Target bashing

Started by Kmart4life, March 25, 2007, 12:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

That's not entirely true.

Read on: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

Target donates privately but it has become a widely known policy of theirs not to allow solicitors or collectors of any kind to stand outside their stores. Enter "Target donate" in Google for more.

Now I think the Salvation Army is a wonderful organization but do people really need to hassled at the mall, grocery store of all and any kind around Christmas?! It's tiring to be ambushed or guilt-tripped into donating and then feeling like we're being judged for not doing so. Those who want to donate will and those that don't won't. There's nothing more that annoys me than people who donate because they're worried about what others think if they don't give a few quarters to the guy freezing his butt off in front of Stop & Shop ringing a bell.

I suppose if you find the practice of banning bell ringers repugnant, don't give Target your retail dollars.

On the other hand Walmart gives craploads of money plus allows ringers but because they're the #1 retailer whose seen some ugly practices reared over the years, they've become the ire of many who believe the company is just evil.

You can't win...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

videogamer75

Alright, I get your gist on their donations to veterans. After all, that was simply based off something I read online. I'm glad to know that they do indeed care about veterans and are willing to give money for their cause. As for the situation with the Salvation Army, perhaps they could simply allow a box for donations at the register instead of having a bell-ringer, which would solve the problems you mentioned, such as ''people being worried what others think if they don't donate''. Although personally, I don't feel ''pressured'' at all to donate to the Salvation Army when they have the bell-ringers, I just do it because I believe in their cause  to help people around the world.

Marc82

The commercials lately have been really bad.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
The commercials lately have been really bad.
...Not to mention that they ripped off the old 1970s/1980s ShopKo slogan, "Say hello to a good buy" in one of their commercials. It's weird that a discount store chain from Minnesota would rip off a slogan from a discount store chain from Wisconsin.

Zayre88

What I hate about Target is that they got rid of the Target Brand and replaced it by Up&Up.  I hate that new brand name and the logo with arrow.  It looks awful in the store with aisles full of arrows of various colors.

Quote from: Zayre88 on August 01, 2010, 07:31:02 AM
What I hate about Target is that they got rid of the Target Brand and replaced it by Up&Up.  I hate that new brand name and the logo with arrow.  It looks awful in the store with aisles full of arrows of various colors.

I guess the new brand must not be "on the up and up" for you.

Zayre88

Quote from: zonemad96 on September 26, 2010, 05:16:22 PM
I love target theirs only one tiny problem something I can buy at walmart for 10 dollars cost 12-15 at target which blows because i much rather shop at target but its way to more pricey at target other than that i have no problem with target and i love their food cafe their food is great sometimes i go in their just for the food

Yes Target is slightly higher priced on almost everything.  Like 8-pack mini chocolate bars is $1.00 at Walmart but will be at $1.04 at Target.  They should try to match it!

Sometimes Target has something on sale that will be lower than at Walmart.  That makes me mad because I will tend to buy that at Walmart for price but then go to Target and what do you know, it's on sale!

XDeSuEhTX

I don't have much experience with Target, there has never been a location near me. However, I have briefly been inside of one and I find the store quite attractive.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

ynkeesfn82

If I want to buy a brand new book I'll buy it at Target or Walmart because they sell books cheaper than other retailers that sell books. Target in Southington (where I live) does not have Lisa Gardner's new book Fear Nothing. Neither do the 3 Walmart's near me. Lisa Gardner has a link on her website to buy the book on TARGET.COM, WALMART.COM, and other online retailers, but when I'm shelling out good money for a brand new book I prefer to skim through the book before deciding whether or not to buy it.

zonemad96

Why does everything they sell have to be just slightly more expensive than walmart? Those 10 cents here and their start to really add up when your purchasing a whole cart of products. I have even seen products that are more than $2-5 more expensive at target, that's just a ripoff period.

TheFugitive

Their store in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania might be a contender for Worst Store Location EVER!

All of the prevailing traffic heads east off of PA 51 along Lebanon Church Road towards Century III Mall
and surrounding shopping centers (Century Square, Southland Shopping Center, Sam's Club, Super
Walmart, etc.)

For inexplicable reasons Target chose to locate on the westbound side of the road, along a divided highway.
And it is tucked-back atop a hillside where eastbound traffic can't even really see the store unless you
are really looking hard for the sign.

I rarely shop there, because whenever the thought occurs to me to go in there, I have already passed
it, and have no desire to cross the divided highway just to make one stop.

And traffic that normally heads west on this road towards Pittsburgh is coming up from rather depressed
former steel towns in the Monongahela Valley.

I am fairly certain whomever selected that site got fired soon afterwards.  There are plenty of better,
vacant locations surrounding Century III.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on February 08, 2014, 09:29:28 AM
If I want to buy a brand new book I'll buy it at Target or Walmart because they sell books cheaper than other retailers that sell books. Target in Southington (where I live) does not have Lisa Gardner's new book Fear Nothing. Neither do the 3 Walmart's near me. Lisa Gardner has a link on her website to buy the book on TARGET.COM, WALMART.COM, and other online retailers, but when I'm shelling out good money for a brand new book I prefer to skim through the book before deciding whether or not to buy it.

Target finally got the book in last week. I bought it when I went to the Meriden, CT store. I read a few chapters and didn't like. Returned it for store credit on Friday.

Ameskid

To add to the comparisons already made between Wal-Mart and Target...both are cookie-cutter stores.  With so many store renovations going on recently, there are only a couple of possible store layouts/designs.

This struck me when I noticed that the Target I visited in Albuquerque, New Mexico was almost identical to my local store outside of Cincinnati, Ohio.  It makes shopping bland and repetitive. If that's what Target corporate was going for, then they've hit it right on the bulls-eye.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Hudsons81

Quote from: Ameskid on June 25, 2015, 09:07:24 PM
To add to the comparisons already made between Wal-Mart and Target...both are cookie-cutter stores.  With so many store renovations going on recently, there are only a couple of possible store layouts/designs.

This struck me when I noticed that the Target I visited in Albuquerque, New Mexico was almost identical to my local store outside of Cincinnati, Ohio.  It makes shopping bland and repetitive. If that's what Target corporate was going for, then they've hit it right on the bulls-eye.

Did it look anything like my local store in Taylor, Michigan?

Ameskid

Quote from: Hudsons81 on June 26, 2015, 10:26:58 AM

That seems to be a different layout that I have not seen before. Not sure I've been to one that includes the cafe - my local store has a Starbucks and snack stand (not the snack bar found in many pre-renovation Targets), featuring Pizza Hut products and miscellaneous snacks.

Was that store anything before a Target? The layout looks rather unusual, especially around the checkouts.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Hudsons81

Quote from: Ameskid on June 27, 2015, 11:46:35 PM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on June 26, 2015, 10:26:58 AM

That seems to be a different layout that I have not seen before. Not sure I've been to one that includes the cafe - my local store has a Starbucks and snack stand (not the snack bar found in many pre-renovation Targets), featuring Pizza Hut products and miscellaneous snacks.

Was that store anything before a Target? The layout looks rather unusual, especially around the checkouts.

Nope. This store was built from scratch as a Target.

M.R.CALDOR

>:( >:( >:( >:(
I loathe Target and vow to never set foot inside their stores ever again because of what happened to Graham Gentles. He was an autistic man who worked for the company as a store associate. Well, his bosses didn't like the way he was acting around employees, he was a bit too friendly with them, something he couldn't help given his disability, so they framed him for robbing the store to get him off payroll and if that wasn't enough, they handcuffed Gentles and paraded him around the store as if he were a criminal. Hours later, after he had returned home, Gentles was in such emotional distress over what transpired that he committed suicide and his mother will never get her son back, all because the bigwigs at top were ignorant as to how to treat disabled people. They made no effort to help him, and could have at least gotten him a job coach to monitor him while on duty. They also have made no attempt to help his mother. I never did find out if she ever won her lawsuit against the company, but just from hearing the story has turned me off of Target forever. I am autistic and a big advocate for my community, so this story touched a nerve, I hope they go out of business someday, it would be much deserved karma.

Kmart4life

Autistic or not an associate who is willing to be friendly and help his or her customers is what customer service is about. We had a kid at the Ace Hardware that I worked at who was autistic and all the customers asked for him by name when it came to paint mixing and anything associated with paint. He never had an unsatisfied customer and was a real positive piece of the puzzle on our team. It's a shame that Target did this.  >:(

This is perhaps a local issue that does not represent anything Target stands for...

I'd be very angry if this happened to me.

I have Asperger's Syndrome.