rather have everything out on the floor where customers can pick it up and touch it.  I would expect that space to only be used for advertising in the future; newer stores will probably just have posters instead of fixturing.

Not in my neighborhood!   :D

BillyGr

Quote from: MikeRa on December 13, 2014, 06:58:47 PM
The only CVS that don't sell hard liquors, wines or beers are the ones in PA, where the hard liquor and wines are sold at State Stores owned by the Commonwealth of PA

NY stores only are allowed to sell beer (and wine "coolers" - regular wine & liquor are limited to designated liquor stores (not state operated, but they only carry wine & liquor products).

Bdubs

No alcohol at all in any pharmacies here in CT. Just grocery stores, mini marts, select gas stations, and liquor stores. That could also be why I found it so strange walking into a CVS out of state

TheFugitive

Pennsylvania has by far the most arcane liquor laws this side of Utah.

Wine and hard liquors can only be sold at what were called here for many years
"State Stores".  That is the wholesale and retail distribution of liquor is a government
enterprise, sold in stores that are owned and operated by state government.

Beer can be sold in six packs at taverns and certain other establishments (pizza places, etc.)
holding the proper license.  Cases and kegs of beer can only be sold by specialized "beer
distributors" however.

Many attempts have been made to reform this system.  All have failed.  Largely because the
people who hold licenses for beer distributors, along with the union that represents state store
employees, form a powerful lobby.  They manage to strangle any attempts to privatize this system
or to allow general retailers to sell alcohol.  That and the state is not really sure how to replace the
massive hole in the budget if they give up the profits from the state store system.

Some attempts have been made to make the state store system more consumer friendly.  The stores
have been remodeled, made more shoppable, and renamed "Good Wine and Spirits" as opposed to
"State Store".  And Sunday sales were finally approved a few years back.  This has helped to stymie
reform efforts.

jason83080

I haven't been inside of a CVS store in months. The one that I used to frequent closed two years ago, and the other three are so out of the way that it's not even worth it. One of those is in a bad traffic spot - Avon Commons has a lot of exiting traffic heading past it to get to the highway, so turning left INTO the place is a pain, and it's not worth sitting in traffic to turn around to come back and turn right to get in - while the other two are just so far from me. Walgreens is closer than either CVS, and it has three different entrance points - a shared driveway with a medical center and the two driveways for the 50%-occupied neighboring plaza - so there's always an easy way to get in.

As for keyring cards - I saw the above posts - here's what I have on my "92.3 The Beat - Cleveland's Jammin Oldies" keyring from 1999:

* Hallmark Crown Rewards
* Pilot/Flying J "My Rewards"
* Walgreens Balance Rewards
* Petco Pals
* Big Lots Buzz Club Rewards
* Rite Aid Wellness+
* Kmart Shop Your Way Rewards
* Petsmart Pet Perks
* Best Buy Reward Zone
* Toys "R" Us Rewards "R" Us
* CVS/pharmacy ExtraCare
* Giant Eagle Advantage Card
* AutoZone Rewards
* MyLowe's
* Speedway Speedy Rewards

I had a Pet Supplies Plus card, but I never go there, so I tossed it. Likewise, my Books-A-Million Millionaire's Club card expired, so I tossed that one as well.

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on November 02, 2014, 12:14:22 PM
Quote from: Marc82 on January 01, 2010, 06:12:47 PM
All I ask for is one universal card that will get me the sale prices at any store. That way if I'm on vacation and I stop at a store I don't have a card for, it wouldn't matter.

On my key chain I have:

Shaw's (none around here anymore).
Southington Public Library (Wonder if that will work at The Bristol Library).
Shoprite
Border's
CVS
Stop & Shop
Price Chopper
I have on my key chain:

Acme
Bottom Dollar Food
GIANT [PA]
ShopRite
superfresh
fye Backstage Pass
Big Lots Buzz Rewards
CVS
Rite Aid
Penndel Drugs
Walgreens
Kmart/Sears Shop Your Way Rewards
Modell's Sporting Goods
Dick's Sporting Goods
Belly
Regal Crown Card
Redner's Pump Perks
Super G Bonuscard
Cards I currently now have on my keyring:
Main
Acme SuperCard (used for My Mixx program)
GIANT [PA]
ShopRite Price Plus Club
superfresh My + Rewards
Big Lots Buzz Rewards
CVS
Rite Aid Wellness +/Plenti
Penndel Drugs
Walgreens
Kmart/Sears Shop Your Way Rewards
Modell's Sporting Goods
Dick's Sporting Goods
Belly