Winn-Dixie

Started by store215, February 22, 2005, 03:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdsong

Winn Dixie is really a southern persons best friend. They have the best selection of products eirther in their bakery or deli or elsewhere in the store to make a down home southern meal!

wiseguy93

There use to be a Winn Dixie in Pikeville Kentucky does anybody have any information on it. I know it was between Goody's and the Wal Mart Supercenter it is now a Food City. I'll snap a picture next time I'am over there.

wiseguy93

Winn Dixie in Hazard kentucky was located in the same shopping center that was also anchored by Rose's which is now a Big Lots. Winn Dixie was open about five years ago but when I was over there this pass May I noticed it was now some time of Wholesale Supermarket. Does anybody have information on this store. I'll try to get a picture next time I'am there.

wiseguy93

Tennessee chain buying 10 Winn-Dixie stores in Kentucky
October 26, 2004
Associated Press
LEXINGTON, Ky. - E.W. James & Sons Supermarkets of Union City, Tenn., has purchased 10
Winn-Dixie stores in Kentucky, stretching from Lexington to Princeton.
The stores will not be closed while they are being converted to E.W. James & Sons
Supermarkets, the Tennessee company said. Conversion is to be completed by Dec. 31.
"We believe customers are far more inconvenienced by a closed store than one that remains
open while going through a carefully planned remodel," David James, chief executive officer of
E.W. James & Sons, said in a written statement.
The price was not disclosed.
Besides Lexington and Princeton, the stores are located in Richmond, Bowling Green, Glasgow,
Hopkinsville, Leitchfield and Elizabethtown. Three of the stores are in Lexington.
Winn-Dixie employees are being encouraged to join E.W. James, said Mandy Oakes,
spokeswoman for the company. "They are looking to keep as many of the employees as
possible," she said.
The number of employees affected was not available.
Chuck Gilmer, editor of the Southeast edition of the grocery trade publication The Shelby
Report, said the Winn-Dixie supermarkets in Kentucky represent "a big opportunity for an
independent grocer" such as E.W. James. "They can pick these locations at a good price."
Communities also benefit, Gilmer added. Workers keep their jobs, and there aren't more empty
"big-box" stores to fill.
Oakes described E.W. James as "a home-grown, family operation" that attempts to create "a
friendly, homey environment" in its stores.
"We are known for service; we are known for high-quality products," said Mike Coley, director
of marketing. "We are known for our delis, bakeries and meats."
The company was founded in 1934 in Hickman.
Before it bought the 10 Winn-Dixies, the company had about 25 stores in Kentucky, Tennessee,
Arkansas and Mississippi. Most were E.W. James & Sons Supermarkets, but half a dozen were
Save-A-Lot stores.
The company is privately owned and operated by two generations of the founder's family: His
son, David James, is CEO; his granddaughter, Lee Ann James, is president; and his grandson,
David James, is director of food services.
The company, battered in recent quarters by declining earnings, announced in April that it
planned to close or sell all 156 of its supermarkets in Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana and Virginia.
Winn-Dixie, which is based in Jacksonville, Fla., said the goal was to refocus its efforts on eight
Southern states where it has 922 stores.
The company's stock lost 2 cents a share, or 0.62 percent, Monday in trading on the New York
Stock Exchange. The closing price was $3.27 a share.

wiseguy93

Radcliff, Kentucky now shut down Winn Dixie just built in 1996. This building is for sale or least.

wiseguy93

classic old style Winn Dixie in Enterpise Alabama

wiseguy93

classic old style Winn Dixie in Enterpise Alabama

wiseguy93

Former Winn Dixie at South Rockdale Shopping Center in Conyers, Georgia. This one was 62,000 s.f. Sad to see them close always enjoyed stopping at them.

wiseguy93

Winn Dixie MARKETPLACE Closed in Auburn, Alabama at University Crossing.

wiseguy93

Riverside York Healthcare Center a former Winn Dixie Marketplace located Grafton,Virginia. in the York Square Shopping Center

wiseguy93

Farm Fresh. used to be a Winn Dixie. in Grafton in The Shops at Yorktown Shopping Center. Winn Dixie closed in 2006

Joeg

I worked for Winn-Dixie from 2003 to 2005 and I worked in South Carolina.

They had good prices, but just never re-modeled their stores and they beacame runned down.

dmx10101

Newly remodeled Winn-Dixie in Jacksonville, FL

Story about it-

'New' Winn-Dixie store has some additional touches

Renovated downtown store held its grand opening Wednesday

By Mark Basch, The Times-Union

The first thing you'll notice when you walk into Winn-Dixie Stores Inc.'s downtown Jacksonville supermarket - after seeing the renovated exterior - is an atrium with a floral department.

"This was something you didn't have before," said Winn-Dixie CEO Peter Lynch, as he explained the company's strategy of remaking stores focused on "being fresh and being local."

Jacksonville-based Winn-Dixie held an official grand opening ceremony Wednesday to show off the newly renovated store at 777 Market St., between Union and Beaver streets. The company spent about $3 million to upgrade the store, which included 2,400 square feet of additional space.

"The store had just become old and tired," Lynch said. "The layout wasn't the right layout to provide this type of shopping experience for the consumer."

At about 30,000 square feet now, the downtown store is still smaller than the average Winn-Dixie supermarket, which is about 43,000 square feet. But the store now offers most of the products Winn-Dixie customers can get in other stores. Besides the floral department, the store now offers seafood and bakery departments that it didn't have before, Lynch said. And areas such as produce, meat and the pharmacy have been expanded.

The store also has a chicken wing bar, which has become a feature of Winn-Dixie's companywide store renovation program, and other ready-to-eat meal offerings.

One unique feature of this store is a police stop station, where Jacksonville Sheriff's Officers can stop in and do paperwork or speak with residents. Lynch said having the police presence should also make shoppers feel secure.

"I think it's a plus plus for us and them [the police], he said.

Most of all, the renovation of the supermarket in an area where residents have few shopping options demonstrates Winn-Dixie's commitment to the community, Lynch said.

"What we're really trying to do is revitalize this part of the city," he said.

"This store needed improvement and we've done it."
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

wiseguy93

this former Winn Dixie was located at 2450 Memorial Drive. Closed a few years ago. Was located in a really nice building. It is now a pool supply place.

Parrot32X

The Hazard Winn-Dixie was one of the three original anchors of the Hazard Village Shopping Center, along with Rose's and Goody's Family Clothing. Since its opening in 1984, the store done remarkably well, right up until the company had to shut down a lot of stores. Between the time it was revived in 2006 as United Grocery Outlet, it had an attached letter thanking everyone for their support. Of course, as I grew up with this store, I was sad to see it go. But at least it's seeing progress in its new life.
So, wiseguy93, there's the scoop you were looking for on this subject. Hope this helps you in any way.
Oh...and here's the pic you were looking for:

wiseguy93

Thank you sooo much Parrot32x for the information. You wouldn't have a picture of the old Rose's building which is now Big Lots in the same shopping center. Also would like to ask you where was the old Maloney's in Hazard. Or did they have A Heck's. And do you know of any other locations of Maloney's and Heck's in Eastern Kentucky.

Parrot32X

I'm drawing a blank on where the exact location of the Maloney's in Hazard, but I'm guessing it might've been located in the downtown area or something. And as far as a pic goes of the Big Lots/Family Dollar next to the W-D, I'll see if I can't get one next time I'm in town.

However, the only Maloney's I know of was in Neon, now it is a building supply store.

wiseguy93

A former Winn Dixie in Radcliff, Kentucky

wiseguy93

A former Winn Dixie which has shut down.

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

A former Winn Dixie Marketplace now a Food City.

wiseguy93

Parrot32X

Here's the other side of the old Winn-Dixie as well as the old Rose's (now Big Lots, Family Dollar, and a furniture store that has since closed) that I meant to get:

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,279.88,,0,5&amp;cbll=37.280647,-83.230632&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Hazard,+KY&amp;sll=41.829449,-93.594342&amp;sspn=0.529032,1.235962&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=37.263534,-83.190622&amp;spn=0,359.990344&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=37.280647,-83.230632&amp;panoid=ytcLH5ahd_KNo_3wY95rxg&amp;cbp=12,279.88,,0,5" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

retailisking

It will be interesting to see if this combination will work.  The post-bankruptcy W-D has shown some positive sales trends with its renovated stores but the company has continued to lose money. Perhaps Peter Lynch will be able to execute on his turnaround plan more swiftly with W-D in private hands.
http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/winn_dixie_bilo_1219/?cid=upd

Kmart4life

The LedgerNews Published: Monday, December 19, 2011 at 3:03 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, December 19, 2011 at 3:03 p.m.
Page all of 2

GREENVILLE, S.C. | The supermarket chain Winn-Dixie is being sold in a deal valued at $560 million to Bi-Lo LLC, the companies said today, creating a huge grocery operator in the South.

Shares of Winn-Dixie, which has more than twice the number of stores of its buyer, jumped about 70 percent in early trading. The company had struggled in the past, entering into bankruptcy protection in 2005, but has been revamping operations in recent years.

The combined company will have about 690 stores and 63,000 workers in eight states in the southern U.S. Winn-Dixie Stores Inc. will become a privately held subsidiary and its ticker will be removed from the Nasdaq. Bi-Lo is a private company.

Each Winn-Dixie stockholder gets $9.50 per share in cash, a 75 percent premium to the Jacksonville company’s Friday closing stock price. At that price, the deal would be valued at slightly more than $530 million.

Bi-Lo, based in Greenville, S.C., runs 207 supermarkets in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee.

Winn-Dixie runs about 480 grocery stores, including approximately 380 in-store pharmacies, in Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia and Mississippi. It has about 46,000 employees.

The companies said today that no store closings are expected and the name Winn-Dixie will remain because of its strong brand recognition in the South.

“With no overlap in our markets, the combined company will have a perfect geographic fit that will create a stronger platform from which to provide our customers great products at a great value, while continuing to offer exceptional service,” said Bi-Lo Chairman Randall Onstead.

Winn-Dixie’s board has unanimously approved the deal, which is expected to close in the next 60 to 120 days.

The management structure and headquarters location have yet to be determined, but the companies anticipate keeping locations in both Greenville, S.C. and Jacksonville.

Winn-Dixie emerged from bankruptcy protection in 2006. In its most recent quarter, Winn-Dixie’s revenues rose 3 percent, yet the company posted a loss of about $24 million.

Shares rose $3.79 to $9.22 in early trading.

TRU7536

So I am on vacation in Florida and WOW! The prices are way more expensive compared to supermarkets in CT!

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on July 01, 2013, 04:18:37 PM
So I am on vacation in Florida and WOW! The prices are way more expensive compared to supermarkets in CT!

that is true... Publix is the 800 pound gorilla in Florida, and the prices are HIGH. Sweetbay is the chain I shop at, but I'm not sure of what will happen after Bi-Lo controlls them. Publix help is great, but a CT store (Highland Park) could give Publix heartburn.

retailisking

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 09, 2013, 11:39:34 AM
Quote from: TRU7536 on July 01, 2013, 04:18:37 PM

that is true... Publix is the 800 pound gorilla in Florida, and the prices are HIGH. Sweetbay is the chain I shop at, but I'm not sure of what will happen after Bi-Lo controlls them. Publix help is great, but a CT store (Highland Park) could give Publix heartburn.

I suspect the Sweetbay stores will switch to the Winn-Dixie banner.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Photos of a Winn-Dixie Marketplace supermarket in the 1980s
Source: Pleasant Family Shopping.
http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com/2009/06/lifestyles-of-winn-dixie.html

Winn-Dixie Marketplace exterior, 1986:

Winn-Dixie Marketplace interior:

"Prestige Meats" department, 1984:

"Fisherman's Wharf" department, 1984:

"Produce Patch" department, 1985:

"Cheese Shop" department, 1986:

retailisking

The bold graphics resemble their price-impact Harveys format.

http://supermarketnews.com/store-design-construction/fresco-y-mas-comes-5-new-sites