Main Menu

WiseBuys

Started by Anonymous, January 17, 2005, 10:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

This is a current ad for WiseBuys, the new stores started in Northern New York by former Ames management

Here's part of the front page (ad is 4 pages, this is about 1/2 of a page):

Anonymous

and this is the bottom half of the back page, showing the locations.  Everything in this ad is either $1 or x/$1 .  It appears that the ads run a couple weeks at a time, since it says starts today and ends Jan 29th (was in a weekly paper for the week of Jan 14-20) :

Zayre88

I can't wait to see what will happen to Wisebuys in 2005...  more stores, more states, website.... :roll:

shakethis1234

store215

Everything looks a little um... Sav-A-Lot like (crap).:mrpink: Can you post some of the other pages?

shakethis1234

Dont have any but they sell alot of good stuff like guns videogames radioshack stuff its a good store MBZ321. only a fifth of the store is food.

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Everything looks a little um... Sav-A-Lot like (crap).:mrpink: Can you post some of the other pages?
True that.  Choco Puffs, generic aspirin, velvet paper towels...  Gotta love those off-brand specials.

Zayre88

Speaking of Wisebuys, did you know that Joe Ettore, chairman of the new chain, was introduced into the DSN Retailing Hall of Fame 3 years ago. Three months later, Ames would go out of business...

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FNP/is_9_41/ai_85591899

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
I can't wait to see what will happen to Wisebuys in 2005...  more stores, more states, website.... :roll:

Well the year is now 2005 any news?:question:

Caldor1999

hmm maby thell come down hear the one thing i dont like about then is that they need a Image like outher retile stores of the past did like Caldor Ames ECT did right now i hope to see them expand and get there own image going and a web sight too
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

shakethis1234

I live near A wisebuy in Plaski Ny in Oswego Co they get good Bussinness there on tv ad if you seen a tv ad of wisebuys you would think of Bass pro shops wise buys does very good in northern Ny because it fishing country Salmon River i am gussing they would expand 2 to 5 stores this year

d_fife

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
gouverneur  ny store

gouverneur ny

d_fife

wisebuys in hamilton ny, and this what I have on this topic is all the wisebuys (I hope there are more since they filled in the void for ames) they have kb toys inside, hardware store insie and payless shoes inside

mikey7290

Anybody hear anything new about the WiseBuys/Hackett's merger?  I heard that once it takes place, all WiseBuys stores would become Hackett's.  That would mean that Hackett's would probably give up their smaller store in Downtown Canton for the WiseBuys store.  Hackett's would then have nine stores (Ogdensburg, Canton, Potsdam, Massena, Gouverneur, Watertown, Tupper Lake, Hamilton and Pulaski.)  Plus, does anybody know if anything is going into the small space next to the Gouverneur WiseBuys on the end of the building?  Someone told me that it was supposed to become a Subway, but nothing is in there yet.

mikey7290

Here's the latest on the Hackett's/WiseBuys merger:  According to today's Watertown (NY) Daily Times, the tables have turned.  Hackett's is no longer buying out WiseBuys, but the opposite.  WiseBuys has agreed to buy Hackett's.  However, despite the sale, ALL WiseBuys stores will change their name to Hackett's.  That means WiseBuys stores in Canton, Gouverneur, Hamilton, Tupper Lake and Pulaski will become Hackett's.  The current smaller Hackett's store in downtown Canton will most likely be closed and the staff moved to the WiseBuys store on the other side of town.  This will bring the Hackett chain up to nine stores with headquareters in Ogdensburg.  Executives from the chain say that there may even be more Hackett's locations to open soon in Western NY like Buffalo, as well as in Pennsylvania and Vermont!

shakethis1234

wisebuys website is www.wisebuysstores.com check it out talks more about their merger and more peple investing into the company

dmx10101

I've never been to the store but I prefer the name Wisebuys to Hacketts. I just sounds better and describes the store better.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

mikey7290

Here is the Hackett's logo, as seen on their website (www.hackettsonline.com).

mikey7290

Here is a pic I took about a year ago of the WiseBuys (or soon to be former WiseBuys) in Gouverneur.  Using MS Paint, I erased the WiseBuys sign from the building and recreated the Hackett's logo.  Here is how the building should look once the sign is changed.

C. Fontaine

Mikey, this location used to be an Ames.  Is there any way you can send me the unedited picture?  Thanks!

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Mikey, this location used to be an Ames.  Is there any way you can send me the unedited picture?  Thanks!

And based on the narrow windows at right of the doors, it may have been a Grant's before...

mikey7290

Here is the pic I posted with the current WiseBuys sign.  This is how the store looks right now.  Sorry but I don't have a pic of this store back when it was still an Ames.:(

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey7290

Here is the pic I posted with the current WiseBuys sign.  This is how the store looks right now.  Sorry but I don't have a pic of this store back when it was still an Ames.:(

Yes, this store used to be a Grants from 1970 until the chain went bankrupt in 1976.  I have a copy I obtained off the Internet of an article from the Gouverneur newspaper (February 1976) when the store closed, complete with a photo of the store.  I could send it along to anyone who is interested or maybe post it here.

C. Fontaine