Former Ames Stores on Delmarva Penninsula

Started by DelawareBeachBoy, March 14, 2007, 02:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawareBeachBoy

The following stores aren`t listed in the store locator:

#415 1061 N Dupont Hwy, Dover, DE 19901. It opened 1988, closed 1990. It was close to Dover Downs Raceway, It was going to open as a Zayre's. It was the biggest Ames I shopped in. I think it was 70,000-100,000 sq ft. It had carpet in the clothes department. It is currently a Toys'r'us, and 2 other businesses.

#85 E Glenwood Ave Smyrna,De Smallest Ames I knew.

There more but I don`t know or remember their numbers or locations...

Milford,De

Salisbury,Md (not 2246)

Berlin,Md

Pocomoke City,Md

shore72

I didn't know about the Dover store-it wasn't alive long enough, I guess! The "other" store in Salisbury had an actual address of Fruitland, MD. It was on southbound business route13. I shopped there when they were going out of business; I'm pretty sure it was the summer of '90. There was a Super Fresh at the other end of the center; now the grocery store is a Big Lots. The Ames was subdivided. Part of it became a Central Tractor, later Farm & Family (?) store. (now gone) There is a large independent drug store that I think is in the other half. Tidbit: Salisbury had a "blue" law until the 80s that meant that most stores had to be closed on Sunday. By being just south of town the Ames (and the Nichols down the road) could be open.

I think the Berlin store was just off of US 50 east of town on the right.

Another store that is missing is Cambridge, MD. This was on US 50, westbound. A story: Ames was the only discount dept. store in town. A new shopping center opened up down the road anchored by a Jamesway. Ames ends up closing that store. Then Jamesway goes broke and suddenly Cambridge, a decent sized town, has no such store. Had Ames just stuck around they would have been the only game in town again. Next, KMart buys the Ames, basically tears it down, and builds a big new store in its place. Walmart then does the exact same thing with the Jamesway. Then the KMart closes up! That property has been vacant now for 10 years at least.